Panic Buying - WHY?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octavia Kiss

Seductive Cheeky Redhead
Gold Member
Why is everyone being 'Silly' and panic buying??

There isn't a reason to be over excessive and buying 20 odd packs of toilet paper, meat, and other crazy stuff!
I mean, I bet half of the people that are doing this already have a shit load of meat, etc in their freezer and bulk shit paper in their cupboards.

There is no need to panic! Just relax and take a chill pill people.

As for Darwin, there has not been any reported cases of a death caused by the CoronaVirus...

The panic has just gone unbelievably overbored, just wash your damn hands, stop being selfish and excessive... It's pretty simple really.

Goodstuff36 Bon truc in french

Goodstuff. Bon truc in french
Legend Member

There isn't a reason to be over excessive and buying 20 odd packs of toilet paper, meat, and other crazy stuff!
I mean, I bet half of the people that are doing this already have a shit load of meat, etc in their freezer and bulk shit paper in their cupboards.

As for Darwin, there has not been any reported cases of a death caused by the CoronaVirus...

The panic has just gone unbelievably overbored, just wash your damn hands, stop being selfish and excessive... It's pretty simple really.
Too bad if the power goes out for over a day.

N

Night Owl Ciao

I think I can explain exactly the reason why Fuck hang on a minute is that the time already? Gotta run the shops shut soon & I need to stock up again ☺

AusGopher

Diamond Member
The panic buying of fresh food (e.g. fruit, vegetables and meat) has gone too far. Where will all the food go if it doesn't get eaten once purchased??
This strain of flu may be stronger than the previous flu strains, but it doesn't need the desperation th a t we have seen over the last few weeks..

T

Tania Admin

In saying that though, the Government has said to have a minimum of 2 weeks food at hand (could possibly be up to 6 weeks as per the health organisation recommendation in the recent updates). The bigger the family the more they need. I have a couple of friends here with very big families, 1 family has 11 people under the same roof and another has 16 under the same roof.

Then there are people who live country/isolated who only shop every 2 or 3 months. Some with big families and/or staff etc on farms etc.

Those buying fresh veges and fruit will freeze a lot (I used to do that when I bulk shopped when I lived in the country in WA). PIckling is also common. Alot of fruit would be stewed and frozen. There is also the dehydration methods for fruit and veg too.

You personally won't have to worry as I gave you a decent amount of food (which has approx a 20 year life) for your cyclone kit unless you need to quarantine for more than 2 weeks.

Sadly the panic buying that some are doing is a reaction to being frightened and in their sub-conscious they can make sure they have a heap of things to survive.

The toilet paper thing is slightly odd, though diarrhea has happened to many who have the virus. I do believe the whole toilet paper thing does stem from a rumour that China were the biggest suppliers in Australia (which is not true), so many started hoarding. Then others have needed to purchase some and there was none, so when the shelves restocked they bulk buyed,,then the domino effect kicked in.

I am glad the elderly and disabled are being given a chance to shop for an hour in the mornings. I also know Meals On Wheels is distributing toilet paper, soap and hand sanitizer.

The hand sanitizer is weird too as soap and water is recommended more so by health professionals.

Too bad if the power goes out for over a day.
Many people do have generators and they are presently selling like hot cakes for that exact reason, to keep fridges and freezers going.

Phoebe

Some Village lost an Idiot!
Legend Member
I only stock pile Gold lube and always make sure I have paid my ISP... :banghead: Other than that, I just need coffee, milk and cereal to get by on... anyway, if you live in a white area, the international food aisle will always be full.. ;) so learn how to eat other cultures food.

I called a few country butchers they are all full of fresh meat like John Wayne Gacys crawl space...

Slugger1

Legend Member

I agree Octavia.

People are feeling helpless because they dont feel in control.

One of the ways to relieve that feeling is to do something they can control like stocking up on food to give themselves the best chance.

