• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

..Historical Events

Osman

Gold Member
May 21st

Amelia Earhart becomes the first woman to make solo, nonstop transatlantic flight.

I can't even begin to imagine the excitement she must have felt. Such a huge feat for the time and for women :)

Is it just me or does she look hell sexy in this pic?!

Five years to the day that American aviator Charles Lindbergh became the first pilot to accomplish a solo, nonstop flight across the Atlantic Ocean, female aviator Amelia Earhart becomes the first pilot to repeat the feat, landing her plane in Ireland after flying across the North Atlantic. Earhart traveled over 2,000 miles from Newfoundland in just under 15 hours.

Unlike Charles Lindbergh, Earhart was well known to the public before her solo transatlantic flight. In 1928, as a member of a three-person crew, she had become the first woman to cross the Atlantic in an aircraft. Although her only function during the crossing was to keep the plane’s log, the event won her national fame, and Americans were enamored with the daring and modest young pilot.

View attachment 98655

Amazing number of theories as to her disappearance in 1937. I guess we'll never know what happened.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
April 21st 1918

World War I: German fighter ace Baron Manfred von Richthofen "The Red Baron", shot down and killed over Vaux sur Somme in France, Canadian pilot Arthur Roy Brown credited with the kill .

View attachment 96037 View attachment 96038

* Taking the Piss out of the Germans

Royal Guardsmen - Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron

Now I don't have an exact date for this other than 1972 but it really hit me in the feels.

View attachment 97490

OK But what was her name ?

T

Tania Admin

May 22nd

I had difficulty trying to find something of great importance for today and then I stumbled across this article. Though not "important" "as such" it definitely made me laugh 😂🤣😂🤣

Cher calls David Letterman an asshole on Late Night on NBC (Well he is an asshole 😂)

Goddess of Pop
Cher

a.jpg

Comedian and Television Host
David Letterman

a..jpg

Please if you can find something more worthy for this thread for today, post away :)

Osman

Gold Member
Nixon admits Watergate coverup
by gary_satanovsky

Watergate is the scandal to which all other political scandals try to live up. “Monica-gate” (or Lewinsky-gate”) was the affair between President Bill Clinton and a White House intern; Hack-gate is the scandal involving News of the World tabloid reporters hacking into private citizens’ voice mails. Dozens of more “gate” scandals exist after a guard at the Watergate hotel discovered a break-in to to the National Democratic Convention headquarters.
On this day, May 22, in 1973, after a long series of denials of involvement, president Richard Nixon issued a 4,200-word public statement on the Watergate imbroglio, giving answer to the questions of “what did the president know” and “when did he know it.”
Nixon admitted his failure in supervision and in checking the illegal acts, saying “With hindsight, it is apparent that I should have given more heed to the warning signals I received along the way about a Watergate coverup.” But he remained defiant on his own role on the coverup, stating categorically he had no role in the break-ins or their subsequent cover-up.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
Not quite sure what you are getting at? It's a part of history. I may have Polish in part of my ancestry but I also have German. No racism here.

Not sure of her name but I'm happy for you to research a bit and share it with us all. 👍

Well you have to listen to to the song and watch the video and yes its taking the piss also Brown's family protested , but you had to be alive and listening to music in 1965 to know this .

T

Tania Admin

May 23rd

I grew up in South Australia on Cawthorne St. 100 metres up the road was Light TCE. Named after Colonel Light whose home was built on the corner. Our house was built where his stables were. Many a day was spent digging in our yard and finding old coins, bottles and horse shoes.

20200523_213517.jpg

Streets and squares in Adelaide, capital of South Australia, are first named.

Adelaide is the capital city of South Australia, the only Australian state to have remained entirely free of convicts during its early history. The city of Adelaide was designed by Colonel William Light, born at Kuala Kedah, Malaya on 27 April 1786. He was the first Surveyor-General of South Australia, arriving in South Australia in 1836 to decide on a suitable site for the new settlement.

images (12) - 2020-05-23T212341.290.jpeg

Colonel Light began surveying Adelaide on 11 January 1837, beginning at the junction of where North and West Terraces now stands. This point is now marked by a granite obelisk. Completing his survey on 10 March 1837, Colonel Light then commenced the task of naming streets and squares in the new town on 23 May 1837.

images (12) - 2020-05-23T212647.624.jpeg

Following Light's death on 6 October 1839, he was buried in Light Square, Adelaide.

