Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
This is my third trip to Kolkata and this trip I am going to start trying some of the roadside restaurants. I thought it may be interesting to do a food thread. I will start taking photos and try to post each day.
They are called street stalls or footpath eating.
Yesterday I had a delicious spicy omelette for breakfast, the cost was 10 rupees which is about 20 cents.I went back this morning and it was less spicy, still nice, but I preferred the medium spicy from yesterday,
A lot of the street stalls have jars of biscuits, yesterday I bought 4 different ones. 6 biscuits was 12 rupees that is about 30 cents. Everyone was delicious, please do not tell Kate as not part of my diet plan, but I needed to try just to tell you. The 5 varieties I tried where shortbread, crispy like out anzac biscuits. Not so much sugar and savory or sweet they tasted better than any biscuit we get in Australia. I will take photos later.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Sweets in Kolkata are awesome. The nicest I have tasted anywhere, they also look really nice. The photo of the store is 1's of years old and a instution in Kolkata. The sweets are not as sugary as ours, and I believe a lot are plant based so very little flour is used. I am hoping to have some cooking lessons in these delights whilst I am still in Kolkata.

IMG_1656[1].JPG IMG_1744[1].JPG IMG_1744[1].JPG food.jpg

Last edited:

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
Sweets in Kolkata are awesome. The nicest I have tasted anywhere, they also look really nice. The photo of the store is 1's of years old and a instution in Kolkata. The sweets are not as sugary as ours, and I believe a lot are plant based so very little flour is used. I am hoping to have some cooking lessons in these delights whilst I am still in Kolkata.

Maryanne you can access this anytime, his recipes and explanations are good:

https://www.youtube.com/user/vahchef

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I just went to my favourite food stall for my daily omelet and they were closed. A local close by noticed and showed me the way to another good food stall for my daily omelet. the people in Kolkata are friendly, courteous & wonderful and my daily 2 egg omelet for for 40 cents was to die for. I have medium spicey and it really helps to start the day with protein.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I felt a bit ripped off with my 10 x 1 egg omelet coffe so decided to go back to my omelet roadside restaurant for lunch.I had delicious chicken curry rice and verges with water and a omelette cost 8 x 1 or 80 rupees $1.60 put money.This is first time done the stall food in India I have a pretty strong digestion system being bought up on a farm I got to eat plenty of dirt as a kid and mum said I loved eating coal from the fireplace up until 4 yrs old probably why I love burnt toast. D820BF04-94CC-4C0A-90BA-293E257895AC.jpeg

Last edited:

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
I must confess to being a bit surprised that they give you a plastic spoon after all that stainless steelware. This Indian inventor has come up with a great alternative to disposable cutlery! He needs good financial backers though. Check it out. They'd make great Christmas presents especially if you've kids.

Penny S

A Rose by any other name 🌹
Staff member
Legend Member
Hey great that you liked things so far, and you might wanna push a little more to try out some exiting things like say have a visit to Victoria Memorial, Prinsep Ghat, Eden Gardens, have some Puchkaa/ Golgappa, if you are sugar free person then try one of those sugar free Kalakand and Aloo posto & aloo sidhoo (one of my favorite)

That's Kolkata for you !
THE CITY OF JOY !

Samantha Witch

Fitser Team
Diamond Member
Things You Should Definitely Eat When You’re In Kolkata

Roshogolla
Place: K.C. Das & Bheem Nag

Capture.PNG
Sondesh
Place: Nakur Nandy

Capture-1.PNG
Chanachur
Place: Ujjala

Capture-2.PNG
Kosha Mangsho (mutton curry)
Capture-4.PNG
Chicken Kabiraji
Place: Mitra Cafe

Capture-6.PNG
Kochuri - Torkari - Jilebi
Place: Maharaja/Maharani

Capture-7.PNG
Telebhaja
Place: Dacres lane

Capture-8.PNG
Kathi Rolls
Place: Nizam

Capture-10.PNG
Mishti Doi
Place: Bheem Nag & Jadav Chandra Das

Capture-12.PNG
Thandai/Kulfi
Place: Ralli's

Capture-14.PNG

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
My bad I didn't know that photo hadn't attached. I only found out yesterday that the guest house has a menu of many meals so having a feast shortly. They look after me so well, I really enjoy staying here and when tracey joins me next week I am sure she will enjoy it also.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I have been eating at the guest house mostly this last week delicious meals...been working long hours so don’t think to take photo until after I be eaten.
When I went to Varnissa I took photo of the largest lemons I’d seen Twitter told me they were a Pomelo .I bought one and my guest house prepared it very sweet lemon and a texture like grapefruit love to see in Australia as very nice as a salad flavor.

Attachments

• 1C3C9E14-3797-4E1B-83B2-CFC435CCC437.jpeg
    1C3C9E14-3797-4E1B-83B2-CFC435CCC437.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 24A686DD-B991-4D1D-BB7E-A2A15D31407E.jpeg
    24A686DD-B991-4D1D-BB7E-A2A15D31407E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 73CF2448-17D0-4326-BA9C-9F6014616E55.jpeg
    73CF2448-17D0-4326-BA9C-9F6014616E55.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 7B6788AB-6098-4833-B845-0B591CC7469B.jpeg
    7B6788AB-6098-4833-B845-0B591CC7469B.jpeg