How to check if someone is on Ice or speed

Phoebe

Some Village lost an Idiot!
Legend Member
We aren't talking about other addictions or mental illness on this thread though. This thread is targeted at Ice.

Maybe the reasons why people turn to Ice as some of those I mentioned above Tania.... Not every Ice addict is a street kid, street hooker, etc etc etc. when heroin was the ice of the day, The State Govt of WA put up a sign along Wellington street depicting what "they" thought your typical user was, then one of the Uni's here did a study and advised heroin usage was across the board from CEO's to the lowest occupations, both genders all ages all religions, colors etc etc, and as soon as that report was made public that sign came down over night...

Ice will do what all drugs did it will fade or just go "away" eg be out of the media's attention when a new drug comes along, then we will be advised its a pandemic with another major fear campaign attached to it, actually Ice may make people violent yes I agree, but the worst drug over all for domestic violence fights, murders etc etc is peddled by governments called Alcohol so they put up a fear campaign against all other drugs why stop people taking it, its because that dont want any competition taking away their lucrative legal revenue streams with alcohol sales... That is all what this is about Governments protecting their own interests.... hating any one else making money without given them a cut........

T

Tania Admin

I'm well aware of the different walks of life who become ice addicts. I myself came from an extremely tough start in life and haven't gone that way, Not Even Once. I understand that some turn towards towards Ice to hide from the past and present. I know some gold spoon children who had perfect upbringings who have been addicts for years. I also was in a relationship with someone who started using while we were together though it took me a bit to figure it out and I was far from naive,,it destroyed him, our relationship, his friendships (except the druggy ones) and other members of his family. I stayed for another 6 years, stuck it out, tried to help he didn't want to help himself and his addiction was destroying me so I broke free of his drug addicted ways. Best thing I ever did. 10 years on and he's still an addict, looks like the balloon men out the front of car yards half the time. In the 6 years I stayed I learnt all the signs, smells, behaviours and nastiness that is Ice from him and all the addicts he associated with.

And back to the topic. There is most definitely a smell about users as distinct as the physical signs.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
I used to drive as a long distance truck driver . some of the comets about Cristal-meth reminded me about things we did So I Googled

base, crystal, ice, crystal meth, meth, shabu, ox blood, whiz, goey​
Methamphetamine is a man-made stimulant drug - a more potent form of the drug amphetamine. It was first synthesised from ephedrine in 1918, and was also used during World War II.
There are different forms of methamphetamine, generally distinguished by their appearance and perceived purity.
The three main forms are:
  • crystalline (ice or crystal)
  • powder (speed)
  • bace

Crystalline methamphetamine (ice) is a highly purified form of methamphetamine with a crystal-like appearance. The only difference between ice and the other methamphetamines, speed and base, is that ice undergoes additional refinement to remove impurities. Ecstasy, which is sold as a tablet, is also a methamphetamine derivative.
Amphetamine was first synthesised in 1887, and was used in the 1930s to treat asthma. Today, amphetamines and amphetamine derivatives are used in the treatment of narcolepsy (a sleep disorder) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). In 1935 a study of the effects of amphetamine in hospital workers found that the most commonly reported effects were a sense of wellbeing and exhilaration, and reduced fatigue, while during World War II amphetamine was extensively used to combat fatigue and increase alertness in soldiers.

Candice Cruz

Diamond Member
I used to drive as a long distance truck driver . some of the comets about Cristal-meth reminded me about things we did So I Googled

base, crystal, ice, crystal meth, meth, shabu, ox blood, whiz, goey​
Methamphetamine is a man-made stimulant drug - a more potent form of the drug amphetamine. It was first synthesised from ephedrine in 1918, and was also used during World War II.
There are different forms of methamphetamine, generally distinguished by their appearance and perceived purity.
The three main forms are:
  • crystalline (ice or crystal)
  • powder (speed)
  • bace

