Manufacturing trends that are disturbing to some.

J

jaxonjorja

We, as consumers, also need to take some of the responsibility here (assuming you think it is a bad thing). In relation to the original article posted by Master Yoda, if we didn't buy so many iPhones, iPods, iPads etc etc, then Apple would not need to produce so many. If Apple didn't need to produce so many, they would not need so many employees. If Apple didn't need so many employees, they could probably source those employees in USA.
Problem solved!!

Demon

Legend Member
Do you hand deliver all your letters and parcels.

Postal services and delivery companies are outsourcing. Been around for centuries.

Are you 100% self sufficient?

If everyone in the world was self sufficient no-one would be able to sell goods or services to anyone else.

Return to subsistence living.

Happy2

Legend Member
If everyone in the world was self sufficient no-one would be able to sell goods or services to anyone else.

No more talkin sexsite, Langtrees or w/l's
Bite your tongue demon

J

jaxonjorja

Do you hand deliver all your letters and parcels.

Postal services and delivery companies are outsourcing. Been around for centuries.

Are you 100% self sufficient?

No from me to all the above. I'm just saying that if we don't like to final outcome (ie outsourcing to countries with cheaper and more abundant labour supplies), we do have the power as consumers to minimise that happening by reducing our purchases of these products.

W

WRXXXR

That's sort of rubbish.

Consumers want cheaper goods and we live in a material world.

Buying and supporting local is almost a fantasy. I have a shop that sells different products. Some imported from china and others made locally. The quality (in this case) is almost the same yet the Aussie version costs more. I use the same margins. "why's that more than this". Made in oz, "ok I'll take the cheaper item".

The fact is that people want mass produced goods (Ie tv's) and it's much cheaper to manufacture them in china. Some times conditions aren't flash but sometimes there ok.

Business costs are always increasing (my rent just went up by 4k a month, electricity always increases, staff want more money etc) so we need to look at where we can save money and what we can make money on.

If I was offering the current 70" led tv to replace your current tv, every single person on this site would accept it. Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting the latest apple toy or better speakers for the theatre. I'm only here once so I'm going to enjoy it.

A

Alecia the Foxx

That's sort of rubbish.

Consumers want cheaper goods and we live in a material world.

Buying and supporting local is almost a fantasy. I have a shop that sells different products. Some imported from china and others made locally. The quality (in this case) is almost the same yet the Aussie version costs more. I use the same margins. "why's that more than this". Made in oz, "ok I'll take the cheaper item".

The fact is that people want mass produced goods (Ie tv's) and it's much cheaper to manufacture them in china. Some times conditions aren't flash but sometimes there ok.

Business costs are always increasing (my rent just went up by 4k a month, electricity always increases, staff want more money etc) so we need to look at where we can save money and what we can make money on.

If I was offering the current 70" led tv to replace your current tv, every single person on this site would accept it. Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting the latest apple toy or better speakers for the theatre. I'm only here once so I'm going to enjoy it.

Except that the public's insatiable lust for "the latest technology" is screwing the planet. I disagree that its ok. I think wanting the latest purely because it is the latest is rampant materialism at its worst.

Demon

Legend Member
No from me to all the above. I'm just saying that if we don't like to final outcome (ie outsourcing to countries with cheaper and more abundant labour supplies), we do have the power as consumers to minimise that happening by reducing our purchases of these products.

If they don't earn income providing us with good and services, how can we expect them to buy from us.

Just as people get older and more educated and more experienced they move on to more highly skilled and better paying jobs, so it is with countries.

A developed country wanting to preserve 1950s jobs is sad. Australia needs to be developing 21st century jobs, and leaving the 1950s jobs to countries which are climbing the economic ladder.

Otherwise we are similar to parents who keep the basic jobs for themselves and don't allow their kids to get up the ladder of economic success.

If all countries are economically successful, we will have greater world harmony. One of the reasons for conflict (but not the only one) is envy of those better off.

