Keep Gym Cardio Interesting

Dez

...the floor is lava
Legend Member
544da82df88c212763ccf95520be2ab9.jpg
I've never been a big fan of cardio. I find it incredibly boring and annoying. So I've been brain storming some ways to make my time on the cardio machine less so. Here is what I have come up with;

- Change cardio machines every 10- 15 minutes
- Check my email inbox and other messages( if I'm doing my warm up walk)
- Make mental lists of all the things I would rather be doing
- I read all the posters in the room to test if my eyesight is getting worse or staying the same.
- I play Zombies, Run!
- I watch the trashy TV and make up what the actors are saying in my head

OR
weights.jpg

How do you take your cardio?

Last edited:

User184

Gold Member
H I I T...

VERY gentle for a minute... ALL OUT for 20 second... very gentle for a minute, ALL OUT for 20 seconds, very gentle for a minute ALL OUT for 20 second... very gentle for a minute... pack up and go home.

Try it... it's awesome...

Alyssa Ashmore

Silver Member
What works for me is listening to my favourite fast songs. I listen to one song at a time, go really fast during the song, rest 20 secs and repeat. I do about 5-6 songs and it really helps you get through it easier and it will push you to that extra level. You also are doing interval training which is the fastest way to burn off fat. xx

V

vader

This is similar to User184, it's called Tabata - work 20 secs, rest 10 sec repeat 8 times (4 mins)

You can it for cardio ie treadmill, bike, rower etc but you can do it for any weight bearing movement as well

User184

Gold Member
THAT'S THE ONE! Tabata... I knew it had a name. The personal trainer at my local jetts is always going on about it.

I keep saying to him... I just wanna half-ass this elliptical then go home and eat cheezels.

V

vader

Get an and you can do it anywhere...............hotel room room Tabata Burpees. Great for when you're travelling at work.

V

vader

THAT'S THE ONE! Tabata... I knew it had a name. The personal trainer at my local jetts is always going on about it.

I keep saying to him... I just wanna half-ass this elliptical then go home and eat cheezels.
Which Jetts?

User184

Gold Member
Just used it as artistic license. Been a number of years since I've been a member of a gym.

Dez

...the floor is lava
Legend Member
Thanks for the replies and ideas here. I am going to do my best to give a big of interval training a go. I've always been a bit hesitant about jogging/running on a treadmill, because knowing my clumsy luck I'd be the bugger who goes flying off the end.

Having said that I'm desparate to make cardio more effective and interesting. I'm going to take a break from my usual weight training and focus on cardio for the next few weeks (making exception for Box jumps and push ups).

Nymph

Gold Member
Boxing fitness classes can keep things interesting while getting a great workout mixed with self-defence. Add some Muay Thai, K1, Capoeira or Taekwondo for some deadly combos. Skipping is great cardio, 2-3 minute rounds (30sec -1 minute sprint at end if keen) 30sec - 1 minute rest repeat.

Combat fitness classes will teach you to fight and get a great cardio workout at the same time. Learn how to do flying kicks and knees, back fists, spinning elbows and more.

Also a good instructor on the pads and shields can keep things dynamic and you focused and pumped up. Awesome cardio.

Squats and lunges can get boring, try alternating push kick squats (helps with a kick shield and partner) and step back lunge, forward knee (same leg) in alternating reps.

Too many times at the gym I used to think, "what am I doing here?" But training to potentially fight to defend your life? There is no stronger motivation.

Last edited:
V

vader

I don't want to get on the wrong side of you Miss Nymph:)

I think the biggest key is to mix up your training, don't get stuck doing the same thing over and over. Also cardio doesn't just have to treadmills, bikes etc, you can get a great cardio workout from compound weight routines.

Nymph

Gold Member
I don't want to get on the wrong side of you Miss Nymph:)

I think the biggest key is to mix up your training, don't get stuck doing the same thing over and over. Also cardio doesn't just have to treadmills, bikes etc, you can get a great cardio workout from compound weight routines.
I'm a lover not a fighter :p
Just like to by prepared in high risk industries.

When you say compound weight routines? What do you mean?

V

vader

I'm a lover not a fighter :p
Just like to by prepared in high risk industries.

When you say compound weight routines? What do you mean?

