Breaking News STI Tests will not be covered by Medicare after the 1st of July

Obbie

Legend Member
This is just pure insanity and what about the states like Victoria where health checks are law to work in the sex industry.

Perhaps if the politicians reduced there wages instead of health cuts.
It's just appalling and so sad reading the above post so sorry to hear that Obbie
Thanks Monique !

MikeB

Legend Member
This is just pure insanity and what about the states like Victoria where health checks are law to work in the sex industry.

Perhaps if the politicians reduced there wages instead of health cuts.
It's just appalling and so sad reading the above post so sorry to hear that Obbie
If its seen as a work related health expense, they probably rationalise that sex workers are either a small business or they work for a small business that has just got a tax cut, so the small business owner should give back to their "employees" as a duty of care, work place health (sic STI) checks, with some of the saved tax!

The old give with one hand take with the other.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
I reckon a change of govt will not do much. A $aving is a $aving in anyone's book...unless lobby groups make enough noises...and pounce on their Rolls Royce's....

AndyRew00

Hercules
Diamond Member
Response I received today in regard STI and Medicare from ' Get the Facts '

Thank you for contacting Get The Facts.

As far as we are aware there are no changes to Medicare and STI testing.
However if cost is a concern for you and you are considering having a test for STIs you should call your healthcare provider and ask about their pathology arrangements prior to having a test.

Some STI clinics and other health providers will provide free testing. Go to the 'Find a Clinic' function on this website to find a service suitable for your location and budget.

If you would like to anonymously and confidentially talk to somebody about this and you are in WA, call the Sexual Health Helpline on 1800 198 205 (Country callers) or 9227 6178(Perth Metropolitan callers)

Troutmouth

Bronze Member
Geez we are slowly but surely heading down the path of wiping out public health!

It's frustrating watching all these backward steps:(

ProfD

Gold Member
When I went to the free Clinic in the NSW where I live, they asked me straight up if I was gay. I said no, and they said sorry the clinic is only free for gay males, you have to see your GP otherwise. I guess in future a lot more guys will be saying their gay to get the free test.
I wonder if that's required to be answered by law? I.e. I wonder if it would be possible to answer "I don't know", "that's private" or "no comment"?