Screenshot_20200523-213728_Chrome.jpg

Osman

Gold Member
There was a statue of Colonel Light erected in Victoria Square but relocated to Montefiore Hill in 1938 where it still stands.

light-s-vision-at-montefiore.jpg

T

Tania Admin

May 24th

To celebrate Buddha's Birthday, the 14th Dalai Lama visits India, where he is received by Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru

a.jpg

When India attained Independence on August 15, 1947, there were questions about what Free India should adopt as its national symbols. In many ways, Buddhism represented the aspirations and ethos of a New India. The Constituent Assembly had little hesitation in adopting India’s rich Buddhist heritage, and the symbols eventually chosen reflected it.

T

Tania Admin

May 25th

Well, I was a young one when this opened in theaters but funnily enough I do have memories of the hype. Still a great movie in my eyes.

"Star Wars" opens in theaters

The incredible success of Star Wars–it received seven Oscars, and earned $461 million in U.S. ticket sales and a gross of close to $800 million worldwide–began with an extensive, coordinated marketing push by Lucas and his studio, 20th Century Fox, months before the movie’s release date. “It wasn’t like a movie opening,” actress Carrie Fisher, who played rebel leader Princess Leia, later told Time magazine. “It was like an earthquake.” Beginning with–in Fisher’s words–“a new order of geeks, enthusiastic young people with sleeping bags,” the anticipation of a revolutionary movie-watching experience spread like wildfire, causing long lines in front of movie theaters across the country and around the world.

T

Tania Admin

May 26th

Now this one stood out to me because I have always found vampires incredibly sexy 🥰

The first copies of the classic vampire novel Dracula, by Irish writer Bram Stoker, appear in London bookshops .

a6.jpeg
a5.jpg
a6.jpg

T

Tania Admin

May 27th

As a rule I steer away from anything racial on our Forum. But I 100% believe this was an important day for All Australians, especially our indigenous population who really deserved more and sooner.

An Australian referendum recognises more Aboriginal rights as equal citizens.

Aboriginal people became Australian citizens in 1947, when a separate Australian citizenship was created for the first time. Prior to this, all Australians were "British subjects". Aboriginal people gained the vote in Commonwealth territories in 1965, and earlier in different states, according to various state laws.

The referendum of 27 May 1967 approved two amendments to the Australian constitution relating to Indigenous Australians, removing two sections from the Constitution. The first was a phrase in Section 51 (xxvi) which stated that the Federal Government had the power to make laws with respect to "the people of any race, other than the Aboriginal race in any State, for whom it is deemed necessary to make special laws." The referendum removed the phrase "other than the Aboriginal race in any State," giving the Commonwealth the power to make laws specifically to benefit Aboriginal people.

1..jpg 1.jpg

T

Tania Admin

May 28

This I've included for my own selfish reasons. It brings back so much nostalgia from my younger days.

Irene Cara has a #1 pop hit with the "Flashdance" theme

“Flashdance (What a Feeling)” was not the first hit song from a movie soundtrack for Irene Cara, whose star was launched by the 1980 film Fame. Cara not only played the starring role of Coco in the movie Fame, but she also recorded not one but two Oscar-nominated songs for it: the title song “Fame” (a top-10 hit in the summer of 1980) and “Out Here On My Own” (a top-20 hit that same fall). By far her biggest impact as a musician, however, would come with her work on the movie Flashdance.

T

Tania Admin

29th May

We can all see why this was an important day for New Zealand and the world.

The world’s first state-run maternity hospital opens

At the beginning of the 20th century, the quality of midwives varied from caring and competent to dirty and dangerous. As Assistant Inspector of Hospitals, Grace Neill had seen first-hand the harm done by poor midwifery. She wanted to improve health care for both mothers and babies.

At this time, there was concern about the effects of high infant mortality on the future of the nation. In 1903, 81 infants died for every 1000 born. Prompted by these numbers, Premier John Seddon published a ‘Memorandum on Child-Life Preservation’ with recommendations for improving the health of infants and children: registration of midwives, state-subsidised midwives for the poor and state-controlled maternity homes. These sections were undoubtedly penned by Neill, the main proponent of these changes. She had stroked Seddon’s considerable ego by proposing that the hospitals be named ‘St Helens’ after his Lancashire birthplace.

