• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Numpty

Illegitimi non carborundum
Legend Member

Spanglie

Bronze Member
Keep state borders closed until such time that the eastern states have similarly low numbers of confirmed cases. For instance 4 new cases in NSW last week isn’t a massive cause for concern, but is enough for WA to warrant state border closures for a little why longer.

Happy2

Legend Member
57 year old Rural landholders should be allowed free access to and from SA in August and Dec otherwise I'm happy with s hard border
Don't risk it with others though

We will travel soon enough and another set of bad numbers will speed it up even more

D996R

Gold Member
Stay closed. It's the only way for it not to blow up into a second wave. I think MarK McGowan is doing a great job, not pandering to anyone, and making the correct decisions for the State, no matter how much stick he cops Federally. He's got balls, and few other Premiers could learn from him.

cap_nemo

Bronze Member
WA Govt may be forced to open if the Clive Palmer High Court case goes against WA. Then it will be time for secession!

We'll see what happens there.... surprised Palmer isn't pushing for Vic to open again! Closing borders to only some states is actually unconstitutional after all...

WA should definitely keep their borders closed though. Honestly surprised Berejiklian even pushed to close NSW's border with Vic.

dan60

Diamond Member
We'll see what happens there.... surprised Palmer isn't pushing for Vic to open again! Closing borders to only some states is actually unconstitutional after all...

WA should definitely keep their borders closed though. Honestly surprised Berejiklian even pushed to close NSW's border with Vic.
i heard some car driver on the news, who got turned away from a closed border, claimed it was unconstitutional.
which part of the constitution is it, freedom of movement.
it is trumped by a state of emergency laws (article 12.3?)

Miss Monique

Adelaide's original Plus Size Delight
Legend Member
57 year old Rural landholders should be allowed free access to and from SA in August and Dec otherwise I'm happy with s hard border
Don't risk it with others though

We will travel soon enough and another set of bad numbers will speed it up even more
Absolutely agree. A lady should be able to enjoy those dashing ties

cap_nemo

Bronze Member
i heard some car driver on the news, who got turned away from a closed border, claimed it was unconstitutional.
which part of the constitution is it, freedom of movement.
it is trumped by a state of emergency laws (article 12.3?)

Section 117 would be applicable here. It reads:
Section 117 of the Constitution of Australia said:
A subject of the Queen, resident in any State, shall not be subject in any other State to any disability or discrimination which would not be equally applicable to him if he were a subject of the Queen resident in such other state

an old report from the Australian Law Reform Commission basically says it provides protection against discrimination on the basis of state of residence, may also protect freedom of movement within Australia, however it's not absolute. And I believe it doesn't affect state laws in a time of crisis.

But that would be the closest thing that prevents movement between some states.

sabredog

Steppin' Out
Legend Member
I am more than happy to let Mr McGowan make that call as he has been pretty well on the money so far. I also notice that the Federal Government has suddenly gone quiet on this issue; maybe too busy wiping egg off their faces after the events in Melbourne?
Of course the Federal government governs Victoria now doesn't it?

The blame for the current outbreak lies firmly at the feet of Daniel Andrews government.

Cannot really complain about the current border status of WA but feel for the businesses struggling with that closure. Would like to see some travel bubbles to perhaps NT or SA now that the Victorians did the right thing and finally hard closed their border.

cap_nemo

Bronze Member
I am more than happy to let Mr McGowan make that call as he has been pretty well on the money so far. I also notice that the Federal Government has suddenly gone quiet on this issue; maybe too busy wiping egg off their faces after the events in Melbourne?

Same here. McGowan is doing a fantastic job, especially for a rocko boy! Considering within the state we're pretty much completely open, couldn't ask for much more at this time.

Numpty

Illegitimi non carborundum
Legend Member
Same here. McGowan is doing a fantastic job, especially for a rocko boy! Considering within the state we're pretty much completely open, couldn't ask for much more at this time.
Sitting in the pub as write this on a cool winter night.
Work is super busy for me and so is the ( Broken Hill Hotel) pub.
Sometimes it feels like it’s come & gone here🤷🏻‍♂️.
I think we’re gonna stay a bubble on the map for a while yet.
Does the forum member discount still apply at Langtrees?
Might be time for visit🤔

Last edited:

MikeB

Legend Member
May be we should just round up the naysayers who are convinced its a beat up and invite them join the like minded in cluster central for a a couple of weeks. Perhaps in one of the aged care facilities, they might like to try their hand at bingo or take some Devonshire tea....

No PPE, no social distancing, no paramedics support, no ICU - let them all party and let nature take its course !!!! (all in the name of scientifically proving they're right that its all just a media beat-up it just a bit of a cold).

Society can't lose.

If they're right we have the proof to trust them and their wisdom, rather than the virologist and epidemiologists' advice we're currently relying on.

If they're wrong, perhaps if nature has its way, they will no longer have a voice or the presence to be able to spruik...

Status
Not open for further replies.