Crystalline methamphetamine (ice) is a highly purified form of methamphetamine with a crystal-like appearance. The only difference between ice and the other methamphetamines, speed and base, is that ice undergoes additional refinement to remove impurities. Ecstasy, which is sold as a tablet, is also a methamphetamine derivative.
Amphetamine was first synthesised in 1887, and was used in the 1930s to treat asthma. Today, amphetamines and amphetamine derivatives are used in the treatment of narcolepsy (a sleep disorder) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). In 1935 a study of the effects of amphetamine in hospital workers found that the most commonly reported effects were a sense of wellbeing and exhilaration, and reduced fatigue, while during World War II amphetamine was extensively used to combat fatigue and increase alertness in soldiers.

I was waiting to see if someone else is would come up with history of amphetamines itself. :)

Candice Cruz

Diamond Member
.... I knew that going into this thread would be some what triggering, as I have had first hand experience myself, however... Clean since 01/12/2016 :happy:

I agree with identifying it with the sense of smell, compared to physical symptoms— as those physical symptoms mentioned are the exact same symptoms that would be listed under the DSM to diagnose somebody with AD/HD, (I’ve gotten into so many arguments with people in general that accuse me of ‘being on it,’ so many times, I’ve come to being upfront that it’s not ‘ice,’ it’s AD/HD. Also... even with that— the medication that is prescribed for it, is, in fact, derivative of methamphetamine itself:

Methamphetamine Molecular Formula: C10H15N
Dexamphetamine Molecular Formula: C9H13N
Only difference really are the “legal / illegal” labels...

Candice Cruz

Diamond Member
I'm well aware of the different walks of life who become ice addicts. I myself came from an extremely tough start in life and haven't gone that way, Not Even Once. I understand that some turn towards towards Ice to hide from the past and present. I know some gold spoon children who had perfect upbringings who have been addicts for years. I also was in a relationship with someone who started using while we were together though it took me a bit to figure it out and I was far from naive,,it destroyed him, our relationship, his friendships (except the druggy ones) and other members of his family. I stayed for another 6 years, stuck it out, tried to help he didn't want to help himself and his addiction was destroying me so I broke free of his drug addicted ways. Best thing I ever did. 10 years on and he's still an addict, looks like the balloon men out the front of car yards half the time. In the 6 years I stayed I learnt all the signs, smells, behaviours and nastiness that is Ice from him and all the addicts he associated with.

And back to the topic. There is most definitely a smell about users as distinct as the physical signs.

You’re amazing to have been through that, and strong to not have gone down that spiral of hell yourself.

I, myself, didn’t have a problem giving it up/going cold turkey... it was only months after going sober that I had realised “the thing about drug addiction actually had very little to do with the drug/s itself”

As soon as someone ‘uses’ such drugs, and activates the reward pathway in the brain..... that’s when it becomes complicated. A lot of people don’t realise that drugs do in fact take over that persons’ life. (dilated pupils; most say ‘eyes are the window to the soul;’ but when you try to talk sense into an ‘addict,’ that person is no longer the person you once knew/love... And that takes a whole lot of patience and understanding to get through and overcome, some reach their limits and just have to walk away from such toxicity without ruining their on lives just to keep their sanity)

I’m glad that you got yourself out of that situation, and I hope you take pride in yourself that you did, as that takes a lot of courage to do; something that many others struggle with.

Love & light your way ☀

Candice Cameron
WL @ Langtrees VIP Canberra | 0431 923 756
Twitter | Instagram

T

Tania Admin

You’re amazing to have been through that, and strong to not have gone down that spiral of hell yourself.