They're also known as complexes, you do a number of different moves with say a barbell (you can do this with any free weight equipment or your body weight)....for example:

10 reps each of cleans, push press, front squat, bent over row, back squats, deadlifts....complete each exercise one after another, rest 2 mins, repeat 5 times.

This will get your lungs busting but also builds muscular endurance.

figjam

Gold Member
upload_2015-11-10_0-54-19.png

Now this guy knows what he is talking about
I love this Doctor.....

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?

A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speed up heart not make live longer; that like say you can extend life of car by driving faster. Want live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does cow eat? Hay and corn. What are these? Vegetables. So, steak nothing more than efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef also good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And pork chop can give 100% recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine. That means they take water out of fruity bit; get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made out of grain.. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: If you have body and you have fat, ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Cannot think of single one, sorry.. My philosophy: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU NOT LISTENING!!! .... Foods fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only do sit-ups if want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: You crazy? HELLO! Cocoa beans! Vegetable!!! Cocoa beans best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming good for figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.
AND.....
For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies:
1. The Japanese eat very little fat
And suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine
4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and eat lots of pasta and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats

CONCLUSION

Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you

Dallas

Legend Member
Boxing fitness classes can keep things interesting while getting a great workout mixed with self-defence. Add some Muay Thai, K1, Capoeira or Taekwondo for some deadly combos. Skipping is great cardio, 2-3 minute rounds (30sec -1 minute sprint at end if keen) 30sec - 1 minute rest repeat.

Combat fitness classes will teach you to fight and get a great cardio workout at the same time. Learn how to do flying kicks and knees, back fists, spinning elbows and more.

Also a good instructor on the pads and shields can keep things dynamic and you focused and pumped up. Awesome cardio.

Squats and lunges can get boring, try alternating push kick squats (helps with a kick shield and partner) and step back lunge, forward knee (same leg) in alternating reps.

Too many times at the gym I used to think, "what am I doing here?" But training to potentially fight to defend your life? There is no stronger motivation.

Thought you might like this story. I was living in Perth in an apartment block a couple of years ago and I had gone out early for a swim and was walking back and there were police out the front dusting for finger prints on the main door and there was a girl about 30 I guess looking shaken up and a big guy being carried out of the building by paramedics with blood all over his face and the police were cheering. I stopped to talk to the girl and asked her what happened and she said that she woke up in her bed to see a guy standing over the top of her so she just punched him as hard as she could and it broke his nose and knocked him out. I said wow, how did you manage to do that kind of damage? And she said she is the Australian 2013 boxing champion. I thought wow that guy sure picked the wrong apartment! So it just goes to show that a girl can do significant damage and defend herself against even the biggest guys if she's trained.

Dallas

Legend Member
Cardio for me is fun and very relaxing, I just run in remote locations for at least an hour, usually 1.5 - 2 at a time and sometimes listen to music while I run. I love swimming but I find that boring for cardio for too long. However the best cardio work out ever has to be a couple of hours of more of sex, where both of you work together and pace yourselves and you have so much fun and lose lots of weight and feel awesome, but finding a like-minded partner that can also see it as a great work out and treat it as such is very difficult.

V

vader

Try this, have sex after the gym. After an all out session in the gym have a hot shower and then take a trip to your lady. The endorphins that are still pumping through your body really charge a session between the sheets! However you're totally buggered afterwards so you should do it on the weekend...........but you walk around with a high all day.

User184

Gold Member
Cardio for me is fun and very relaxing, I just run in remote locations for at least an hour, usually 1.5 - 2 at a time and sometimes listen to music while I run. I love swimming but I find that boring for cardio for too long. However the best cardio work out ever has to be a couple of hours of more of sex, where both of you work together and pace yourselves and you have so much fun and lose lots of weight and feel awesome, but finding a like-minded partner that can also see it as a great work out and treat it as such is very difficult.

Put an ad in the paper Dallas. "Looking for a PT session with a willing lady. A few hours of sex to get the heart rate up and get my fitness together. Energetic ladies only pls."

Dallas

Legend Member
Put an ad in the paper Dallas. "Looking for a PT session with a willing lady. A few hours of sex to get the heart rate up and get my fitness together. Energetic ladies only pls."

Hey great idea!! :). ... Or even "less than energetic ladies who are keen to become energetic will be considered favourably. Also group training sessions held weekly :)