How to stop smoking !!

C

couple

Both of us gave up about two years ago now,
We save about $600 a month..we were heavy smokers.

C

couple

The reality is that just by stopping smoking we can have a holiday in Bali every three months.

Bluegrass9

Diamond Member
Smoking is not easy to give up. I never started so missed out trying to stop. Just think if you smoke then tomorrow you may awake from your sleep finding two tubes rammed down your throat. Nurses have the advantage of seeing this event in real life.

I knew a lady once who smoked after intercourse- and I did not complain.

C

chevvy69

i gave up smoking. just woke up one morning and thought thats it threw smokes in bin and that was it .ps gave up coffee at same time

M

Mary Anne PA

i gave up smoking. just woke up one morning and thought thats it threw smokes in bin and that was it .ps gave up coffee at same time

Damn! You must have been one moody bugger - no smoking OR coffee! :p

Im addicted to caffeine, need it daily or I get headaches. Without it I cant stay awake at work, so I choose the (mild) drug.

R

Reggie

I smoked most of my life but I got a job that required a great deal of driving, I was smoking myself to death (about 40 a day). I did not WANT to give up but I knew I HAD to.

I had Hypnosis on May 5 1996 (10.30 am after having my last fag at 10.15) and never smoked (cigarettes) again. 2 years later I had a massive personal tragedy but managed to stay off them. Even my family was surprised I never went back to them.

I'm not sure I could recommend Hypnosis as it was quite expensive (about $300 back then) and there are some dodgy guys around but it certainly worked for me. I never missed them and people smoking around me didn't stress me either.

Bluegrass9

Diamond Member
COFFEE!!! I need my hit. I am sure they will find coffee keeps you young and improves on your sex life. Until then I will keep on drinking it. I have tried to give up but I believe only a lead bullet will work for me.
:walk:

R

rwaeaw

i just light up one :D but i think its time to stop it after 10 years of smoking and the last 3-4 years heavy smoking -its time ...but its so hard ...i'll give a try again

happytimes

what you see is wat you get and alot more
Diamond Member
That is one thing i have not been able to give up. Given up plenty of other vices but smoking is the one i find so hard.
Think i lasted around two weeks but sure wish i could give it the flick.

My brother smoked for ages then one day said that's it and never has smoked since. I wish i had that will power with cigarettes.

G

GreglookingforFun

Now you guys have got me thinking about the whacky backy. You see how I just put the blame back on to you then... maybe I need a quck puff to put me to sleep. II just had a thought, Imagine if the drug dealers who sold pot had to put warnings on the baggies like we do with cigarettes. I wonder what the warnings would say. "Warning, smoking this grass may lead to random fits of laughter, hillarious stories and the occasional midnight munchie" Of course ther would be a photo of some guy witha massive grin on his face... not likely any time soon I'm guessing.

S

ShyInPerth

I have a couple of close friends who had success with Hypnosis, not sure what it cost, but if you offset it against the savings(not just $$$'s) it is an easy decision.

E

ethnhwkk

Have been down tha road ..smoked non stop for 12years .10-20 a day...then gave up ...cold turkey ..
no other way ...all the talk of ..i am cutting down ...i am down from a pack to 4-5 is crap ...not going to get you to 0 ..never....
I think as long as you can taste it every day ..it will stay with you every day.

Quit it cold turkey...
but dont try and win the war ...instead win battle one day at a time ...
i just did not put pressure on my self thinking ..am i really not going to get a smoke ever again ...
no i just kept focussing on that day ...telling my self that its a bondage and I AM DETERMINED TO BREAK FREE ...
here i am 6 years now ...not gone down that road ...
now I like to believe its over ...have been with friends who smoke ...several several times ....getting drunk and all ...never felt the need to lite up again ..
took to running ...and have been running 30-40Kms a week for few years now ..
very happy to have broken free ..
good luck to you with your attempt to get out of it ...

N

norym

Interesting thread. I've smoked for 40 years and yes it has caused me some health Problems, but I really didn't give a shit, because, (I thought), I really enjoyed smoking, especially when I was drinking. Anyway, I found a prescription ... CHANTIX ... that MADE me Quit. I took the medication, didn't follow the instructions, kept smokiong, Yada Yada Yada. Bottom line, if you follow their instructions, you can totally quit within 2-3 months, or less. Took me about 6 months, 'cause I tried to buck the rules, but I haven't, nor do I crave, a cig for over 4 months.
Works for me.
Food, definitely tastes SO much better.

golfball

Silver Member
After smoking for 30 years, I found I ran out of breath easily, then one morning, waking with a hangover, then having a smoke (made me feel worse) I decided to give them away, 3/4 of an hour later I was having another smoke, the cold turkey wasn't working.
Then reading the Sunday paper, there was an advertisement about Hypnosis to give up, after the hypnosis, I found there was still a craving, so I got an old tabacco tin and put some old ciggy butts and ash in, when I felt craving, I had a smell, then had a fishermans friend extra peppermint, after about 3 months the cravings were gone
That was five years ago, I've found since then, the only way to give them up, is to want to give up

G

gr8daty

I tend to agree with ethnhwkk!!

