Optical Illusions

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
There is a logical explanation to all this.
Houndini? Yes, there was. But amazing how he went about it. Very smart and very creative combined with a bit of madness.
Escher is just awesome........I can't get enough of him.
How about that........

images

images

MrBig

Diamond Member
The Missing Dollar.

Three men decided to split the cost of a hotel room. The hotel manager gave them a price of $30.

The men split the bill evenly, each paying $10, and went to their room. However, the hotel manager realized that it was a Wednesday night, which meant the hotel had a special: rooms were only $25. He had overcharged them $5!

He called the bellboy, gave him five one-dollar bills and told him to return it to the men.

When the bellboy explained the situation to the men, they were so pleased at the honesty of the establishment that they promptly tipped the bellboy $2 of the $5 he had returned and each kept $1 for himself.

So each of the three men ended up paying $9 (their original $10, minus $1 back) totalling $27, plus $2 for the bellboy makes $29.

Where did the extra dollar go?

(I know that this is not an optical illusion, but rather a mathematical illusion using flawed logic.
Posting this is the "Tipping" thread might be more appropriate, then perhaps a shonky mathematician can devise a method to tip, but actual get more back then they originally paid.
Cheers)

Happy2

Legend Member
The Missing Dollar.

Three men decided to split the cost of a hotel room. The hotel manager gave them a price of $30.

The men split the bill evenly, each paying $10, and went to their room. However, the hotel manager realized that it was a Wednesday night, which meant the hotel had a special: rooms were only $25. He had overcharged them $5!

He called the bellboy, gave him five one-dollar bills and told him to return it to the men.

When the bellboy explained the situation to the men, they were so pleased at the honesty of the establishment that they promptly tipped the bellboy $2 of the $5 he had returned and each kept $1 for himself.

So each of the three men ended up paying $9 (their original $10, minus $1 back) totalling $27, plus $2 for the bellboy makes $29.

Where did the extra dollar go?

(I know that this is not an optical illusion, but rather a mathematical illusion using flawed logic.
Posting this is the "Tipping" thread might be more appropriate, then perhaps a shonky mathematician can devise a method to tip, but actual get more back then they originally paid.
Cheers)
I think that may follow a similar method as the one of fitting 10 people into 9 rooms and yet giving them a room each As a 10 yr old I was amazed at dads ability to do this and the simple diagram he used to explain it

Any one old enough to remember how it was done perchance?

MrBig

Diamond Member
H2
Are you just thinking of the simple one based on there being only 9 letters in spelling "tenpeople" ?

A variation is 10 horses in 9 stables with same solution.

As a 10 year old one might find that to be quite clever unless he/she/other was a "Sheldon Cooper" at that age.

Last edited:

Happy2

Legend Member
H2
Are you just thinkimg of the simple one based on there being only 9 letters in spelling "tenpeople" ?
Actually No Its done with a diagram of 9 boxes side by side Then showing how 10 people can get a room each Actually I remember it was 11 people in 10 rooms But still , It was silly but enthralled a kid

I guess it is better if I dont recall it, I will remember dad doing it and smile and wonder how the sneaky old basket did it

MrBig

Diamond Member
Actually No Its done with a diagram of 9 boxes side by side Then showing how 10 people can get a room each Actually I remember it was 11 people in 10 rooms But still , It was silly but enthralled a kid

I guess it is better if I dont recall it, I will remember dad doing it and smile and wonder how the sneaky old basket did it
I found a possible solution on web to yours (not done with boxes tho' - but can be done that way) and it's a very obviously "flawed logic"problem (for adults at least) and best to leave alone so that your memory of the "old basket" remains intact.
Cheers

Madam Tracey

Cyclone Langtrees
Staff member
Legend Member
This one's specially for you Cyclone. Don't get dizzy over me and get caught in the vortex.
View attachment 37096
Thank you very much. My head is spinning trying to find the missing $1. whats worse is I have heard this one before and thought I knew the answer. Damn!
MrLittle is this spinning vortex some way to test people for epilepsy....?