If they brought Drive-in cinemas to Perth...

svengali

Foundation Member
I was a young lad getting my license when the drive -in theatres started and over the next few years they closed down most of the indoor theatres. Then the video recorder and video libraries arrived, real estate prices rocketed and the Drive - ins started closing. Now streaming and the internet have killed the video libraries and the classy indoor theatres are coming back.

I wonder what will be next? The Star Treck holodeck, perhaps??

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
In there day they where huge, family car loads, friends car loads, going on dates, every weekend you would go to the drive Ins if you had nothing else to do. For those who do not know, there was always a CAFE attached to each Drive-in as well as bathroom-facilities.
The audio was terrible, LOL, I remember watching and listening to Led Zepplin, there first touring movie.
Visually great under the moon light, audio was bad, LOL

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
From what I gather, in the early 90s, some drive-ins upgraded and you just had to tune your radio into a certain frequency. You could listen on your forway stereo then. That's if you really went to the drive-in to watch movies of course.

I wonder how many people in Australia were conceived in drive-ins?

aussie_single34

Resident kinky pervert
Foundation Member
Still go to the drives
Usually for car related cruise events

Last time I went to Busselton was with the crew for the Cadillac Nationals in 15 I think
When they closed down I bought a pole and 2 speakers... plan to set them up in my shed so grandson and I can watch movies together in the car. Big screen on the wall and upgraded speakers.

Next weekend we have a car event ending at the drives on Sat night.

Morgan Sapphire

Diamond Member
In there day they where huge, family car loads, friends car loads, going on dates, every weekend you would go to the drive Ins if you had nothing else to do. For those who do not know, there was always a CAFE attached to each Drive-in as well as bathroom-facilities.
The audio was terrible, LOL, I remember watching and listening to Led Zepplin, there first touring movie.
Visually great under the moon light, audio was bad, LOL
Oh yeah I remember the cafe at the drive in . Not a bad feed .

Goodstuff36 Bon truc in french

Goodstuff. Bon truc in french
Legend Member
He drive inns are fun
Rember going to the dusk till Dawn sessions getting food from the snack bar then going back and hopping into the wrong car with frightened couple looking at me.
Starting with home alone life of Brian mad Max terminator Australia after dark never ever forget the bad taste last movie clockwork Orange

Legend Member
He drive inns are fun
Rember going to the dusk till Dawn sessions getting food from the snack bar then going back and hopping into the wrong car with frightened couple looking at me.
Starting with home alone life of Brian mad Max terminator Australia after dark never ever forget the bad taste last movie clockwork Orange
There is still two drive inns in Melbourne Coburg and Luna drive in dandenong

Luckypete 08

Legend Member
Wow now this does bring back memories when younger and we ( friends ) would go to Lakelands (near Dapto N.S.W.) Drive-in nearly every Friday night and drink ...eat.... and do other things haha....remember getting caught by security hiding in the boot of a mates car trying to get in for free....hmmm memories

sludgie

Gold Member
Most Perth drive ins had a set of swings just in front of the screen for the kids and always had cheap lemon and orange cordial in paper cups and crappy but tasty half dried burgers. Also the midnights on a long weekend was the highlight. Roll up about 10 pm with a few other cars , just hang out and play cards etc, gates open 11.30, sneak in who ever you could and park in the 2 back rows with all the panel vans and station wagons. In my era cb radios were the go so at the Forrestfield cinemas those with no money ( a common thing in my youth) would park outside and we would use a cb station to broadcast the sound. On more than one occasion was woken up by the staff as we had fallen asleep watching the movies.

Legend Member
Most Perth drive ins had a set of swings just in front of the screen for the kids and always had cheap lemon and orange cordial in paper cups and crappy but tasty half dried burgers. Also the midnights on a long weekend was the highlight. Roll up about 10 pm with a few other cars , just hang out and play cards etc, gates open 11.30, sneak in who ever you could and park in the 2 back rows with all the panel vans and station wagons. In my era cb radios were the go so at the Forrestfield cinemas those with no money ( a common thing in my youth) would park outside and we would use a cb station to broadcast the sound. On more than one occasion was woken up by the staff as we had fallen asleep watching the movies.
We all fell asleep at the dusk till dawns I rember those paper straws they had for there drinks and milk shakes they just folded they never worked.