• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
This is my third trip to Kolkata and this trip I am going to start trying some of the roadside restaurants. I thought it may be interesting to do a food thread. I will start taking photos and try to post each day.
They are called street stalls or footpath eating.
Yesterday I had a delicious spicy omelette for breakfast, the cost was 10 rupees which is about 20 cents.I went back this morning and it was less spicy, still nice, but I preferred the medium spicy from yesterday,
A lot of the street stalls have jars of biscuits, yesterday I bought 4 different ones. 6 biscuits was 12 rupees that is about 30 cents. Everyone was delicious, please do not tell Kate as not part of my diet plan, but I needed to try just to tell you. The 5 varieties I tried where shortbread, crispy like out anzac biscuits. Not so much sugar and savory or sweet they tasted better than any biscuit we get in Australia. I will take photos later.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Sweets in Kolkata are awesome. The nicest I have tasted anywhere, they also look really nice. The photo of the store is 1's of years old and a instution in Kolkata. The sweets are not as sugary as ours, and I believe a lot are plant based so very little flour is used. I am hoping to have some cooking lessons in these delights whilst I am still in Kolkata.

IMG_1656[1].JPG IMG_1744[1].JPG IMG_1744[1].JPG food.jpg

Last edited:

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
Sweets in Kolkata are awesome. The nicest I have tasted anywhere, they also look really nice. The photo of the store is 1's of years old and a instution in Kolkata. The sweets are not as sugary as ours, and I believe a lot are plant based so very little flour is used. I am hoping to have some cooking lessons in these delights whilst I am still in Kolkata.

Maryanne you can access this anytime, his recipes and explanations are good:

https://www.youtube.com/user/vahchef

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I just went to my favourite food stall for my daily omelet and they were closed. A local close by noticed and showed me the way to another good food stall for my daily omelet. the people in Kolkata are friendly, courteous & wonderful and my daily 2 egg omelet for for 40 cents was to die for. I have medium spicey and it really helps to start the day with protein.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I felt a bit ripped off with my 10 x 1 egg omelet coffe so decided to go back to my omelet roadside restaurant for lunch.I had delicious chicken curry rice and verges with water and a omelette cost 8 x 1 or 80 rupees $1.60 put money.This is first time done the stall food in India I have a pretty strong digestion system being bought up on a farm I got to eat plenty of dirt as a kid and mum said I loved eating coal from the fireplace up until 4 yrs old probably why I love burnt toast. D820BF04-94CC-4C0A-90BA-293E257895AC.jpeg

Last edited:

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
I must confess to being a bit surprised that they give you a plastic spoon after all that stainless steelware. This Indian inventor has come up with a great alternative to disposable cutlery! He needs good financial backers though. Check it out. They'd make great Christmas presents especially if you've kids.

Penny S

A Rose by any other name 🌹
Staff member
Legend Member
Hey great that you liked things so far, and you might wanna push a little more to try out some exiting things like say have a visit to Victoria Memorial, Prinsep Ghat, Eden Gardens, have some Puchkaa/ Golgappa, if you are sugar free person then try one of those sugar free Kalakand and Aloo posto & aloo sidhoo (one of my favorite)

That's Kolkata for you !
THE CITY OF JOY !

Samantha Witch

Fitser Team
Diamond Member
Things You Should Definitely Eat When You’re In Kolkata

Roshogolla
Place: K.C. Das & Bheem Nag

Capture.PNG
Sondesh
Place: Nakur Nandy

Capture-1.PNG
Chanachur
Place: Ujjala

Capture-2.PNG
Kosha Mangsho (mutton curry)
Capture-4.PNG
Chicken Kabiraji
Place: Mitra Cafe

Capture-6.PNG
Kochuri - Torkari - Jilebi
Place: Maharaja/Maharani

Capture-7.PNG
Telebhaja
Place: Dacres lane

Capture-8.PNG
Kathi Rolls
Place: Nizam

Capture-10.PNG
Mishti Doi
Place: Bheem Nag & Jadav Chandra Das

Capture-12.PNG
Thandai/Kulfi
Place: Ralli's

Capture-14.PNG

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
My bad I didn't know that photo hadn't attached. I only found out yesterday that the guest house has a menu of many meals so having a feast shortly. They look after me so well, I really enjoy staying here and when tracey joins me next week I am sure she will enjoy it also.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I have been eating at the guest house mostly this last week delicious meals...been working long hours so don’t think to take photo until after I be eaten.
When I went to Varnissa I took photo of the largest lemons I’d seen Twitter told me they were a Pomelo .I bought one and my guest house prepared it very sweet lemon and a texture like grapefruit love to see in Australia as very nice as a salad flavor.

Attachments

• 1C3C9E14-3797-4E1B-83B2-CFC435CCC437.jpeg
    1C3C9E14-3797-4E1B-83B2-CFC435CCC437.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 24A686DD-B991-4D1D-BB7E-A2A15D31407E.jpeg
    24A686DD-B991-4D1D-BB7E-A2A15D31407E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 73CF2448-17D0-4326-BA9C-9F6014616E55.jpeg
    73CF2448-17D0-4326-BA9C-9F6014616E55.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 7B6788AB-6098-4833-B845-0B591CC7469B.jpeg
    7B6788AB-6098-4833-B845-0B591CC7469B.jpeg