After the legislation was passed, Neill took on the task of setting up the first (and later the second, third and fourth) St Helens Hospital. The timeframe was tight; the Liberal government dragged its heels before deciding that the hospital should be set up well in advance of the election due in December. In three weeks, Neill sourced equipment, found and leased a 24-room building in Rintoul St, Wellington, and engaged two very experienced women as matron and sub-matron.

b.gif

On 29 May 1905, the hospital was ready to receive its first patients. In addition to providing care for expectant mothers, the St Helens hospitals trained midwifery students.

b.jpg

T

Tania Admin

30th May

100% honesty states I could not find anything really important for this day. But the bird poop birthmark is something I will always remember about this dude!

Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev arrives in Washington, D.C., for three days of talks with President George Bush. The summit meeting centered on the issue of Germany and its place in a changing Europe.

When Gorbachev arrived for this second summit meeting with President Bush, his situation in the Soviet Union was perilous. The Soviet economy, despite Gorbachev’s many attempts at reform, was rapidly reaching a crisis point.

b.jpg

T

Tania Admin

May 31st

According to our poll we have quite a few gentlemen who most likely idolised this guy when they were kids.

Actor and director Clint Eastwood is born

Best known to his many fans for one of his most memorable screen incarnations–San Francisco Police Inspector “Dirty” Harry Callahan–the actor and Oscar-winning filmmaker Clint Eastwood is born on May 30, 1930, in San Francisco, California.

With his father, Eastwood wandered the West Coast as a boy during the Depression. Then, after four years in the Army Special Services, Eastwood went to Hollywood, where he got his start in a string of B-movies. For eight years, Eastwood played Rowdy Yates in the popular TV Western series Rawhide, before emerging as a leading man in a string of low-budget “spaghetti” Westerns directed by Sergio Leone: Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1965) and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966). All three were successful, but Eastwood made his real breakthrough with 1971’s smash hit Dirty Harry, directed by Don Siegel.

b.jpg

c.jpg d.jpg

T

Tania Admin

I don't have an exact day for this but wow 😲 and wow not in a good way. How terrible :(

A Sikkimese woman carries a British colonial officer on her back, West Bengal, India, 1900.

FB_IMG_1590959072332.jpg

T

Tania Admin

June 2nd

Mountaineer Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and his Nepalese Sherpa guide Tensing became the first men to conquer Mount Everest, the world's tallest mountain. The two reached the pinnacle of Everest, more than 29,000 feet above sea level, at 11.30 a.m

1...jpg

1....jpg

T

Tania Admin

June 3rd

I can imagine it was quite difficult for these amazing ladies. Being the 1st female police officers in New Zealand and the mens club that policing was back in those days.

First women enter police training.

Calls for policewomen had been expressed since the 1930s when the National Council of Women started lobbying for approval for women officers. Their efforts were rewarded when 10 women from various parts of New Zealand were recruited in June 1941 – a time of workforce pressures due to the Second World War.

Trainees were required to be well educated, aged between 25 and 40, unmarried or widowed, have shorthand and typing skills, and pass a strict medical test. The 10 women selected, all aged between 30 and 35, trained at the Police Training school on Rintoul St in Wellington for three months.

Upon completion of their training in October, the policewomen were sent to Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin where they worked as temporary constables in detective branches. Most dealt with cases involving women and delinquent children. Although they were not uniformed until 1952 they had full authority to arrest lawbreakers.

1....jpg

T

Tania Admin

June 4th

For all you car enthusiasts out there. And we all know Fords Are The Best!

At approximately 4:00 a.m. on June 4, 1896, in the shed behind his home on Bagley Avenue in Detroit, Henry Ford unveils the “Quadricycle,” the first automobile he ever designed or drove.
And on this day he drives it through the streets of Detroit.

1....jpg

1....jpg

T

Tania Admin

June 5th

Here we sit, right now, on technology that these 2 had a massive hand in. Lets Give them a round of applause!

Ada Lovelace (future 1st computer programmer) meets Charles Babbage.

In 1843, Ada Lovelace — the only legitimate child of the poet Lord Byron — translated a scientific paper by Italian military engineer Luigi Menabrea titled Sketch of an Analytical Engine, adding seven footnotes to it. Together, they measured 65 pages — two and half times the length of Menabrea’s original text — and included the earliest complete computer program, becoming the first true paper on computer science and rendering Lovelace the world’s first computer programmer. She was twenty-seven.