"All boats rise in a rising tide". We want all countries to do better. Economics and business is not like sport. Sport is win-lose (except for soccer - draws all over the place). In business and economics everyone can win. Monopolies reduce business to win-lose, which is why most countries do what they can to eliminate monopolies.

Protectionism and subsidies to business introduces monopoly behaviour and the win-lose outcome. [Take from one group (losers) and give to another group (winners) based on political decisions]. The recipients are those who could not convince buyers to buy their product, so politicians penalise those buyers, when the dud business is at fault. Result = lazy business, which further hurts the economy.

"Australian" (?) car industry has been subsidised since 1948. Still useless. The further subsidy that almost all Aust govt cars (Federal and state) are from these companies is a further subsidy. Take out govt purchases and you will see how small the demand is for these poor cars.

(I have managed car fleets and the life-cycle cost of Aust cars is high. High maintenance costs due to poor design and workmanship, as well as poor resale value due to physical deterioration of the car. Had my staff work the numbers, and cross checked with a major fleet manager, and confirmed that it was much cheaper to avoid them and got more reliable vehicles as well.)

J

jaxonjorja

I agree with you completely WRXXXR. My point was directed at those complaining about the results of our consumerism. They should be the ones who have the questions asked of them:
Do you drive a new / near new car? Does it run on fossil fuels?
Do you use a mobile phone?
Are some of your goods made overseas?

If they answer yes to these and any number of other similar questions, they then have no right to complain.

W

WRXXXR

Except that the public's insatiable lust for "the latest technology" is screwing the planet. I disagree that its ok. I think wanting the latest purely because it is the latest is rampant materialism at its worst.

Of course it has but there's nothing that will ever stop it happening

Demon

Legend Member
The countries which don't trade are the economic powerhouses of the world:

1. North Korea
2. Cuba
3. Laos
4. old East Germany (East German cars were crap - remember the Top Gear episode)

The higher percentage of an economy which trades internationally (import and export) the richer it is in the long term.

Australia got rich by trading, and before protectionist policies came in. Richest country in world (per capita basis) in 1900.

A

Alecia the Foxx

Have already explained on this forum in a previous thread, Jaxon. It's not hard to find out about, if you are truly interested. You are not, your attitude is one of environmental skepticism (which is the biggest danger to this planet) so I am not wasting my time on you.

J

jaxonjorja

You are absolutely correct. First time for everything, I guess!!
Demon & WRXXXR mustn't have been able to locate your post in previous threads either

A

Alecia the Foxx

You are absolutely correct. First time for everything, I guess!!
Demon & WRXXXR mustn't have been able to locate your post in previous threads either

That's crap. WRXXXR and I had a similar discussion on that thread. As I said, I don't waste my time on close-minded people.

J

jaxonjorja

That's crap. WRXXXR and I had a similar discussion on that thread. As I said, I don't waste my time on close-minded people.

It's not crap, it's just my opinion, but based on his posts in this thread, it seems like he might have changed his view...I don't know.
What I do know though is that you'll be pushing it uphill with a stick to make much change to the insatiable appetite for consumerism in our world any time soon.
I am with you though on your point about close-minded people. I too try to keep my distance from them.

W

WRXXXR

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Billions of people aren't going to wake up tomorrow not wanting cheaper products and new technology.

It'll get worse not better. It's the way of the world. A few people on a forum won't ever change that.

J

jaxonjorja

I hope you haven't changed your view WRXXXR, after previously discussing it on another thread. Lol. :nono::nono:

J

jaxonjorja

and here I was thinking that was only the prerogative of the fairer sex to change their minds::) Oh well, I'm happy to admit when I am wrong :eek:ccasion14

hungman1808

Bronze Member
I outsourced my love/ sex life. Wider variety, cheaper and higher quality :). Only urgent immediate needs are serviced locally.

Australia currently is being sought after as a great place to live due to the social safety net (free health, benefits, baby bonuses) available to people who come to live here and stay.

