madkat1977

Silver Member
I am loving living in Darwin, love the wild life, even the bats, but they shit at night on our laundry, on our cars, on my newly painted buildings. Is their any way to deter the Bats. appreciate any feedback.

One answer I found (granted it was for protecting pawpaw trees) is using a bike tire tube, cutting it and wrapping it up around the tree pinning one end down and wrapping upwards to pin the other end in. The effect for a bats radar perception is that there is a snake on the tree and tends to avoid landing anywhere near it. I tried this when I was younger and the fruit stopped being ravaged. I will try again on my mango tree as the bats are currently having a field day on my ripening fruit. will post again in a few weeks to post results.

T

Tamara

One answer I found (granted it was for protecting pawpaw trees) is using a bike tire tube, cutting it and wrapping it up around the tree pinning one end down and wrapping upwards to pin the other end in. The effect for a bats radar perception is that there is a snake on the tree and tends to avoid landing anywhere near it. I tried this when I was younger and the fruit stopped being ravaged. I will try again on my mango tree as the bats are currently having a field day on my ripening fruit. will post again in a few weeks to post results.
That's great for them not landing Steve but unfortunately they defecate while flying over head so it's not going to make a difference to the washing :confused:

madkat1977

Silver Member
They tend to defecate when they take off, empting themselves with the effort and gravity. If you can get them to avoid the area entirely, this will occur much less. But, you could do like myself, being a local born and bred I use the dryer religiously for this reason.

madkat1977

Silver Member
P.s when you hear a flying fox taking off from a tree directly overhead or very nearby, keep your head down and move away fast. Experience has taught me unfortunately a few times that this is the best course of action, whatever you do, don't look up when you hear them disengaging. I've done that only once, and believe me you'll never do it a second time, lol. Also they've got some very nasty bacteria in there, one is similar to rabies. (even though we don't technically have rabies in au). Also don't ever try to eat a fruit that's been bitten by a bat (even if you cut away affected area), that's where your most likely going to catch that bacteria I mentioned earlier. cheers.

madkat1977

Silver Member
P.s.s not bacteria but a virus,
Flying foxes have recently been associated with two potentially pathogenic viruses: Hendra or Equine Morbillivirus (EMV) and Australian Bat Lyssavirus (ABLV). ABLV being in the same family as rabies. Remember, if you see an injured bat, do not pick them up,
unless it can be done safely, call the local wildlife rescue association on 89886121. Details are below on vet clinics that are wildlife rescue friendly.
Emergency First Aid (for the bat)
Knowing what to do can make all the difference. It is important to keep the injured animal in a warm, dark, quiet place away from pets. Most animals can be safely picked up by first throwing a large towel over them. Wildcare NT is supported by several vet clinics in and around Darwin. If you find an injured animal please drop it off during business hours at:

- All Pets Vet Hospital
- Parap Veterinary Hospital
- University Avenue Veterinary Hospital
- Howard Springs Veterinary Clinic
- Paul Arnold Bush Photos
- Litchfield Vets
- Darwin Mobile Vets
- The Ark Animal Hospital
or ring Wildcare NT 89 886 121 if you are unable to drop it off.
More info on this link
http://www.wildcarent.org.au/