About a decade earlier, Lovelace had met the brilliant and eccentric British mathematician Charles Babbage who, when he wasn’t busy teaming up with Dickens to wage a war on street music, was working on strange inventions that would one day prompt posterity to call him the father of the computer. (Well, sort of.) The lifelong friendship that ensued between 18-year-old Lovelace and 45-year-old Babbage sparked an invaluable union of software and hardware to which we owe enormous swaths of modern life — including the very act of reading these words on this screen.

1....jpg 1...jpg

T

Tania Admin

June 6th

We will all have to agree that this was a very important day in history

D-Day: Allies storm Normandy’s coast

Supreme Allied Commander General Dwight D. Eisenhower gives the go-ahead for the largest amphibious military operation in history: Operation Overlord, the Allied invasion of northern France, commonly known as D-Day.

1...jpg

By daybreak, 18,000 British and American parachutists were already on the ground. An additional 13,000 aircraft were mobilized to provide air cover and support for the invasion. At 6:30 a.m., American troops came ashore at Utah and Omaha beaches.

1.....jpg

Before the Allied assault, Hitler’s armies had been in control of most of mainland Europe and the Allies knew that a successful invasion of the continent was central to winning the war. Hitler knew this too, and was expecting an assault on northwestern Europe in the spring of 1944. He hoped to repel the Allies from the coast with a strong counterattack that would delay future invasion attempts, giving him time to throw the majority of his forces into defeating the Soviet Union in the east. Once that was accomplished, he believed an all-out victory would soon be his.

1....jpg

Though D-Day did not go off exactly as planned, as later claimed by British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery–for example, the Allies were able to land only fractions of the supplies and vehicles they had intended in France–the invasion was a decided success. By the end of June, the Allies had 850,000 men and 150,000 vehicles in Normandy and were poised to continue their march across Europe.

T

Tania Admin

June 7th

I know a few of our older members like this sort of music, so this is for you ❤
I have to admit it is very catchy.

"Thank God I'm a Country Boy" by John Denver hits #1

T

Tania Admin

June 8th

I'm sure we will all agree that this was a very smart and important day in New Zealand History.

New Zealand goes nuclear-free

The New Zealand Nuclear Free Zone, Disarmament, and Arms Control Act was passed into law, establishing this country as a nuclear and biological weapon-free zone.

The Act was passed in the aftermath of the mid-1980s nuclear ships stand-off between New Zealand and the United States. The nuclear-free movement, however, had its roots in ideas that emerged in the 1960s: a push for an independent, ethical foreign policy, which had grown out of opposition to the Vietnam War; and environmentalism, which sought to preserve New Zealand as a green unspoilt land.

1...jpg

T

Tania Admin

June 9th

This lady was an extremely important but rarely heard of part of history. I truly believe everyone should know her name.

Estelle Griswold, a birth control advocate and pioneer and defendant in the Supreme Court case Griswold v. Connecticut which legalized contraception for married couples in 1965, was born today in 1900.

1...jpg

T

Tania Admin

10th June

I wasn't even born until after Janis passed away in 1970 but I still appreciate her musical talent ❤

Janis Joplin's 1st live concert (Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco)

1...jpg

T

Tania Admin

11th June

Such a beautiful lady inside and out, Olivia has done so much for so many charities and faced many of her own adversities.

UN appoints Olivia Newton-John environmental ambassador

Olivia Newton-John has had a long and successful career as a singer, straddling both country and pop music.

As an actor her most famous role was Sandy in the film adaptation of the Broadway musical "Grease" opposite John Travolta. The role won her a Golden Globe award.

Newton-John is also known as an advocate for health issues, including breast cancer, from which she has personally suffered.

1...jpg

T

Tania Admin

June 12th

An important day in New Zealand history. For those of you who don't know, @Mrs Langtrees (Forum Founder and Langtrees Owner) was born in New Zealand in a lovely town called Kaitaia.

Following the news of royal assent to the New Zealand Ensign Act 1901, the New Zealand blue ensign that had been adopted for use on government ships in 1869 was proclaimed as ‘the recognised flag of the colony for general use on shore within the colony and on all vessels belonging to the Government of New Zealand’. On 27 June its specifications were gazetted – the red-on-white stars of the Southern Cross were now considerably larger than those on the 1869 ensign.

1......gif