• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

..Historical Events

T

Tania Admin

26 April 1986 - Chernobyl Disaster
The Chernobyl disaster was a nuclear accident that occurred on Saturday 26 April 1986, at the No. 4 reactor in the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, near the city of Pripyat in the north of the Ukrainian SSR. It is considered the worst nuclear disaster in history and is one of only two nuclear energy disasters rated at 7, the maximum severity, on the International Nuclear Event Scale, the other being the 2011 Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in Japan.
The Chernobyl accident was the result of a flawed reactor design that was operated with inadequately trained personnel. The resulting steam explosion and fires released at least 5% of the radioactive reactor core into the environment, with the deposition of radioactive materials in many parts of Europe. Two Chernobyl plant workers died due to the explosion on the night of the accident, and a further 28 people died within a few weeks as a result of acute radiation syndrome.
View attachment 96609
View attachment 96610
I recently watched the series about Chernobyl. What a mess. The containment is due to be renewed and I worry it will be like opening a whole new can of worms.

T

Tania Admin

April 27th

The Australian Labor Party under Prime Minister Chris Watson becomes the first Labor government in the world.

a1.jpg

South Africa holds first multiracial elections

More than 22 million South Africans turn out to cast ballots in the country’s first multiracial parliamentary elections. An overwhelming majority chose anti-apartheid leader Nelson Mandela to head a new coalition government that included his African National Congress Party, former President F.W. de Klerk’s National Party, and Zulu leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi’s Inkatha Freedom Party.

T

Tania Admin

April 28th

Three weeks into a journey from Tahiti to the West Indies, the HMS Bounty is seized in a mutiny led by Fletcher Christian, the master’s mate. Captain William Bligh and 18 of his loyal supporters were set adrift in a small, open boat, and the Bounty set course for Tubuai south of Tahiti.

Replica of The Bounty built in 1960
a1.jpg

T

Tania Admin

April 28th

Ferruccio Lamborghini, the founder of the company that bears his name and is known for stylish, high-performance cars, is born in Italy.

I sooooooo L❤ve Lamborghini's. The 1986 Countach is my dream car ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

a1.jpg

Osman

Gold Member
April 28th

Ferruccio Lamborghini, the founder of the company that bears his name and is known for stylish, high-performance cars, is born in Italy.

I sooooooo L❤ve Lamborghini's. The 1986 Countach is my dream car ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

View attachment 96858

Yes, Lamborghini sounds so much more stylish doesn't it? Imagine if his name was John Smith. I drive a Smith!!!! :)

Fat boy

Each day is a journey & the journey itself is home
Legend Member
April 28 2003
Andre Agassi became the oldest men's player to be ranked No. 1 with a dramatic comeback victory over Andy Roddick to win the United States Men's Clay Court Championships yesterday in Houston. _39147605_andre203.jpg

T

Tania Admin

April 29th

In a year marked by as much social and cultural upheaval as 1968, it was understandable that the New York Times review of a controversial musical newly arrived on Broadway would describe the show in political terms. “You probably don’t have to be a supporter of Eugene McCarthy to love it,” wrote critic Clive Barnes, “but I wouldn’t give it much chance among the adherents of Governor Reagan.” The show in question was Hair, the now-famous “tribal love-rock musical” that introduced the era-defining song “Aquarius” and gave New York theatergoers a full-frontal glimpse of the burgeoning 60s-counterculture esthetic. Hair premiered on Broadway on April 29, 1968.

a3.jpg

The brief nude scene at the end of Act I was a subject of controversy and notoriety Miller writes that "nudity was a big part of the hippie culture, both as a rejection of the sexual repression of their parents and also as a statement about naturalism, spirituality, honesty, openness, and freedom. The naked body was beautiful, something to be celebrated and appreciated, not scorned and hidden. They saw their bodies and their sexuality as gifts, not as 'dirty' things."

Hair glorifies sexual freedom in a variety of ways. In addition to acceptance of interracial attraction, mentioned above, the characters' lifestyle acts as a sexually and politically charged updating of La bohème; as Rado explained, "The love element of the peace movement was palpable." In the song "Sodomy", Woof exhorts everyone to "join the holy orgy Kama Sutra".[Toward the end of Act 2, the tribe members reveal their free love tendencies when they banter back and forth about who will sleep with whom that nightWoof has a crush on Mick Jagger, and a three-way embrace between Claude, Berger and Sheila turns into a Claude–Berger kiss.

a2.jpg

a1.jpg

Osman

Gold Member
I am old enough to remember when Hair hit the entertainment scene, and the controversy over the nudity. Apparently people didn't realise everyone is naked underneath their clothes. :)

Fat boy

Legend Member
29 April 1852
Roget's Thesaurus is a widely-used English thesaurus, created by Dr. Peter Mark Roget (1779–1869) in 1805 and released to the public on 29 April 1852. The original edition had 15,000 words, and each new edition has been larger. The Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum houses the original manuscript in its collection. images (4).jpeg

Osman

Gold Member
Sir Donald visited the Adelaide Oval once a week for many years, spending all day signing books and other ephemera. I'd hate to think how many autographs he would have signed in his lifetime. I think I possess the only copy of the Bradman Albums in existence that hasn't been signed by The Don :)

Fat boy

Legend Member
Didn't that Cook guy pop into Australia on April 29th ?
That's right, but because Captain Cook is so widely reported in the media, we decided to give him a break, and let others have a chance to shine.

