Breaking News STI Tests will not be covered by Medicare after the 1st of July

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I have just been told federal cuts have taken free STI tests out of FREE Medicare.
Firstly ladies get your test done before the 1st of July.
I don't know if this will effect the FREE Clinics I ask all members to help find out and post on this thread.

sparky

Legend Member
All we need is for Malcom Turnbull or his daughters to get a dose and watch it become free again over night

Dallas

Legend Member
The Liberal partly doesn't have liberal values but conservative ones so this comes as no surprise. What should be more concerning is that if they are doing this before the election, what will they change if they get back in?

Last edited:

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy;- Lets tax, Smokers-Drinkers and International Corporation, let not forget we better tax
"STI tests out of FREE Medicare."
Good bye-Liberal Party and say hello to the new Labor Government.......................

Happy2

Legend Member
Labor wont change it though
Cant be seen to be helping fund an immoral lifestyle

Dallas

Legend Member
I wonder which party brought in the free testing in the first place? Because that's the party who can bring it back.

Happy2

Legend Member
I think the majority of people don't get tested Stupid ? May e but if it's only going to be a minority number i.e. Bugger all votes the opposition won't care
It is not headline news No interest
Retirement age going to 70 People bitched neither side cares

Not until men especially Start foregoing tests and the disease rate doubles or worse will the headlines get to the front pages
Then pollies may take heed

Dallas

Legend Member
Yes that's true, but one of the parties must of thought it was a vote winner when they brought it in to begin with. If it was the libs then there's no hope but if it was labour then they may be unhappy at having one of their policies reversed and may get some point scoring if they promise to bring it back.

Happy2

Legend Member
Yes that's true, but one of the parties must of thought it was a vote winner when they brought it in to begin with. If it was the libs then there's no hope but if it was labour then they may be unhappy at having one of their policies reversed and may get some point scoring if they promise to bring it back.

It would only have been a budgetary money saving thing Nowt to do with votes

Dallas

Legend Member
Hmm well if it was a budgetary saving money idea to bring it in, then the Libs are costing money taking it away so there's even more reason for labour to reintroduce it. I'm sure the sex party will push the issue with them. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

MikeB

Legend Member
The WA Heath Act requires free treatment under section 311 -see below .

Don't know if this covers tests by a government clinic?

311. State employed medical practitioners to treat venereal disease free of charge

[(1) deleted]

(2) Every medical practitioner in receipt of any salary from the State who does not examine and treat free of charge to such person any person suffering from venereal disease who shall apply to him for examination and treatment commits an offence.
And the Executive Director, Public Health shall pay a reasonable remuneration for such examination and treatment, and shall be liable to be sued for such remuneration in any court of competent
jurisdiction.
Any medical practitioner who neglects or refuses to examine or treat any person, as provided by this subsection, shall be liable to apenalty not exceeding $10.​

Happy2

Legend Member
The WA Heath Act requires free treatment under section 311 -see below .

Don't know if this covers tests by a government clinic?

311. State employed medical practitioners to treat venereal disease free of charge

[(1) deleted]

(2) Every medical practitioner in receipt of any salary from the State who does not examine and treat free of charge to such person any person suffering from venereal disease who shall apply to him for examination and treatment commits an offence.
And the Executive Director, Public Health shall pay a reasonable remuneration for such examination and treatment, and shall be liable to be sued for such remuneration in any court of competent
jurisdiction.
Any medical practitioner who neglects or refuses to examine or treat any person, as provided by this subsection, shall be liable to apenalty not exceeding $10.​
Silly isn't it ? Treatment is free but detection is $98.15
$98 .15. is what medicare paid for my last test

Phoebe

Some Village lost an Idiot!
Legend Member
A senior business head at a midweek meeting talking on Australia's economy at the moment...

"When a patient ends up in ICU (intensive care unit) there is a hope that the patient will leave and be placed in a ward to fully recover slowly and surely and leave the hospital, but Australia being the patient is being read the last rites"

RIP Australia
1788-2016.........

Iges148

Bronze Member
Prevention.... Not the cure. It is amazing that people with a lot of knowledge do not seem to have much wisdom...

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
Especially when HIV infection rates in Australia are rising again and nasties like this have emerged in recent years:
link not working so taken down

Penny-wise, pound-foolish?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Obbie it is a STI Sexually Transmissible Infections, it used to be Sexually Transmitted Diseases, and changed about 25 years ago when they realised that most are infections not unsimilar to the common cold.

Dallas

Legend Member
People can go for years with HIV without showing any symptoms before it progresses to AIDS, I'd like to think they were encouraged to get tested well before that point and weren't put off because they were low income earners and saw it as an unnecessary financial burden.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I do imagine they will still keep the free clinics open but I imagine the cues will be longer.

Dallas

Legend Member
When I went to the free Clinic in the NSW where I live, they asked me straight up if I was gay. I said no, and they said sorry the clinic is only free for gay males, you have to see your GP otherwise. I guess in future a lot more guys will be saying their gay to get the free test.

Happy2

Legend Member

Obbie

Legend Member
I had to pay to be tested and looked after with cancer ! Would of been nice if I could of got some for free !

Miss Monique

Adelaide's original Plus Size Delight
Legend Member
This is just pure insanity and what about the states like Victoria where health checks are law to work in the sex industry.

Perhaps if the politicians reduced there wages instead of health cuts.
It's just appalling and so sad reading the above post so sorry to hear that Obbie

Nomansland

Gold Member
Conservative politicians have always had a blindspot for prevenative measures. They will thump the law and order and high moral ground drum and decry money spent on education or rehabilitation. For example its ok to employ more police but not to continue an $8k education program that kept 3 to 5 kids out of juvie per year. It costs $227k per annum ($624 per day) to detain a young person. I wish i could that rate of return on an investment.
So this fits that mind set perfectly. We need a better class of politician.

Phoebe

Some Village lost an Idiot!
Legend Member
This is just pure insanity and what about the states like Victoria where health checks are law to work in the sex industry.

Perhaps if the politicians reduced there wages instead of health cuts.
It's just appalling and so sad reading the above post so sorry to hear that Obbie

Browyn Bishop will get $225,000 for the rest of her life as a federal government pension, and in the past week 23 Federal Politicians are leaving parliament guess who is paying them a nice pension for life? and that is just federal not state either, if Turnbull gets booted out we will be paying for these PM's

1. Hawke
2. Keating
3 Howard
4 Rudd
5 Gillard
6 Abbott
7 Turnbull...

FOR LIFE!!!!!