Schapelle Corby one step closer to freedom

Ms Sue

Legend Member
Any opinions............
SCHAPELLE Corby is a step closer to freedom after a key meeting of senior Correctional Board officials in Jakarta.
The meeting, to discuss her parole, was held late last week but officials are saying only that Corby's parole application is still being processed.
It is not known if the meeting decided to officially recommend that the 36-year-old's parole bid be approved or whether it has been put over for further discussion.
Department of Corrections spokesman Akbar Hadi Prabowo said on Monday: "Yes, we held the meeting on Thursday. The meeting also discussed Corby's parole … Corby's parole application is still being processed."
Waiting ... officials are saying only that Schappelle Corby's parole application is still being processed.
Sources close to the Corby family say that they have not yet been informed about the meeting or its outcome.
Suggestions on Channel 7 that the family was celebrating were completely false, the source said.
Once the meeting approves her parole and makes a formal recommendation there is just one more step before she can walk out of Kerobokan Jail to her family and relative freedom in Bali - Justice Minister Amir Syamsuddin must sign-off and give his approval to her parole.
Mr Syamsuddin has already publicly indicated that Corby is entitled to parole and that he will sign the papers granting it.
Long process ... Schapelle Corby, pictured in 2006, has been eligible for parole for almost 18 months now after serving two-thirds of her sentence. Source: AFP
But the time frame on when the minister would give the final sign-off and sources say it could takes weeks or months more, especially as Indonesian politicians are now in pre-election mode for the upcoming April parliamentary elections.
Then, more than 10 years after she was arrested at Bali airport with 4.2kg of marijuana in her boogie board bag, Corby will taste freedom for the first time.
Under her parole conditions, she must remain living in Bali until the expiration of her sentence and she must serve an extra year on supervision meaning she will not be allowed to leave Indonesia until 2017.
Conditions ... Schapelle Corby must live with her sister Mercedes in Bali while on parole. Source: Supplied
Corby has been eligible for parole for almost 18 months now - after serving two-thirds of her sentence - but has faced a series of bureaucratic hurdles which have made the parole application a lengthy process.
The latest was the need for the Indonesian Immigration Department to provide a letter declaring that she did not require a "stay permit" to remain living in Bali on parole.
That was finally provided earlier this month and together with a guarantee from the Australian Government, forms part of the strict conditions under which Corby must live in Bali while on parole.
She must live with her sister Mercedes and Balinese brother-in-law Wayan Widyartha, at their home in Kuta, with Wayan acting as guarantor for Corby.
She must be of good behaviour, remain drug and crime free and report regularly to the Parole Board and the Australian Consulate in Bali. She must follow all their directions and has signed a declaration in August last year that she will follow all parole conditions or risk being sent back to prison.
While on parole Corby will be free to travel around Bali and, with permission Indonesia but must not leave the country until the expiration of her sentence. That would be 2016. But under the parole rules, she must then remain in Indonesia for an extra year, under parole authority supervision, and would not be free to return to Australia until 2017.

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
it is a shame that Corby's family decided to fight the charge , instead of doing what Michelle Leslie did 18 months after SCHAPELLE was cought . SCHAPELLE was meant to buy her freedom not contest it , that is why the Indonesian justice is making it hard for her to get parole .

they will not let her be free ( on Parole ) for long when they sign her off .

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy;- Keep her locked up, its all been a con!!!!!
Hmmm movie rights will go up a few more million LOL

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
There is a lesson here for all Australians never try to reform our Australian jury system with twelve peers for serious criminal cases,

Lingham

Diamond Member
I've read a few books about the case and still can't make up my mind if she is guilty or was set up.

Her sister Mercedes came across as competent and sensible but the same can't be said for the rest of her family.

Lingham

Diamond Member
Not sure, WK, but anything is possible in the prison in Bali. I wonder if she's played 'hide the sausage' in the time she's been in there.

W

wr3xr

I think anyone whos survived living anywhere in bali deserves a better life after 10+ years in that dump.

Sooner we can all forget about her the better imho.

Pwncess

Silver Member
I'm really glad that it's looking like she will be out soon.

I don't know whether or not she did it, I think the only person that really knows is her, but regardless of whether she did it or not, nobody deserves to lose so many years of their life over something as small as this.

I know that you need to respect the laws of other nations and that you need to make yourself aware of the consequences, but to have your life more or less ruined over something that would not even land you with a $1500 fine in Australia is very, VERY harsh.