Fat boy

Legend Member
30 April 1938
Released on 30 April 1938, Porky's Hare Hunt is a Looney Tunes cartoon, directed by Ben Hardaway and starring Porky Pig and an unnamed rabbit who would serve as a basis for future star Bugs Bunny.
The cartoon is centered on Porky Pig and his dog trying to hunt down a pesky rabbit who was stealing from his cornfield, with little success but lots of comical failures.
vlcsnap_2018_04_01_15h53m06s010.jpg

T

Tania Admin

Sir Donald visited the Adelaide Oval once a week for many years, spending all day signing books and other ephemera. I'd hate to think how many autographs he would have signed in his lifetime. I think I possess the only copy of the Bradman Albums in existence that hasn't been signed by The Don :)
Mrs Langtrees has a few collected pieces from the Legendary Sir Donald Bradman, here in Darwin. Perhaps @Shannon Starr* could pretty please take a couple of pics tonight whilst she is still online and add them to this thread?

T

Tania Admin

May 1st

Jim Corbett killed the notorious man-eating leopard of Rudraprayag at Gulabrai village, who had attacked and killed about 125 people.

a1.jpg

Fat boy

Legend Member
1 May 1840 World’s First Postage Stamp Issued
download.jpeg

The world’s first postage stamp, the Penny Black, was issued on May 1, 1840.
Sir Rowland Hill, a man credited with inventing the postage stamp, was born on December 3, 1795, in Kidderminster, England. By 1807, young Roland was already a student teacher at the same school where his father taught. Twelve years later, in 1819, Roland founded the Hazlewood School, in nearby Edgbaston. Hazlewood was unique, as it had a science laboratory, swimming pool, gymnasium, library, gas-powered lights and central heating – at a time when other schools were very poor.
During the early 1800s, the cost of sending a letter in England was very expensive. Each letter was weighed individually and priced according to the weight and distance. In addition, the addressee instead of the sender paid for the mail, and the addressee could refuse to pay. This resulted in not only very high operating costs for the Post Office, but heavy annual losses – due to refusal of payment.
Rowland Hill recognized that the recent industrial revolution had significantly increased literacy among English citizens. He knew that this rise in literacy would result in a greater mail volume, if the postage rates were only lowered a bit. So, the reform-minded Hill proposed the use of adhesive postage stamps and stamped envelopes. By making the sender responsible for the delivery fee, the Post Office would stop losing money on refused letters. Plus, the uniform, low rate of one cent per half-ounce would make mailing a letter affordable for the Post Office and the public. Letters wouldn’t have to be weighed and logged individually anymore, cutting the administration costs drastically.

T

Tania Admin

May 2nd

Loch Ness "Monster" sighted for the first time, igniting the modern legend

The modern legend of the Loch Ness Monster is born when a sighting makes local news on May 2, 1933. The newspaper Inverness Courier relates an account of a local couple who claim to have seen “an enormous animal rolling and plunging on the surface.” The story of the “monster” (a moniker chosen by the Courier editor) becomes a media phenomenon, with London newspapers sending correspondents to Scotland and a circus offering a 20,000 pound sterling reward for capture of the beast.

After the April 1933 sighting was reported in the newspaper on May 2, interest steadily grew, especially after another couple claimed to have seen the animal on land.

Amateur investigators have for decades kept an almost constant vigil, and in the 1960s several British universities launched sonar expeditions to the lake. Nothing conclusive was found, but in each expedition the sonar operators detected some type of large, moving underwater objects. In 1975, another expedition combined sonar and underwater photography in Loch Ness. A photo resulted that, after enhancement, appeared to show what vaguely resembled the giant flipper of an aquatic animal.

a1.jpg

T

Tania Admin

2nd May

Tomb of Leonardo da Vinci.
He died on this Day in 1619-2nd-May.
He was an High Renaissance Genius,Was Brilliant painter,architect,engineer.When he died,he was buried in the church of Saint Hubert, Amboise,France.
FB_IMG_1588414116502.jpg

images (12) (21).jpeg

T

Tania Admin

May 3rd

John McCrae writes the poem "In Flanders Fields"

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

a2.jpg
World War I Soldier & Poet
John McCrae

T

Tania Admin

May 4th

Margaret Thatcher, leader of the Conservative Party, is sworn in as Britain’s first female prime minister. The Oxford-educated chemist and lawyer was sworn in the day after the Conservatives won a 44-seat majority in general parliamentary elections.

Now this lady had "balls". Some of her strategies I didn't agree with but I had to admire her spunk in what is a very male dominated political climate.

a1.jpg