Who is going to win the big lottery this week?

Marnie

Marnie Reception VIP Perth
Gold Member
Since I was born, my parents have bought a lotto ticket each week. When I was 16 they won enough to take the family on a month long holiday to Europe, it was an amazing trip but the money wasn't life changing, like a triple figure win could be.
Since then, when I can, I've bought a ticket, I'm yet to win more than $20 (which I always use to buy another ticket) but I'm holding out for that big win!

What are peoples's thoughts on the lottery in Australia? Or worldwide?
I think it's awesome that we don't get taxed on lottery winnings here, unlike in some countries..
But, is it worth the weekly spend?

I also like buying scratchies, but have never won more than $5.....

hotevad

Gold Member
Iโ€™ve had a couple of good wins in the last few weeks which is nice as it subsidises purchases for a while. People spend money on lots of things so why not invest in your dreams and the worst case scenario is that much of your money goes to the community through Lotterywest grants (in WA at least). Good luck everyone.
13342DF8-88A3-4456-AB5D-61528BA17A7C.jpeg 3D5490A3-0710-455A-8368-F525EE8C78DE.png

Yarharfiddlydee

Gold Member
Ugh, no tax on lottery in Aus? Where's my damn ticket?!

Love the idea of the lottery, it's exciting and if you have a bit of spare coin, why not?

Anyone remember hearing about that $1.5 billion USD Powerball in the U.S. a few years ago? Yeeeaaaa. 37% of that goes to the U.S. federal government as tax, plus state tax varies. I'm from NY, so deduct another 8%. Yeah, bullshit. ๐Ÿ–•

AusGopher

Diamond Member
Lottery can be defined in different ways as well. Life is a lottery. Some people have the luck of falling into a job that has more benefits than others, yet there are others that work hard yet still struggle. Its all to do with luck.
I have been lucky on a few lotto wins, most of the time getting my money back.
I have bet on horses and dogs. One time I had 4 trifectas. I won on one of them in which helped me enjoy a rare holiday

Phoebe

Some Village lost an Idiot!
Legend Member
Ugh, no tax on lottery in Aus? Where's my damn ticket?!

Love the idea of the lottery, it's exciting and if you have a bit of spare coin, why not?

Anyone remember hearing about that $1.5 billion USD Powerball in the U.S. a few years ago? Yeeeaaaa. 37% of that goes to the U.S. federal government as tax, plus state tax varies. I'm from NY, so deduct another 8%. Yeah, bullshit. ๐Ÿ–•

37% how else do you think the US Military survives. :) 8% NY Tax hmm very blue indeed. Move to Texas less tax...

Yarharfiddlydee

Gold Member
37% how else do you think the US Military survives. :) 8% NY Tax hmm very blue indeed. Move to Texas less tax...
Yeeeee-hawwww! Rootin tootin shootin cowboys!

Us northerners think the south is absolutely bonkers. But no sales tax.. fuck yea. U.S. tax is fucked. Even though I live and earn in Aus, I still have to do a U.S. tax return every year. Only country that does citizen based tax. Maybe I won't try for the lottery here... I'd end up with $1000 after all said and done. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Phoebe

Legend Member
Yeeeee-hawwww! Rootin tootin shootin cowboys!

Us northerners think the south is absolutely bonkers. But no sales tax.. f**k yea. U.S. tax is fucked. Even though I live and earn in Aus, I still have to do a U.S. tax return every year. Only country that does citizen based tax. Maybe I won't try for the lottery here... I'd end up with $1000 after all said and done. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Be a Patriot and help your Nation! No sales tax, Bigger homes, cars, and better weather, also cheaper living. 15th April or 4th of July ? LOL you know what I mean. Texan women V New Yorkers come on...

Yarharfiddlydee

Gold Member
Be a Patriot and help your Nation! No sales tax, Bigger homes, cars, and better weather, also cheaper living. 15th April or 4th of July ? LOL you know what I mean. Texan women V New Yorkers come on...
Hahaha this so amazing. Giiirrrllll you makin' me mad nostalgic. ๐Ÿ˜ I do miss American-sized meals vs these small appetizers Aussies call "entrees" ๐Ÿ˜. Silly Aussies.

Phoebe

Legend Member
I am often baffled why people leave the USA when its basically 7 kind of weather patterns/ economies and styles of living rolled into one, why do you leave the Best Nation on Earth ? to go live elsewhere?

Yarharfiddlydee

Gold Member
I am often baffled why people leave the USA when its basically 7 kind of weather patterns/ economies and styles of living rolled into one, why do you leave the Best Nation on Earth ? to go live elsewhere?
"Best nation on Earth" is extremely subjective here.

It's easy to get caught up in the box when you're there. When you're looking in the box from the outside, it's different. In Aus, I don't have to hardly worry about healthcare and retirement, as primary examples. Quality of life is outstanding in comparison.

Idk, babe. I'm proud to be American, but just as proud to (soon) be an Australian.

And I hate the snow. Fuck snow. FUUUUCCCKKK SNOW. Lived with it my whole life and don't miss it. Very pretty, but not to be in. Love the heat. Rawrr. โ˜€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Phoebe

Legend Member
"Best nation on Earth" is extremely subjective here.

It's easy to get caught up in the box when you're there. When you're looking in the box from the outside, it's different. In Aus, I don't have to hardly worry about healthcare and retirement, as primary examples. Quality of life is outstanding in comparison.

Idk, babe. I'm proud to be American, but just as proud to (soon) be an Australian.

And I hate the snow. f**k snow. FUUUUCCCKKK SNOW. Lived with it my whole life and don't miss it. Very pretty, but not to be in. Love the heat. Rawrr. โ˜€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Awwww you make me feel all warm and fuzzy..... Medicare in oz is probably the worlds best health system, retirement in oz hmmm :) A proud American so everyday is the 4th of July for you then? LOL

Snow I told you move to Texas only snow there is on the TV.... or in the movies... :)

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I missed it last week staking my positive claim right here, should I not win I pray it will be a forum member....