• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.
T

Tania Admin

Well the weather is looking a little cooler for the week coming. We nearly beat the Darwin Airport record temperature the other day for this time of year and it's been a little more humid than is the norm for June (secretly I'm loving the humidity).

Screenshot_20200616-174132_Chrome.jpg

T

Tania Admin

I'm not the original poster. This post was copied from a weather page I'm a member of. I did ask permission to share this.

So we are a week into July....the depths of winter and the 'Dry'. Well we all know ( at least Northern and Western Top End ) what to expect re rainfall and temperatures,,,,er.... don't we ?
Even dry July can throw up an anomaly or 3 if you go back and have a look at the historical records for the Airport and Post Office sites.
The 'average' mean rain for July is 1.1mm, but the 5th and 10th percentile is 0.0mm as is the median. So yes, any precipitation in July is out of the ordinary. Of course it does happen infrequently.
22 July's since 1941 have recorded measurable rain ( 0.2mm or more ) at the Airport.
17 July's in 86 years at the Post Office site ( some missing data during ww2 )
The Airport hasn't recorded July rain since 2010 ( 0.2mm ) and prior to that 2003 ( also 0.2mm )
I can recall an older bloke telling me of a July fall when the cricket match he was playing in was washed out at Gardens Oval ( that was a 10mm fall at the Botanical Gardens in 1978 ).
The big July fall that many of us will remember was in 2001, a heavy thunderstorm of all things ( im ) possible. I was working in a mate's yard at the 11 mile. Flooded the yard with 15mm in about an hour ! In July ! Thunder and lightning ! In July !
That day is up there in my Darwin weather memories just for the novelty factor of a July thunderstorm !
Airport scored 26.6mm over 2 days, Gardens 31.8mm. Parap 33.4mm, Coconut grove 24.7mm, Leanyer 20.8mm, RAAF 11 mile 21.9mm, Hospital Tiwi 18.8mm, Karama 24.8mm, Channel Is. 11.4mm, CSIRO Berrimah 18.8mm, Humpty Doo 12.6mm, Girraween 10.8mm, Marlow Lagoon 22.0mm
So that was nice consistent rain over 2 days for just about all of the City and 'Burbs.
And how good must have been the first 3 days of July 1900 when 65mm fell, including a 43.4mm fall on the 2nd ? I reckon that might even have fooled the green tree frogs !
I wonder if was a North West cloud band, or gulflines from the East, or just some nice convection over the 3 days ?

T

Tania Admin

These supposedly perfect day's are getting sooooo boring!

Bring on some storms and rain please!

Screenshot_20200716-071428_WTForecast.jpg

0ld dog

Bronze Member
A tad?
Driving early yesterday morning the car showed 9 Deg outside. It was toastie with the heater turned up flat out.

T

Tania Admin

Honestly, I'm actually loving it! I revel in the humidity. So good for the body and skin. Bring on the Wet Season ⛈❤
Screenshot_20200819-100544_WTForecast.jpg

T

Tania Admin

Omg! I can see it. I can smell it. But not a drop where I live aaaargh!

On the plus side I've been revelling in the awesome humidity the last week! I ❤ it!
Screenshot_20200918-064833_Chrome.jpg

T

Tania Admin

From last nights awesome storm!

First thunderstorm capture of the season, hopefully a decent wet with a La Nina expected.

*I did get permission from the photographer to share this photo.

FB_IMG_1600580163239.jpg

0ld dog

Bronze Member
What a brilliant photo
Love the storms. Sometimes I wish I lived in a high rise in town so I could watch them roll in but having space around you has other advantages.
So far for the month
Wettest 49.8
Hottest 37 degC

T

Tania Admin

How awesome has it been with getting some rain every day!! Everything is already greening up. The smell from the fires is all gone. Absolutely loving it ❤ To top it off it looks like the universe is smiling on me as it's not forecast to rain, over the next few days, where we are going :)

T

Tania Admin

An update from The Bureau of Meteorology -

Darwin has had the highest daily October rainfall since 1941* – with 113mm recorded at Darwin airport and 177mm at Marrara.

*A previous sendout incorrectly stated the dates 1969 and 51 years ago. The correct figure is rainfall was the highest daily October rainfall since 1941, 79 years ago.

We're off to a flying start to this wet season with 17 times more rain in Darwin than the average for this time of year (152.2mm compared to 8.8mm).

This is not monsoonal rain

The rain this week in the Top End came from multiple lines of storms. This increased rainfall is consistent with La Niňa conditions, which typically increase early wet season rains in northern Australia, bringing more moisture into the atmosphere and warming sea waters around the western Top End.

In the tropics we often see heavy rainfall in some areas, while others might miss out or get far less. This is because the hot conditions cause isolated clouds to rise rapidly, creating towers of clouds that then develop into showers or thunderstorms. These are known as convective clouds.

Outside of the tropics stratiform (layer) clouds are more common, which lead to unform and widespread rain.

Rainfall totals to 9am today:

177mm at Marrara
136.8 at Royal Darwin Hospital
113mm at Darwin airport
98.6mm at Leanyer
24.4mm at Howard Springs

Rainfall totals to 9am yesterday

171mm Channel Point
104mm Upper Adelaide River
69mm Fish River

Darwin and surrounding areas forecast

Showers and storms will continue today but there will be significantly less rain. From tomorrow there will be less storms and slightly less sticky conditions. Expect a mostly sunny weekend.

It's highly unlikely we'll sustain 17 times more rainfall than average throughout the wet season, but La Niňa conditions mean we can expect higher than average rains for the next few months.

For context, the average total rain for Darwin during the wet season is 1676.1mm and the highest wet season rainfall recorded was 2918.4mm, about 1.7 times higher than average, during the last significant La Niňa event in 2010-11.

T

Tania Admin

Absolutely beautiful Darwin day today. Nice and warm 33. Was the perfect day to go look at blocks to build our house on. After looking at 11 different blocks we have found a 5 acre block we love in Humpty Doo. 🤞everything goes to plan 🌴🌺😎