T

Thatguy

I know that you need to respect the laws of other nations and that you need to make yourself aware of the consequences, but to have your life more or less ruined over something that would not even land you with a $1500 fine in Australia is very, VERY harsh.

Harsh by our standards and laws.. but not by theirs...

Pwncess

Silver Member
Harsh by our standards and laws.. but not by theirs...

Harsh by any compassionate human being's standard, I'd imagine.

We've all made mistakes, losing 10+ years of your life over a little bag of a substance that should be legal anyway is absurd.

Hell, these days rapists and murderers don't even get 10 years jail.

T

Thatguy

Some middle eastern countries if you steal, they chop off your hand..

the thing is.. its THEIR COUNTRY... and their laws... regardless of my personal feelings on if their laws are harsh or not... its their laws and if you go there and break them.. then you suffer their penalties...

Harsh by any compassionate human being's standard, I'd imagine..

basically you have just labelled an entire country as non-compassionate...

Pwncess

Silver Member
I didn't label an entire country as non-compassionate, i labelled their law non compassionate... Hell most of the Balinese / Indonesian people over there I've seen interviewed have been in full support of Schapelle.

And just because something is a law in a country does not make it ethically or humanely correct.

I'm sure if Schapelle was your daughter, or sister, you'd have a lot stronger opinion on the issue...

You have probably made far worse mistakes in your life than having a bag of weed, which is actually legal in a lot of places.

R

Reggie

Wasn't it 10 kilo's of grass, if so, hardly a small bag. Who would have thought that international drug smuggling into a third world country would be frowned upon. The penalties are way over the top, 10 years is extreme, however her sentence was reduced by 5 years due to her depression, so it seems that they were trying to help her to a point. It could well have been worse in Malaysia or Thailand etc.

There was an older lady that went to Greece quite a few years ago now to meet up with her family. She was carrying Panadine Forte, which is cool here but Codeine was, and maybe still is, illegal in Greece. She was taken straight from the airport to a prison, they held her for about 10 days and returned her to the airport just in time for her flight out. One hell of a Greek holiday.

If you travel overseas, especially to third world countries, know the laws and the penalties if you choose to break those laws. Ask Chambers and Barlow, oh wait, you can't.

Pwncess

Silver Member
It was 4.2kg not 10kg, but yeah I guess that's a reasonable amount.

But the punishment is still absurd and in-humane.

But no point arguing, it's all just opinion.

R

rankin

I've read a few books about the case and still can't make up my mind if she is guilty or was set up.

Her sister Mercedes came across as competent and sensible but the same can't be said for the rest of her family.

I'm with you Lingham ... can't help feeling she is protecting someone ...perhaps a family member??

svengali

Foundation Member
I recall the furore this case caused when it first broke.

Basically the family and media did just about everything wrong. Like most post-colonial countries Indonesia is very sensitive to any outside interference in its internal affairs and to open up by publicly criticising their judicial system was mistake No.1.

When the verdict was announced both sister and Mum screamed abuse at the judges, again hardly sensible. Then we had that show-off spiv of a lawyer publicly asking the Australian Government to stump up the money to bribe her out of jail. Yeah - Indonesians can't read papers, can they? I am sure that really helped the Judges feel sympathy for the poor girl.

With that much idiocy around her defence it is a wonder she didn't end up facing a firing squad.

As others have already said their country, their laws. We don't have to agree with them but it is best to make sure we don't end up on the wrong side of them.

W

wr3xr

If she'd paid the "fine" and kept it quiet she'd have been ok. Everyone knows most SEA or indo 3rd world shit holes are corrupt so you just have to play the game.

While many think of the balinese as their friends, most are just corrupt and or greedy. They'll do anything for money

Rasmey 1

Foundation Member
It very different laws in diffeent country and peoples must be careful. This not about foreigners but in Cambodia if police stop local girl an she have condom in handbag they say she working girl and arrest her. Not only stupid law but many girls not so easy to do safe sex cos they can't take condom! I hope Sharpel can get out soon

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
It very different laws in diffeent country and peoples must be careful. This not about foreigners but in Cambodia if police stop local girl an she have condom in handbag they say she working girl and arrest her. Not only stupid law but many girls not so easy to do safe sex cos they can't take condom! I hope Sharpel can get out soon

Not the best BUT
gladwrap.jpg

Happy2

Legend Member
Hope you didn't use a rubber ring to keep it in place FB
But Chanraksmey That is terrible , about the girls being arrested for carrying a condom
Would that same law apply to a western girl on holiday in Cambodia to?