Worst Football Commentator?

C

colzilla

Who Is The Worst Football Commentator?

As always Bruce McAvaney would be high on the list if not outright worst.... "Special"

Dallas

Legend Member
Don't know about that one although Bruce is annoying, I really liked richie benaud for cricket, and the guy that does the Harvey Norman adds had better not ever become a commentator or I'll go postal.

Happy2

Legend Member
For me it is a toss up between "Special" and the"Thirteen Thirrrrteeeeen" of Anthony Hudson

C

Contrarian

Apart from happy, no one else has said WHY their choice is annoying. Content guys, some content!

Dallas

Legend Member
I find Bruce has an annoying voice and I don't like his commentary style, Richie has a likeable and relaxed voice (sorry cricket I know), and the harvey norman voice over guy makes me feel like I want to slip a sharp implement into my ear drums :)

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
eddie's fairly good as long as he's only calling a PIES match

Happy2

Legend Member
Well it was good fun with Ed doing the Press Red for Ed game Pies V Richmond Especially as the other 3 were Christian Shaw and Daicos
Totally impartial of course
I hope they do a similar broadcast for other teams as well

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
there's also Rex Hunt ....YIBBIDA YIBBIDA THATS ALL FOLKS

Smoggy

Foundation Member
Bruce McAvaney hands down. For me its started when Wayne Carey was is his prime and he was all Bruce McAvaney would talk about. He was Wayne Carey's bitch. No technical analysis of the game nothing just east coast bias talking total crap just for the sake of it. Final straw came after a Dockers game when we gave some Victorian team the old "heave ho" he said "jesss that song never gets any better".

Another unrelated is Geoff Parry "Sssssseeennn News".

C

colzilla

Some of the ABC radio commentators are woeful. Seems the once professional broadcaster Auntie now lets any ex player buffoon behind the microphone. Peter Walsh "Walshie" gets excited by just about anything.

As for cricket I'm glad Peter Roebuck topped himself because the less of his type the better.

weepingeye

Gold Member
Bruce is awful! Basil not far behind.

I once heard an unsubstantiated report that Bruce had commented his favourite sports were synchronised swimming and tennis! Actually suits him haha. Basil is just annoying.

My dad's a funny commentator; "Who's that?" "What's the crowd yelling, 'bull'?!" "Why didn't that burk just push him out of the way?" "Where's your mum?" "Anyone seen my glasses?"

svengali

Foundation Member
Worst ever was years ago - a footy commentator called Jim Fitzmaurice who used to be heard all over the lower South West years ago. He may well be the reason I cannot stand to listen to any sporting commentary these days.

I well remember his nasal whining delivery and my frantic lunges to the off-switch before he ground my nerves to powder.

His most intelligent utterance was this gem: "If x (team) had just kicked a few more goals instead of so many points they would have won that match.

Such brilliant insight!!::)

sparrow

Foundation Member
basil for his making fun of an adelaide player in the changeroom how he was not suspended for several weeks amazes me.not very professional
for someone of his experience.

C

colzilla

I'm a wowser and I've taken great offence Mr Happy2 I can barely hear it but... Shame on you.

chibi

Diamond Member
Worst in cricket was Colin Minson; tried hard, but the poor fella had no radio voice. Rugby union, would be the biased and sometimes sooky New Zealander Grant Nisbett, his compatriot Keith Quinn was similar.

Last edited:

sparrow

Foundation Member
your a bit hard chibi i luv minno commentating because even though wa has played poorly of late he will always stick up for them.

chibi

Diamond Member
I know, I feel a bit guilty putting him here, especially as he is so dedicated.

Actually what am I saying?! Sunil Gavaskar is the worst! Sorry Colin, your voice is a little weak, that's all.

Last edited:

Down boy

Gold Member
My worst footy commentators in no particular order:
Basil.
James Brayshaw
Kelly Underwood.
Anyone on 5aa radio in Adelaide.