Sunday Trading , Yes or No

• Yes let me shop til I drop on Sundays

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • No , I love the Dark ages anyway,Keep em shut

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters

nhungNme

Bronze Member
Was great to duck down to the supermarket back in CHCH an grab groceries hardly anyone around kids tucked up in bed an peace an quiet at 2 or 3 in the morn, oh well back to me cave.
If you have a shop in Westfield shopping centers in NZ an you don't open then can (and will) prosecute you for not opening on holiday/stat days

B

Bratboy

Have you been to a shopping centre on a Sunday when it is open, it is packed and while this may not be sustained at such a high level if we were to allow Sunday trading on a permanent basis, it would be high enough to support shops opening.

I think the choice for consumers to shop if they want to is the biggest issue here. As said before, the eastern states have Sunday trading and there is still plenty of small business, so I don't think we will have a problem. If anything it will help business especially in such a tough economic environment as we are facing at the moment.

Perhaps it's packed because this usually happens in the lead up to Christmas?

I'm not sure how small businesses are helped if their overheads are increased.

It's weird how the shopping hours and DLS are often mentioned in relation to the economic situation. Our boom was during a period when we had none of these things and having open shops in Perth wouldn't have stopped idiot banks in the USA lending to people who couldn't repay their mortgages which sparked the credit crisis.

L

Largess_love

I often wonder what the problem here is inregard to sunday trading. I has been implemented in eastern states fro quite some time. If it didnt work shops would not open!! Businesses would not trade if it was not profitable!

How many of the people who winge about 7 days trading have lived where it does exist??
Obviously not many!!
If Perth were a sleepy littel rural community I could understand not wantiung 7 day trading BUT Perth is a major Australian capital city!! doesnt it make sense to be up to date with everywhere else in the country rather than lagging behind!

I guess 'WA' really does stand for WAIT AWHILE

C

couple

Are you people serious?...Like, the shops aren't open on Sunday.
This is the dark ages.

C

couple

We went shopping yesterday to buy a gift for a birthday this saturday.
It was nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I wouldn't do it every Sunday but once in a while is good. Relaxed shopping is quite theraputic and if you go to a big shopping complex, like we have in the East, it's also quite good excersise. We must have walked several kms.
You guys should move over to the East. It's the 21st century over here.

S

Spank_Master

Living in Sydney we are just use to everything being open on Sundays and it is always hard to go backwards

Rasmey 1

Foundation Member
It will be great where I live almost as good as being home in Thailand. Pity for you guys out in the suburbs. maybe soon for you 2

mick7

Foundation Member
Sunday trading. no way. as far as i am concerned the country ran quite nicely
in the days when the shops closed at 5.30p weekdays and 12noon. on saturday, just remember with all these proposed extra hours some poor bastard will be expected to work them, and some employees will feel they have to just to keep their job.

anyway if the government is so hell bent on bringing it in after losing a referendum on this, they are treating the people of wa with contempt and i want no part of it .

regards mick7

S

Spank_Master

We have had it for that long in Sydney i don't think we could go without it..

R

rommel64

Couldn't agree more its great way for teens to start in the workforce and get some coin

waxenboy

Foundation Member
Sunday trading would be good for this state
It would bring in shops like costco and aldi to compete
against woolie and coles.
Look at the shoppers at christmas time and bunnings how well they do
and they can keep the prices down. W.A waite awhile state:hello:

M

Mary Anne PA

Sunday trading would be good for this state
It would bring in shops like costco and aldi to compete against woolie and coles.
Look at the shoppers at christmas time and bunnings how well they do and they can keep the prices down. W.A waite awhile state:hello:

This is the main reason Ill miss Melbourne! Aldi is excellent, we seriously halved our shopping bill by going to aldi for the majority of our shopping!

bushseeker

Foundation Member
sorry but there is no intellegent argument against longer shopping hours
--------------
because we already have it
WHAT?
yes of course its called IGA

now the anti extended shopping hours campaighn comes straight from them convincing the Dumb public the poor local bloke (IGA) will be hit with extended hours

heres why joe averadge shouldnt be allowed to vote in referendoms because their too Dumb

IGA is owned and supplied by......................................................................... METCASH!!!!
a foreighn owned giant MULTINATIONAL

and yet joe averadge believed the campaighn and voted to line some foreighn companys pockets with a monopoly and the high prices they charge.

Wake up WA either understand the issue or dont vote

E

Evelynne

I get paid extra 1.5x my rate on a Sunday, so that's always nice. But I get phone calls from work too much, so a day that I KNOW I'll have off is also nice hehe ^_^

keno69

Bronze Member
city does has sunday trading now doesn't it? ..maybe major shopping centers in the suburbs should do the same too..so i'd vote yes.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
So ok... why should it only be up to the supermarkets, what about banks, the post office, government offices etc...
What if you were a tradie?? Is it fair that a supermarket has to open but you can still charge an after hours service for working on the weekend. Why not make it fair for everybody and make the standard working hours the same for everybody??? Why should those that work in retail have to work on weekends and nobody else??