• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Which secondary languages are worth studying today?

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
It all depends on what your intentions are really. Is it for commercial purposes? In the sex industry? To enrich your mind? Remember that knowing the language alone doesn't guarantee success in business in a country e.g. Korea, China or India - other aspects come into it ranging from the ability to deliver services, kickbacks and losing face. Finally there's discrimination - you may know the lingua franca but it doesn't mean necessarily that they want to do business with you.

Sophie South

Adventurous Brunette
Gold Member
Douzo yoroshiku onegai shimasu! I took Japanese in high school, simply because it was the only language on offer that uses completely different letters/characters to ours. I really hope to go over to Japan one day, but I'll need to save a lot because there are so many cool things to try over there.

I tried learning Russian on my own, and I wasn't very successful. I think I bit off way more than I could chew, but have been considering taking classes or learning from a tutor.

Candice Cruz

Diamond Member
Douzo yoroshiku onegai shimasu! I took Japanese in high school, simply because it was the only language on offer that uses completely different letters/characters to ours. I really hope to go over to Japan one day, but I'll need to save a lot because there are so many cool things to try over there.

I tried learning Russian on my own, and I wasn't very successful. I think I bit off way more than I could chew, but have been considering taking classes or learning from a tutor.

That’s amazing!

I find that music helps quite a lot for learning new languages. Music, piano in particular helped me a lot during school, especially for memory and also maths. And it’s also a fun way of learning- rather than just reading straight from a book. :headphone::bookworm:

Sophie South

Adventurous Brunette
Gold Member
That’s amazing!

I find that music helps quite a lot for learning new languages. Music, piano in particular helped me a lot during school, especially for memory and also maths. And it’s also a fun way of learning- rather than just reading straight from a book. :headphone::bookworm:

I agree so much! Not only was it a good pathway towards learning other instruments for myself personally, but I also noticed it was a great way for me to learn other things; written music made it surprisingly easy to contextualise other concepts I didn't previously understand.

chibi

Diamond Member
I suppose the good thing about Spanish is that seeing as Brazilians and the Portuguese themselves have been surrounded by Spanish-dialect speakers for centuries, the Portuguese speakers can get the gist of what you're saying. Plus, they're pretty closely related linguistically. Should be a fun holiday. :D