I gave up 15 years ago and I am so glad I did. The cost, the stink, the social stigma, the health implications - the list goes on and on. Firstly you must be determined and genuinley committed to giving up. Do ypu really want to stop?! Then just take it one day at a time. Try patches to support your effort. Play mind games - once you have gotten through the first day without a cig then say to yourself - 'if I can go one day without a cig then I can go another; if I can go 1 week without a cig I can go another.
Stay away from other smokers as they won't be too supportive and you'll be 'borrowing' one before you know where you are.
Some get away without any medical problems but most don't. It is ageing (just look at the face of a smoker), even if you don't know it you do smell, you run the risk of throat, tongue and/or lung cancer (do you really want to walk around with half a tongue, a hole in your throat?), emphysema (can't breathe and relying on carrying around an oxygen bottle) and obviously dieing early.
Please accept this because I care, not because I am houlier than thou or love to lecture smokers - it's just that my mother died an awful death and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Good luck keep us posted - it is hard, it is very hard - but so worth it!!!

T

The_Duke

I've tried going cold turkey so many times, I guess deep down I don't really want to stop - I like having a smoke!

S

Squiby1

hey all,

i quit smoking about 5 months ago, i did so as Rhett stated earlier pure and utter cold turkey!!
as a smoker for 8yrs+, the talk of others who had tried and failed and it being the first time i had tried to quit, i was expecting to fail within a few days but that didn't happen..
to be honest after the first 48hrs the crave was fading away and now i really don't see what the whole big deal is!!
maybe i'm unique and mentally stubbern but i don't think so, if u set ur mind to it i believe any1 can do it!!
the benefits, well i'm into my sports and within a few weeks noticed massive improvements in my match fitness and stamina, not to mention between the sheets!!

free_eagle

Silver Member
I stopped smoking 12 months ago. I would have loved to done so sooner but my partner smoking mad it hard to quit. So when she was ready we got tablets called Champix. They worked great.. I went from 15/day to 3/day within 4 days. On day 14 being on Champix we quit totally. It was the best thing we could have done.

T

TheGuy

I have been a smoker for 13 years. In that time i have given up once which was for 5 months i uded patches and they worked well and i also wanted to quit. I heard of Champix works well http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcmed.nsf/pages/pfcchamt/$File/pfcchamt.pdf

I am back to smoking full time but i am planing to give up again. Only problem i have is i still like smoking. Stress is a poor excuse for smoking, i know this because i have used it all too offten

Anyways good luck with it

J

jebenst

Only smoked for about 3 months, so the addiction wasn't bad, was able to quit cold turkey though

Rhett and Scarlett

Virginity can be cured!!
Foundation Member
I ( Rhett that is ) have finally given up!!
And there is only one way....... COLD TURKEY

Over many years I have tried any and every quit aid you can get and all they did was stop me smoking whilst taking them, I would finish the course and then light up lol

Hope this helps

Regards Rhett

:violent5:

Its been 2 years now and I dont want a cigarette. Never made it this far before using quit smoking aids.

COLD TURKEY!!!! The only way

C

Curious1

12 months ago i quit smoking. Had smoked for 15 years. I used Champix and it worked very well....alot better than the other failed techniques i tried.
The week i quit i changed the diet and joined a Gym. Got a trainer to set me up a programme/routine. At that point i could run on the treadmill approximatly 500m at 10kph before dam near dieing. Now i can do 5km at between 13-15kph and not run out of breath. This is just 1 example of the things that has changed and improved since giving up.
The main reasons i quit were i was having heart problem. Doctor said id be lucky to live to 40. I enjoyed smoking, but much prefer the life i have now. If someone lights a cigarrette near me, i just LOVE the smell of it hahaha

Everyone reckons that when you quit smoking you save all this money. I didnt see any saved...it seem to be taken up with gym and better foods etc lol

B

brockk

hi there all folks i to gave up smoking buy doing the hard way COLD TURKEY and keeping busy when felt like one its hard but hey you can do it

T

tstar

try to replace the habit of smoking with other more positive habits in its place

P

Pleasure Me

One thing that REALLY helped me to quit was a book by Allan Carr, called "The Easy Way". Throughout the book he helps you to undo the brainwashing, to think of yourself as a non smoker and to break free from the hold it has on you.

I highly recommend it!

V

vio_punko1

i got hypnotized, didn't work, tried cold turkey after which sucked