Dakota Cameron

Gold Member
Between 15 and 76 percent of women are targeted for physical and/or sexual violence at least once in their lifetime. World wide. Most of this violence takes place within intimate relationships, with many women (ranging from 9 to 70 percent) reporting their husbands or partners as the perpetrator. Across the 28 States of the European Union, a little over one in five women has experienced physical and/or sexual violence from a partner (European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights, 2014).

In Guatemala, two women are murdered, on average, each day.
  • In India, 8,093 cases of dowry-related death were reported in 2007; an unknown number of murders of women and young girls were falsely labeled ‘suicides’ or ‘accidents’.
  • In Australia, Canada, Israel, South Africa and the United States, between 40 and 70 percent of female murder victims were killed by their intimate partners.
  • In the State of Chihuahua, Mexico, 66 percent of murders of women were committed by husbands, boyfriends or other family members.

Violence and Young Women
  • Worldwide, up to 50 percent of sexual assaults are committed against girls under 16.
  • An estimated 150 million girls under the age of 18 suffered some form of sexual violence in 2002 alone.
  • The first sexual experience of some 30 percent of women was forced. The percentage is even higher among those who were under 15 at the time of their sexual initiation, with up to 45 percent reporting that the experience was forced.
Please buy a white ribbon this year any time leading up to the 25th of November. Wearing this ribbon is a pledge to never comit, remain silent or stand for Violence against women (and men!)

If you know a victim of violence
help break their silence!

Dallas

Legend Member
Between 15 and 76 percent of women are targeted for physical and/or sexual violence at least once in their lifetime. World wide. Most of this violence takes place within intimate relationships, with many women (ranging from 9 to 70 percent) reporting their husbands or partners as the perpetrator. Across the 28 States of the European Union, a little over one in five women has experienced physical and/or sexual violence from a partner (European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights, 2014).

• In India, 8,093 cases of dowry-related death were reported in 2007; an unknown number of murders of women and young girls were falsely labeled ‘suicides’ or ‘accidents’.
  • In Australia, Canada, Israel, South Africa and the United States, between 40 and 70 percent of female murder victims were killed by their intimate partners.
  • In the State of Chihuahua, Mexico, 66 percent of murders of women were committed by husbands, boyfriends or other family members.
Violence and Young Women
  • Worldwide, up to 50 percent of sexual assaults are committed against girls under 16.
  • An estimated 150 million girls under the age of 18 suffered some form of sexual violence in 2002 alone.
  • The first sexual experience of some 30 percent of women was forced. The percentage is even higher among those who were under 15 at the time of their sexual initiation, with up to 45 percent reporting that the experience was forced.
Please buy a white ribbon this year any time leading up to the 25th of November. Wearing this ribbon is a pledge to never comit, remain silent or stand for Violence against women (and men!)

It's great you posted this as it brings attention to something so heinous. I actually believe the statistics are much higher as so many assaults go unreported. It's only been through talking to women online anonymously that the actual figures seem truly staggering.

I also encourage businesses that I interact with to sell white ribbons leading up to the 25th of November.

B

Bee

I have worked extensively with victims of domestic violence . It is an insidious and disgusting evil element in populations around the world ...so many victims have no voice and don't have protection from the law in some countries. I think awareness and more awareness is a good strategy . Also supporting and encouraging as much as we can to help ALL victims so they can find safety and help ...

L

lola

Violence and Young Women

Great topic to shine some light on chick

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
Great post Dekota........the list is endless.........and horrid.......jus thinking about the fact that women are still burned alive as witches in PNG........................

Anything can happen in PNG, uncivilized tribes still living without electricity. If the govt care to pull power lines and internet to these communities, things may change.