Of course this does not make sense because most people will already have more than enough food to last two weeks already in their house.

Last edited:
T

Tania Admin

I only stock pile Gold lube and always make sure I have paid my ISP... :banghead: Other than that, I just need coffee, milk and cereal to get by on... anyway, if you live in a white area, the international food aisle will always be full.. ;) so learn how to eat other cultures food.

I called a few country butchers they are all full of fresh meat like John Wayne Gacys crawl space...
I love the international food isle. Yum. I make a point of trying many different things from there and have mostly been quite pleasantly surprised. I have to admit to 1 or 2 icky's though 😂🤣

sircurious

Legend Member
Here in Perth, the panic buying started at the Coles in Claremont and like good humans we are, we all followed like obedient sheep. It doesn't help when you have the WA AMA President on Flashpoint last Monday encouraging panic buying. Being a medical professional based in the leafy western suburbs he can afford to hoard goods. Unfortunately many can't and they need the goods more than him and people like him.

T

Tania Admin

Here in Perth, the panic buying started at the Coles in Claremont and like good humans we are, we all followed like obedient sheep. It doesn't help when you have the WA AMA President on Flashpoint last Monday encouraging panic buying. Being a medical professional based in the leafy western suburbs he can afford to hoard goods. Unfortunately many can't and they need the goods more than him and people like him.
With the cash stimulus, the hope is it will be spent on having a food supply for those who can't normally afford it.

Phoebe

Legend Member

I was there today.. place was empty other than coles and the other super market... if I was some of them I would be more worried about my botoxed lips suffering if we all get house arrested. Claremont is like the Mini Double Bay of Perth... But the former has a serial killer to keep it attractive!

Phoebe

Legend Member
#Australians are crazier than I originally thought...

I hate to bust your bubble if you travel loads in Europe as in The EU (Now) No one cares about Australia... nor Australians... if Down Under sank in the ocean no one would really miss it... People actually care more about Kiwis and NZ.

A

Annoyance

It's cause everyone started to panic buy up at the start and, now there is hardly anything on the shelfs in the supermarkets. So ppl who usually get their weekly shopping can't anymore, so they are struggling to find the bare necessaries. So they join in like the rest of the panic shoppers, thinking the same that they might not get a chance to buy it again in the next few weeks. Even meat is getting bought up that im surprised that a shop can have no meat in it's cold section plus I've seen one couple buy half a trolley of meat pies instead.

I just feel sad for the poor ppl out there that have 1-2 toilet rolls left in their house and are running around to shop after shop trying to buy some before they have none left.

Phoebe

Legend Member
It's cause everyone started to panic buy up at the start and, now there is hardly anything on the shelfs in the supermarkets. So ppl who usually get their weekly shopping can't anymore, so they are struggling to find the bare necessaries. So they join in like the rest of the panic shoppers, thinking the same that they might not get a chance to buy it again in the next few weeks. Even meat is getting bought up that im surprised that a shop can have no meat in it's cold section plus I've seen one couple buy half a trolley of meat pies instead.

I just feel sad for the poor ppl out there that have 1-2 toilet rolls left in their house and are running around to shop after shop trying to buy some before they have none left.

Atleast the price of fuel is cheap and well wont run dry!!

A

Annoyance

Think it'll get crazy that ppl will start stealing toilet rolls from shopping centres or public restrooms in restaurants & servos. If that happens you might have to bring your own TP in future public toilet visits.

Treecat

Gold Member
Aldi has been flat out with trying to keep up with the demand. Their DC in Jandakot is running out of stock. As soon as the stock gets there, it is going straight out to the stores.
The company I work for has been running 2 bdoubles a day to the Aldi stores in Bunbury, Australind and Busselton. Plus we have been doing local deliveries as they can't keep up.

sircurious

Legend Member
Premier of WA has just announced that Police will now be sent into shopping centres to stop hoarders and the associated behaviour that goes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.