A place needs to find its niche, and adjust over time to get the best benefit. Remember what a waste of time mining companies were 15 years ago? The headlong rush to move out of and distance companies from resources and into the "boom" of the internet? How BHP nearly went broke? How as a country we needed to develop tertiary industries as there was no future in just minerals and farming?

Things are constantly evolving. Already many labour intensive industries (clothing for one) are moving out of China for a cheaper labour force.

Remember the above the next time someone says the mining boom will go on forever because it is different this time. It was different when Japan started buying in the 60s!

Diamond Dog

Foundation Member
Outsourcing sounds fine but the reason America and other European countries have chronic high unemployment is because most of the manufacturing jobs have gone to Asia.
Manufacturing produces the most jobs.
Its the reason why America has a massive trade imbalance and a huge budget deficit.
Those jobs create income and taxes and the wealth is being transferred from countries like America to Asia.
America and other countries are on a slippery slope to poverty because of this and most people do not even know it.
Australia would be in the same position if it was not for our mining, you cannot outsource iron ore and coal deposits.

America now has 50 Million people living below the poverty line. In 20 years they will have 150 million people below the poverty line. Spain has 26% youth unemployment while Foxconn in China who makes everything for Apple and other companies has factory cities with 300,000 people working in them.

Read this article.

How the U.S. Lost Out on iPhone Work

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/b...ss.html?_r=2&ref=charlesduhigg&pagewanted=all

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
Outsourcing sounds fine but the reason America and other European countries have chronic high unemployment is because most of the manufacturing jobs have gone to Asia.
Manufacturing produces the most jobs.
Its the reason why America has a massive trade imbalance and a huge budget deficit.
Those jobs create income and taxes and the wealth is being transferred from countries like America to Asia.
America and other countries are on a slippery slope to poverty because of this and most people do not even know it.
Australia would be in the same position if it was not for our mining, you cannot outsource iron ore and coal deposits.

America now has 50 Million people living below the poverty line. In 20 years they will have 150 million people below the poverty line. Spain has 26% youth unemployment while Foxconn in China who makes everything for Apple and other companies has factory cities with 300,000 people working in them.

Read this article.

How the U.S. Lost Out on iPhone Work

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/b...ss.html?_r=2&ref=charlesduhigg&pagewanted=all

Amazingly informative article. It certainly tells the whole story from the perspective of that reporting team. Long article too. It took Siri 45 minutes to read it to me.

Demon

Legend Member
I outsourced my love/ sex life. Wider variety, cheaper and higher quality :). Only urgent immediate needs are serviced locally.

:laughing4

I interpret that as "someone else has the sex/love life for me". So you are now celebate and someone else services your wife/girlfriend. She gets more variety and better quality at a cheaper price. She now gets satisfaction I presume.

Only if she is desperate for is NOW does she use the local product/service (i.e. you).

Happy2

Legend Member

I interpret that as "someone else has the sex/love life for me". So you are now celebate and someone else services your wife/girlfriend. She gets more variety and better quality at a cheaper price. She now gets satisfaction I presume.

Only if she is desperate for is NOW does she use the local product/service (i.e. you).

Methinks you have too much time on your hands for cogitation Demon
Just take it as face value Our friend scoots of to Asia to get some
And if the dirty water on his chest gets to much he visits a local lady

Demon

Legend Member
Methinks you have too much time on your hands for cogitation Demon
Just take it as face value Our friend scoots of to Asia to get some
And if the dirty water on his chest gets to much he visits a local lady

I have learned in my time not to assume.

You might be correct H2, but that is not the way it was worded.

When one goes to court, as per another thread, it is what is written, not what was intended, that matters. Written is evidence, intention is hearsay (or making it up later to try and win).

Mainly I liked the humour my post introduced.:laughing4 (It was not primarily about the facts but looking at it another way).

Maybe I could try the practical joke and be the outsourcer of his wife's sex life.