I, myself, didn’t have a problem giving it up/going cold turkey... it was only months after going sober that I had realised “the thing about drug addiction actually had very little to do with the drug/s itself”

As soon as someone ‘uses’ such drugs, and activates the reward pathway in the brain..... that’s when it becomes complicated. A lot of people don’t realise that drugs do in fact take over that persons’ life. (dilated pupils; most say ‘eyes are the window to the soul;’ but when you try to talk sense into an ‘addict,’ that person is no longer the person you once knew/love... And that takes a whole lot of patience and understanding to get through and overcome, some reach their limits and just have to walk away from such toxicity without ruining their on lives just to keep their sanity)

I’m glad that you got yourself out of that situation, and I hope you take pride in yourself that you did, as that takes a lot of courage to do; something that many others struggle with.

Love & light your way ☀

Candice Cameron
WL @ Langtrees VIP Canberra | 0431 923 756
Twitter | Instagram
Thank you Candice xo

Candice Cruz

Diamond Member
All that I’ve mentioned above comes from first hand experience and my own opinions.

Here’s credible information I found from this source:

Physical risks

Physical risks are those that affect an individual's body. Users of all methamphetamines identify that there were short term physical harms associated with their drug use, including:
  • teeth grinding and through this, teeth decay
  • loss of weight, which was a concern more for males than females
  • loss of vitamins and nutrients that was detrimental to the body
  • harm from the other ingredients used to ‘cut’ the methamphetamine and
  • the potential for accident or violence for oneself or from others
"It's the moral code you would normally have that does not apply."

The long term physical risks identified were similar to the short term risks, just more extreme. Users identified that frequent use over the long term could cause:
  • continued weight loss to the point of looking malnourished
  • rapid ageing
  • loss of physical appearance in terms of developing acne, looking gaunt, having pale skin
  • for ice users, the potential to develop scars caused by scratching their skin and
  • potential for increased blood pressure, heart problems, and stroke (more so for dependent users)
The risk of sexually transmitted infections through unsafe sexual practices, particularly HIV and hepatitis, was considered both a short term and long term risk23. This was perceived as more relevant to the gay community than heterosexual users.

More information:

Cracks in the ice: Trusted, evidence based information for the community:

Last edited by a moderator:

janny-ammerson

Gold Member
All that I’ve mentioned above comes from first hand experience and my own opinions.

Here’s credible information I found from this source:

Physical risks

Physical risks are those that affect an individual's body. Users of all methamphetamines identify that there were short term physical harms associated with their drug use, including:
  • teeth grinding and through this, teeth decay
  • loss of weight, which was a concern more for males than females
  • loss of vitamins and nutrients that was detrimental to the body
  • harm from the other ingredients used to ‘cut’ the methamphetamine and
  • the potential for accident or violence for oneself or from others
"It's the moral code you would normally have that does not apply."

The long term physical risks identified were similar to the short term risks, just more extreme. Users identified that frequent use over the long term could cause:
  • continued weight loss to the point of looking malnourished
  • rapid ageing
  • loss of physical appearance in terms of developing acne, looking gaunt, having pale skin
  • for ice users, the potential to develop scars caused by scratching their skin and
  • potential for increased blood pressure, heart problems, and stroke (more so for dependent users)
The risk of sexually transmitted infections through unsafe sexual practices, particularly HIV and hepatitis, was considered both a short term and long term risk23. This was perceived as more relevant to the gay community than heterosexual users.

More information:

Cracks in the ice: Trusted, evidence based information for the community:

Thanks for the info!

lonelyman

Gold Member
This is from a 4 Corners documentary by the ABC in 2006. Watching it today still scares me. I won't be surprised if all the people featured are dead. Hope I'm wrong. Sincerely.
link not working so taken down

Last edited by a moderator:

CDSC

Gold Member
Things to look out for:

- enlarged pupils
- erratic and fast speech
- greyish skin
- skin problems in general (lots of pimples, scabs etc)
- raised temperature (are they sweating or have bad BO?)
- chemical smell coming from the skin or breath
- 'Gurning' or jaw tension (looking like they are chewing gum)

Can anybody think of anything else?
I though the iris in the pupil dilates when high. Courtesans in Venice took belladonna to make this happen. Irises also dilate when we are attracted to someone and so we are often attracted to folk under the influence of drugs.