Tony Abbott. Your opinion?

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
Well, if we were in Russia, we'd be convinced it was a grand conspiracy by the imperialist West to depose our valiant leader because it wants to get its greedy hands on our precious natural resources and keep our motherland weak.

Except I don't think Mr Putin would be concerned about spills. Well, not the kind to vote him out of his job anyway.

Blood_spill.jpg

Regardless of how appalling our politicians can get, I'm grateful and proud we can remove them using the ballot box (internal party room or polling booth) instead of bullets.

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
I cannot believe that the Abbott government has not finalized last years budget as yet . WTF have they been doing besides enjoying their pay rise.

N

nightrider

Why and how do the fucking liberal party room people get to sack the PM we the voters have voted in???

We vote these idiots in and only we should get to vote em out!!!

svengali

Foundation Member
I agree with Nightrider: Choosing the P.M. and firing him if necessary should be the prerogative of the people rather than the party. Sadly our constitution can only be changed by a referendum and, historically, no proposed amendments to that have ever been approved so we are probably stuck with the status quo.

I believe the spill motion will be defeated and Abbott will survive. It wouldn't surprise me if he arranged it at arms length to bring matters to a head so he can draw a line under past events and move on. After all, although the press, particularly the lefties of the ABC are beating this up it really doesn't matter a toss. The focus should be on the Government's policies, not on personalities.

XLNC

Legend Member
xlnc as a Canberran
Is there a special club for deposed PM's
And if so is there a metal detector so that all knives are left at the door?

No point. They usually enter the club with a full cutlery set Lodged (geddit? geddit?) in their back. :D

XLNC

Legend Member
My prediction is that his loyal female deputy will catch him unawares and disLodge him (geddit? geddit?) from the PMship, he will go to the backbench and immediately begin white-acting her leadership, the Coalition won't return with an absolute majority at the next election and she will have to form a minority government with Clive "Titanosaurus" Palmer and Jacqui "Size Queen" Lambie (both of whom get re-elected by their wacky electorates because there's nothing better on telly), the country will go downhill even further while they leak confidential discussions and brief journos against each other, she'll finally bring things to a head by calling a spill, he'll win it (coz nobody else wants to lead a mortally wounded government), but lose the 2019 election.

And the cycle will repeat. Deja vu anyone?

Lingham

Diamond Member
Gone...if not next week then soon. He is mortally wounded and can't survive.

I see that Laurie Oakes agrees with me. That lends some credibility to my opinion, for he generally calls these things correctly.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
Why and how do the f**king liberal party room people get to sack the PM we the voters have voted in???

We vote these idiots in and only we should get to vote em out!!!

Prime Ministers are not Presidents and even presidents that have been elected by the people can be given the chop

At the federal level, Article II of the United States Constitution (Section 4) states that "The President, Vice President, and all civil Officers of the United States shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors." The House of Representatives has the sole power of impeaching, while the United States Senate has the sole power to try all impeachments. The removal of impeached officials is automatic upon conviction in the Senate. In Nixon v. United States (1993), the Supreme Court determined that the federal judiciary cannot review such proceedings.

To much mucking around for me and John

Happy2

Legend Member
You know the thing that gets me ?
It seems like only yesterday Prime Ministers Gillard and Rudd were getting the exact same vitriol as Abbott is now getting

Happy2

Legend Member
I just meant When Gillard was a point of discussion on this site She was pilloried or just plain insulted
Now its another PM But the same dislike comes through and as soon as another PM is annointed It will start all over again

We just dont seem to realise how lucky we are to be in this country and even if the system is not perfect there are many other democracies out there whether republics constitutional monarchies or what that cant hold a candle to our country and its system