• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Advice needed to Quit Smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sioxie

Foundation Member
Hi everyone,

I know this is totally OT but i know alot of you out there are smokers and might be able to offer me some advice!!!!!!!!!

Have been trying to quit cold turkey the last 3 days but its not working.....i had become a packet a day gurl for the last few months and to just give up has been hard.........i started off going for the lesser mg ciggies and weaning myself off but the cravings are driving me crazy.........Have become cranky and unmanageable, havent been able to sleep for want of a cigarette, am snapping at people and my whole day seems to resolve around the need for a nicotine fix...........ps i have also had to give up coffee as well aaaghhhhh.....

Need some advice for what has worked best for anyone that has tried to give up and either succeeded or failed.........i dont like gum so that is out of the question :(
Do the nicotine patches work? Any other helpful advice?

S

STUDDD_CK

advice

Hey Sioxie,

the only thing that worked for me was by removing all reminders of cigarettes -ashtrays lighters, paraphenalia etc. Not going out (socially) for 3 weeks, not drinking for 3 weeks. Visualising myself refusing cigarettes, crushing packets, laughing when offered etc.

Generally staying away from cigarette smoke for at least 2-3 weeks by this time u cant stand the smell of it and it looks absolutely ridiculous as you see finally (as a non-smoker)the insecurities of those that smoke. (Ever feel like a smoke when stressed or nervous).

However the adage 'once a smoker always a smoker' is true I took it up again after 8 months of not smoking. But I am not too phased I dont smoke every day nor all day. Basically I am managing it as opposed to having eliminating it. This can be done however with committment and a positive attitude to you achieving your goal. Be watchful of what you say to your subconscious as it will respond obediently and that is the part of your brain you need to reign in.

Hope this helps.
ps. how r the Banshees these days??? :icon_boun

princesssuzie

Foundation Member
Hi Sioxie

I gave up about 8 weeks ago when I caught the flu and I couldn't stand the taste of a smoke. I find I'm ok except when I go to LP's, when I've bludged the occasional 3 or 4, but then I haven't continued on.

My workmates are very supportive of me and so is my family and I don't want to disappoint them. I don't really know how I will go as I've smoked and given up many times over the last 20 years, so time will tell.

My only advice really is that you have to want to yourself give up without people hounding you or trying to make you quit.

Hope this helps.

Suzie

N

naughtybuttnice

Help???

Yep!!! I have been a smoker since my teens and only given up when finding I was pregnant, "Both times" and not smoking thru whole of pregnancy, but then starting up within weeks of having the children. Starting with the celebration cigars leading into the routine of smoking again...Whether the excuse is because I am stressed, going thru a hard time of my life, enjoying it, or whatever! I always seem to go back to it...Y???...Addiction?, Comfort?....Who know's???...I think and say all the time I am going to give it up...So If any of you out there can help Sox help me 2... :headbang:

M

Mary Anne PA

Sioxie, I gave up smoking on 27th November 2004 after 20 odd years of smoking. I knew I couldn't do it cold turkey, so I went and checked out smokenders, and during a 7 week course, 5 of which was spent smoking, I gave up at the end of that 5 weeks no owrries, after being reconditioned against the years of habitual smoking. It was a cool process, changing habits, reducing levels, not having one first thing in the morning etc etc.

We all couldn't believe that at the end of 5 weeks we would just stop, but literally everyone did. The first 2 weeks were fairly easy, but the work environment I am in made it too easy for me to take back up as everyone was a smoker virtually and it was in my face every single day. Started off with just a puff here, a puff there, then a few stressful days and smoking in my face, at home it was easy not to have any when I wasn't seeing others smoking.

I eventualy took it back up, still hate it and hope soon some stage in the future will give up again.
Believe it or not, with smokenders, there was no crankiness etc, I couldn't believe how easy it was.

J

jen_b

sioxie I wish your best of luck with giving up.
I am a nonsmoker so I don't know what you are going through......but I did watch
my dad try, he had to give up because of his heart. plus he smoked heavy for nearly
50 years
He try the patches twice, the first time he went back to smoking after a few week
the second time he got a dog and used the patches...everytime he got a craving
he would take the dog for a walk..... it has been 8 year now since he stop

C

Carla

Hi there,

When I gave up, I too went cold turkey - its the best way to do it .
I told all my friends, workmates, family- even people I had just met! - that way there was no excuse. If you come straight out with the fact your a non smoker or giving up, you cant cheat! There wont be any sneaking ciggarettes from unsuspecting people who don't know you're giving up!
It's already been said, but definately don't go out for the first couple of weeks. I know that sucks, but there will be too many temptations.
Seriously, if you can help it, don't try and give up coffee at the same time! You will have major, major withdrawals - which by the sounds of it you've already experienced!
I didn't chew gum but chewed everything! pencils, straws, haha!
And remember, you don't generally stop a habit, you often replace one habit for another one (hopefully a better habit!). So don't stress if you tend to eat a little more than usual! The small amount of weight you gain (like 3ks) when you stop smoking comes off after a couple of months. Trust me! Often women stress about weight gain when they stop but don;t realise its such a small amount, and that it comes back off when your body adjusts.

Good Luck.

Its a bit tough at first but seriously, if you want to stop smoking you will. Just keep focused on your goal. Don;t beat yourself up if you have one or two every now and then (or a complete blowout one weekend!), just pick yourself back up and keep going! A slip up is not a failure, expect it, except, deal with it, and get on with it! Yay!

xxxxxxxxx Carla

M

Mary Anne PA

Smokin

Get pregnant or find a ood enough reason to quit like adding on extra years of your life will power. Never stop trying . It took me three serious attempts but i finally did it.About fifteen years ago. {i was not pregnant}

sioxie

Foundation Member
caveman said:
Get pregnant or find a ood enough reason to quit like adding on extra years of your life will power. Never stop trying . It took me three serious attempts but i finally did it.About fifteen years ago. {i was not pregnant}

LOL getting pregnant is DEFINATELY not an option caveman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And thanks to everyone else for their advice. I snuck a few ciggies in on the weekend but only had abt 3 for the whole weeknd so that was pretty good for me and i didnt let myself feel too guilty for it........... ::)

S

Spice Me

sox...get some patch packs and some one nice to suck on hen you get the craves,.,,,, :icon_blow

nothing like a hard-on to distract you from your cravings sunshine :3some:

Spice Me :headbang:

R

red0412303609

sure method here----- when u feel like a ciggy dont put it in ya mouth- put it downstairs-- hehehehehehhe-- well that way u mite really wanna stop--- hey it mite work-- yes its wude I know but maybe maybe maybe lol

Status
Not open for further replies.