Sunday Trading , Yes or No

• Yes let me shop til I drop on Sundays

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • No , I love the Dark ages anyway,Keep em shut

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters
M

Mary Anne PA

I vote yes, however unfortunately with the economic growth we wouldnt have a large enough workforce to fill extended trading hours. I often went out in Melbourne to grab shopping in the middle of the night.

princesssuzie

Foundation Member
I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to shop and so would like Sunday trading. I do feel sorry for the people who run shops as if Sunday trading were to come in they'd be working 7 days straight which isn't fun for anyone.

Sunday trading has been around in the Eastern States for many years so perhaps we should try it and see how it goes.

Smoggy

Foundation Member
No. Sunday trading would cause serious damage to small business and overall quality of life. Net result would be higher prices as Woolworths and Coles etc would have advantages of economies of scale and increase market share. Many small businesses would close due to owner burn out due to staff shortages. The double time paid to staff on Sunday would also increase prices if the overall weekly spend was spread over seven rather than six days.
Some sporting clubs would suffer due to players having to work.

SubNymphet

Tantalizing Temptress
Gold Member
i think just large shopping centres should be open, i work 6 days a week until late so rarely get to go shopping, and i hate the city which is the only place open on a sunday! and i spend way to much money doing my groceries at IGA which is the only supermarket usually open when i'm not working!

Cunnilingus Lover

Silver Member
What you are paying now at IGA will be smaller than what happens if Sunday trading get's in. If places like IGA are priced out of the market, which has happened in alot of places that brought in Sunday trading, the final result is an increase in what you are paying for your groceries. Again this is what happened in the other places.

B

Badnewsbear

Yawn ... come to Perth , we not only hate sunlight , we hate the shops being open , hey lets bring back the roster system for fuel , dont know what took you so long to get rid of that one but I know some must be itching for its return , I am suprised your airport is open 24/7 , even Heathrow isnt , maybe you should work on that one , keep those pesky tourists away hey ! I know a lot of Perth people want to leave the dark ages but to many are holding you back , hey who remembers when the street lights use to go out at 1.15 am in Perth and Alfreds kitchen was the only place you could buy take away after the local chippy had shut , bring it back hey , God help us ....BNB . :nono:

M

Mary Anne PA

Noone HAS to work 7 days a week. If they don't want that job they can choose another place to work. Extended trading increases the student workforce, as they can work more hours around their classes.
And WA is the only (I think) state which doesn't have extended trading and things are more expensive here than over east.
Plus the eastern states have loads of little delis or milkbars open.
If you are going to have no extended trading, that should be across all industries; in hospitality Sunday is the busiest day, with people wanting to eat out.

M

Mary Anne PA

Love to shop too....but

Smoggy you are spot on, we will all pay for it in the long run, giving the big boys the monopoly will and has been suicide for the consumer, the employee or any competitive small business.
A free ticket to charge what they like without remorse.

S

sexiness

I think we're way behind on this one, there are plenty of workers who work during the times the shops are shut and don't get to shop for simple things like groceries without ducking out in their breaks to do it. There are many occupations in which people work Sunday so the impact on people's time, sporting clubs etc wouldn't be as dramatic as has been mentioned

I don't see the issue other than lets move forward not backwards ::)

B

Badnewsbear

As I said , some want to move forward , thanks sexiness/sexy celeste , but others seem hell bent on keeping Perth in the Doldrums , I know change or progress dont suit everyone , but I for one enjoy the 18 hour flight to London , I was getting sick of that six month voyage on the sailing ships and all that scurvy , We all tossed the pigeon in favour of the phone , who rides a horse in favour of a Falcon ( or Holden ) and how many have tossed the road map in favour of the navman , Progress seems fine and then Bang lets not go there . Soon Perth will be left behind and even in Deepest Darkest Africa in some little undiscovered tribal village there will be a sudden noise at dawn , Yes its Sunday , the shops will soon be open ,I cant bear this , gotta go .

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TemptMe

I live in a country town that has Sunday trading although the hours of some shops are shortened closing at 3pm. There are some that don't open. Woolworth and Coles are open til 9pm...... Gives the school kids an opportunity to take up work should they so wish..

S

stormline

i really dont understand this one,as i live near freo and coles and the new woollies are open every sunday along with 90%of the other shops,so it makes no difference to me..one thing is that they only open from 12oclock till 6pm i think,not real sure on the closing time but i think thats right...so why can they have it in freo and rockingham but not everywhere.also they get packed so it certainly tells you alot of people would like to do their shopping on sundays.funnu thing i find i live near mellville and the shops around there like the new woolies that took over the old willagee pub cant open,not even a 10min drive from freo.that one i dont understand...freo and rockingham must have some special laws,got me f.....

M

Mary Anne PA

i really dont understand this one,as i live near freo and coles and the new woollies are open every sunday along with 90%of the other shops,so it makes no difference to me..one thing is that they only open from 12oclock till 6pm i think,not real sure on the closing time but i think thats right...so why can they have it in freo and rockingham but not everywhere.also they get packed so it certainly tells you alot of people would like to do their shopping on sundays.funnu thing i find i live near mellville and the shops around there like the new woolies that took over the old willagee pub cant open,not even a 10min drive from freo.that one i dont understand...freo and rockingham must have some special laws,got me f.....

