Ms Sue

Legend Member
Hi All,
Maryanne and Langtrees have been raising money for the children under the bridge in Manila and I was given a amazing chance to go over and meet the children that live under the bridges in Manila.To see these children is one of the most humbling experience of my life.. These kids have nothing and I mean nothing no food little clothes and yet they are so happy...
I will put photos and a blog regarding our trip very soon ......
Ms Sue
xoxo

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Yes, I can relate to this experience. I spent 12 months in India and what I have seen there did put a lot of things in perspective. Thinking materialistic we are the lucky ones......thinking life happiness I am not so sure.
However.........a great experience Sue, looking forward to the pics.

R.xxxxxxxx

Madam Jacqui

Madam @ Langtrees
Legend Member
I Know Sue, been there before for 2 months when my sister's husband was working there. xxxxxxxxx

P

Perth boy

Sue that's great to hear you guys are helping. I have been to Manila as well as other Asian city's and have Sean what you are talking about. Myself I have arranged and paid for 11 family's from the Philippines to migrate to Perth and waiting approvel fot two more It's a real buzz to help these people and makes you feel so proud. The looks on thire faces with just the small things you do is priceless. Traveling regually to Asia really changed my outlook on life.
Just keep doing your bit it makes a difference.

T

Tania Admin

It makes me so proud to be Aussie when I see how giving so many in our community are. To Mary-Anne, Ladies @ Langtrees and all the punters who donate, you rock.

T

Tania Admin

I am hoping the fundraising for this worthy cause is still going well :)

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I can tell you our bank account is around $18,000 we want to purchase a house as a drop in centre for the kids and Sue & I will be going over next month, once the real cold hits.

Pixie O'Malley

Gold Member
Is there anything we can send over - aside from the cash for these kids? Of course the cash pays for food and education, but small toys, or maybe colour books (perhaps this could be impractical?), funky bright coloured beanies or blankies for the cooler months (I'm not sure what the weather is like in manila?).

Cash is great and meets physical needs of food etc etc.

Assuming this is a proper registered charity, is it possible to have receipts avail for donations so if punters want to make significant donations during their visits they can have a receipt for tax purposes? Also if us LT's girls want to have donations to a registered charity to reduce our tax bill we could do that? Girls could make a voluntary donation out of their credit cards each week (only if they wanted to, of course) and have a receipt for them at reception or emailed through which they could keep for BAS time?

I know I'd be keen for that, I'm keeping all my GST claimable receipts like a hoarder, as I really don't want a huge GST bill!

xx P

T

Tania Admin

Just wondering how the fund raising is going? How close is Mary-Anne to acquiring that house for these gorgeous kids?

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Just wondering how the fund raising is going? How close is Mary-Anne to acquiring that house for these gorgeous kids?

Good question, Tania.......asked myself the same thing. Looks like our donation box on the reception does a great job ;) .........the punters seem to like it.

R.xxxxxxx

R

Raye@Langtrees

Good question, Tania.......asked myself the same thing. Looks like our donation box on the reception does a great job ;) .........the punters seem to like it.

R.xxxxxxx

Like MAK said earlier that she has acquired over $18.000. she should have made more now may 20K plus I should imagine, we have been doing very well on donation box.

T

Tania Admin

That's awesome news Raye, $18000 2 months ago, should be close to the goal for a house now. I will be doing my tax soon and promise to put some in the collection.

honestman

Gold Member
For having lived in JKT for the first decade, poverty was one thing that I quickly became used to.. And any last times of me visiting back it's a different, somewhat sorrowful "home" in the mind; at times.

--

...And, fast forward that to recently some time ago before I decided to join LT's forum - the photos from the Children Under The Bridge feature page/s Mary Anne put up still have some permanent place in the back of my mind.

I do not concretely believe in God or in heavenly form of miracles by simply wishing and giving blessings upon blessings to those in need. We are all too distant and far away from them. If I want to help "someone" then I would not hesitate to lend a share of the heart within reach. That was at least certainly the case when I met & lent some help whilst I was still unemployed in '11.

I might be near broke for sure (hell, I'd say many of us here at my work), but this still doesn't stop my regular contribution as a member of Oxfam.

Wishing Ms Sue and Mary Anne the best in these endeavours.... These kids may one day never know who to thank for when they've all grown up. Smiles & thoughts for these kids.

Madam Jacqui

Madam @ Langtrees
Legend Member
Im so glad everyone's helped in raising funds for Children under the Bridge. Thanks to Maryanne for the good deed she's doing as Always.xxxxxxx

Pariss69

Gold Member
Children Under the bridge donation box is awesome ;D Clients and myself as a working lady are more than willing to support a great cause what a brilliant initiative and a great contribution to making our world a better place;D Paris.......xxx

T

Tania Admin

Just wondering how this great cause is all going..Do the kids have their house yet?

Ms Sue

Legend Member
Hey Tania,

The cause is going very well... I spoke to Mrs Lyn on the 24/10/2013... The kids are going really well... She has increased the number of children they are feeding from 60 to 82....The Kids are also doing bible studies at Mrs Lyn house on Sundays.... Mrs Lyn is also organizing a small party for the kids at Christmas time.... Last year we where able to give the kids a small gift and will be doing the same again this year...
Early next year Maryanne and I will be heading over to the Philippines to purchase a home.....

Also just to add to this Maryanne also purchased some computers for children over in Russia....

Thanks for taking a interest ..
Ms Sue
:):):):):):):):)

T

Tania Admin

That's awesome. I'm glad it's all going well for them. I will put in $50 towards their presents :)

Mary-Anne never ceases to amaze me with her generosity and that reaches across the globe. There will be some very happy kids in Russia :)

S

suzythefloozy

There've been complaints about how other charities collect money and after the cost of admin etc, very little goes to the charity itself. Still - something's better than nothing.

How much of the money in the donation box, percentage wise, makes it to Manila? Can anything be done to improve the percentage, apart from more donations of course?

Are you able to claim it as a tax benefit perhaps or does that apply only to Australian charities?

T

Tania Admin

All the money in the box goes to the kids, I know this personally as I used to bank it for the kids. The administration costs are absorbed by Mary-Anne who also contributes personally to the fund. Only a very small percentage can be claimed on tax if it's claimed at all.

The best way to help the Children Of Manilla is to give generously when you see the box on the counter and know that it all goes (every cent) to the people it is intended to help. :)