• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Why is it seen to be bad???

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Early in the week at work we were given another talk about how we should address our co workers correctly and never call somebody sweetheart, love or darling...
Can somebody please try and explain to me in simple terms why this is frowned upon??

Are they not just words of endearment???

W

WRXXR

The whole worlds gone crazy in the workplace these days Bill.

Simple fact its deemed sexual harrasment. Some people still have common sense but others will take it the wrong way and you get your arse dragged over the coals for it.

We've spent the last 15 years wrapping ourselves and the younger generation up in cotton wool so the moment someone says something we dont like it's bullying, harrasment or whatever else. This bloke I worked with a few years ago fell off a pallet jack at speed and hurt himself. Claimed comp and got it lol.

Same nonsense as most of the OHS crap these days. Procedure this, procedure that it's all rubbish. If someone is incapable of using commonsense then tough luck when they fall off a 12ft high fence after planking.

baby

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Thanks handsome for your reply... but I still fail to see why these words can be classed as a form of sexual harassment. It`s not like I said "show me ya willy"

A

Alecia the Foxx

It's simple really. Some people don't like being called, "sweetheart," "darling," etc. Those who don't mind it, won't care. The law protects those who don't want that. The ones who don't mind it, won't be the ones making a complaint to the Human Rights Commission, so there's really not an issue, the way I see it.

W

WRXXR

Thanks handsome for your reply... but I still fail to see why these words can be classed as a form of sexual harassment. It`s not like I said "show me ya willy"

*reports this harassing post to a moderator and the human rights commission*

svengali

Foundation Member
Hmm!!

A good friend of mine who owned a similar business would, in all probability, get himself jailed if he was still working today. He always employed female staff and always addressed them, in fact all the women he met, as "love". Thing is, there was no disrespect involved, it was just his way.

I was in large organisation when political correctness first reared its unproductive head in the early 80's and it was pathetic to see management scrambling around with the issue and dreaming up all sorts of "code of conduct" rules which were only designed to cover their own butts if anything hit the fan.

In my opinion commonsense and conventional courtesy should rule. The only behaviour which should attract legal attention is when someone misuses their authority, ie the boss groping his secretary. Any minor stuff, like girlie calendars, skirts too short or telling off-colour jokes should be dealt with in-house by management or by the group as a whole voicing its disapproval.

Fudd

Foundation Member
....just a side query here.....if Billy is calling WRXXR "handsome" and WRXXR is calling Billy "sexy"......does this mean that there is some serious "bromance" going on here???? lol

Fudd :)

ps: we return back to normal programming.

W

WRXXR

No no, bill called me handsome AND sexy. Safe to assume it's a serious case of beer goggles but remember bill, your not a man until you've had a man so gimme a call sometime :D

But on a brighter note I had a middle aged female customer today call me darling, love AND sweetie! Beats what my staff call me :p

Last edited by a moderator:

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
your not a man until you've had a man so gimme a call sometime :D
Your need for speed scares me...
I like things slow and steady...

Sometimes the world would be so much better if we still lived in the past.

Who was it that told all these women to burn the bra??

T

TB

Sometimes when people call you affectionate names like sweetie, darling etc
it comes across as condescending and I just want to slap the person....It really depends on the circumstance and who is saying what and how.......Guess that is what social skills is about!

Happy2

Legend Member
I see where your coming fromTB I say "Thanks love" often
at the checkout etc No offence given and I hope none taken
Though I must admit I find it strange when a girl of 14-15
at Woolies sounds strange to my 48yr old ears

But as you say some work mates etc seem to make the ladies
skin crawl saying the exact same thing as one of his workmates
says to the same ladies