Ahh uni WAS useful. Freo, Perth city and Rockingham are considers 'tourist precincts' and are allowed to trade, since people go there on the weekends. There is a loophole in WA law which allows many areas to be classified as a tourist area, but actually getting it pushed through is very difficult, as it gets blocked by the local council (unless the councilors happen to be business owners in these areas who would benefit from this)

S

Spunkymunky

Doesn't make any difference to me.....the trading hours out here are 9 til 5 weekdays and 9 til 11 saturday mornings. That wont change.

After that the nearest shop is 70km away and i doubt they would open on sundays either!

I miss Karrathat where woolies was open 6am to 9pm nearly every day of the year.

fifoboy

Gold Member
The Karratha KFC just opened, it's bedlam, on the first day there were 35 cars lined up at the drive through when I went past.

S

Spunkymunky

Haha they were so excited about that KFC when i was up there!!

SubNymphet

Tantalizing Temptress
Gold Member
Hey Spunky! didnt realise youre from karratha! i lived there for 7 years, until 1999! all of primary school... great place to be, i remember they were talkin about the KFC for YEARS before i even left. its been like, 15 years in the making! lol.
I was there when all there was was river rooster and chicken treat. Then came maccas... bout time KFC made it up there.
I love whenever im up there visiting family/friends being able to go to the shops whenever i needed pretty much. must say that is one thing i remember about it! haha

S

Spunkymunky

I would quite like a 4 day working week....it's interesting that at the same time as we have the whole "yay for extended trading hours" argument we also have most shops with signs up saying they turn their lights down to save power. Hmmmm.

I was in Karratha for 4mths at the start of the year for work but have since moved closer to the city :) now i am only 160km away instead of 1600km!!

chris

sees the best in everyone
Foundation Member
i voted no because it cost the small shops in the big malls like carousel more to open up just for people to "hang" out in aircondition areas and not buy anything remember its DOUBLE time on sundays for workers

L

*L&L*

YES!!!!!!! Get with the times people WA is sooooooo far behind the rest of the world! hehehehehehe

D

Damprye

i love shopping and its always sad when you think im bored hey lets go shopping ... oops shops are closed that happened to me again just last weekend

M

Mary Anne PA

I just worked a 12 hour day (6-6) and had to go shopping with all the mums and screaming kids, cos we have no food in the house. *sigh* Hurry up Friday 5th, deadline finally over so I can be a normal person and only work Mon-Fri and maybe even finish 10 hours after I start work.
I miss stripping, 4 hour shift Id make a weeks wages :-(

K

kevin

Maybe not Sunday trading.... how about shops being open later on week days?

B

Britbob

It'd be a yes from me. Everyone says no to Sunday trading, but see how busy the malls are when they do open.
Move with the times I say

M

MuchEnlightenment

I like Sunday trading, if anything I think that Mondays are a waste of time. I can't believe that there are still places in this country that don't have it..

Petronius

Silver Member
It seems that a lot of people who are against extended trading hours actually seem to be against compulsory late nights and Sundays for every shop in every shopping centre. I don't think that's going to happen - it hasn't in New Zealand and the eastern states, as far as I know. For me, it boils down to freedom of choice. If you own a shop, you should be allowed to open whenever you like regardless of how big it is or how many people you employ.

Incidentally, most of the money spent at IGA actually ends up going to Metcash, which is a South African based multinational corporation. Coles/Wesfarmers, on the other hand, is owned mostly by Australian pension funds and other institutional investors. If you have superannuation, you've almost certainly got Coles shares.

Smoggy

Foundation Member
Public Reject Sunday Trading

The public have voted with their feet. Most people just dont want Sunday trading. I thought I would visit a few local shopping centres on Sunday (28th) to gauge the popularity of the extended trading hours. I wasn't surprised by the empty car parks or the empty stores. The traders were unhappy at having to open, the staff were unhappy at having to work and everybody was bored. Nothing to do - very few customers. Even the larger more popular centres were very quiet.
OK I acknowledge that people may be a little shopped out after Christmas. But this Sunday was a real test and it failed miserably. As a society are we so addicted to shopping that we can't have one day off. We are not backward, we have a lifestyle that many envy. We can worship at Church or at the footy, we can go to the beach or for a drive. And yes, we can shop in the City, Fremantle or Rockingham etc if we want. We are not backward, we are leading the way.

Western Australia - a great place to live.

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
Re: Public Reject Sunday Trading

Smoggy : i live in QLD and i don't know yr shopping hours in WA
, if Sunday 28-12-08 was the 1st sunday shopping day then my guess is that Sunday shopping was doomed from the begining by the powers to-be ,

princesssuzie

Foundation Member
Re: Public Reject Sunday Trading

I actually found that during Christmas, Sundays weren't very busy at all in the major shopping complexes but I do find that whenever there's a special event on like Telethon and one shopping centre will open for that occasion then the shops are packed.

Maybe if we opened just now and again on a Sunday rather than every week. Also have to agree with smoggy that I've met very few people that actually enjoy working on a Sunday if they don't have to.