Happy2

Legend Member
And maybe not Homer My second eldest has volunteered in PNG a few times now Even Port Moresby with its power and internet has not made it a safe place to be

He said the compound they lived in was locked up every evening for their safety

Then they would be transported to the "Uncivilised" parts of the country where he was helping connect houses to septic tanks or some such as he is a plumber

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
I don't think so. The footage they showed on the TV report didn't give the impression of an uncivilized tribe. But regardless of power lines or not "dark ages" can still loom in brains even when people are sitting in front of high tec equipment.

markeys

Foundation Member
The thing that shits me to tears about domestic violence is that is is generally portrayed as men being violent to women.

This is one sided bullshit!.

Domestic violence especially unreported domestic violence is just as prevalent with women being violent to men, and then there's the whole lesbian/gay domestic violence.

If women want to be recognized as equals they also need to take responsibility for their violence within relationships.

Happy2

Legend Member
The thing that shits me to tears about domestic violence is that is is generally portrayed as men being violent to women.

Domestic violence especially unreported domestic violence is just as prevalent with women being violent to men, and then there's the whole lesbian/gay domestic violence.

If women want to be recognized as equals they also need to take responsibility for their violence within relationships.

I surprised my self by agreeing with this to a point

I was only thinking of attitudes to violence recently in say a light hearted show
If a lady takes umbrage to what a man has said. Even if she has got it arse about And she slaps him, viewers laugh

If a weed of a man is being belittled by a woman or hit by a woman and he slapped her back The Media would go up in Mock outrage

Violence must stop in all its aspects as you said markeys Men against women Women against men and all other variations

ozwarlock67

Legend Member

Quite right. I've had a carving knife held at my throat, my clothing ripped and my nose just about twisted off. Small beer in comparison to some cases and from a woman 23 years my senior who is now dead, but distressing nonetheless.

Holford

Gold Member
I think in order to make real changes in attitudes to domestic violence we need to change our attitude to social norms that overshadow all the hard work people are doing to help victims. Many areas in music with HO references, religion, TV with vengeance and manipulation at its core, sports like ufc, and gang life acceptance are at the heart of making change difficult and what we need to change as normal social acceptance so we can get rid of this scourge of violence to all, way to many victims.

bushseeker

Foundation Member
we had a young girl at work early 20s who regulary had the living crap beaten out of her by her girlfriend. im talking being rushed to hospital for ct scans after having her head repeatadly slammed into the tiles. arms in slings. black eyes....

Nomansland

Gold Member
Our society condones violence and reinforces the message in the media.
It's OK to show fights etc in movies or tv. No one bats an eyelid but show nudity or sex and there is a storm of protest especially if adolescents see it.

Dallas

Legend Member
Our society condones violence and reinforces the message in the media.
It's OK to show fights etc in movies or tv. No one bats an eyelid but show nudity or sex and there is a storm of protest especially if adolescents see it.

This is so true!!! When I was a teenager I was allowed to see any kind of violence on tv, some that really was upsetting, but the first sign of a female naked body and it was off to my room, apparently male ones were ok though... like wth were they thinking? :rolleyes:

Happy2

Legend Member
We now see television etc cater to the more base instincts

Remember seeing a wildlife documentary It was a mixture of the beautiful the informative and the ugly But it was basically a family based entertainment show

Now they revel in showing a pack of hyenas hunting and disemboweling a Giraffe or similar and make you hear every scream and howl
Why ? Because they need "New and exciting" to keep the new 20 sec attention span people in front of the box My opinion only of course
I don't mean to clump a whole generation into one group
Some have an attention span of 30 seconds or more

Morgan Sapphire

Diamond Member
Those statistics are just horrific Dakota. And I also think that they have been that way for a long time. It's only coming to light now because it is not a taboo subject anymore. I know this because I had first hand experiences of sexual assault and domestic violence growing up and I'm also finding out that this happened to several of my friends as well. At that time it just wasn't spoken about .

Jaylily

Gold Member

Violence and Young Women

Great post Dakota, those statistics are terrible. And I hope that anyone who has experienced sexual assault or domestic violence speaks out. So white ribbon it is.

As a bloke it takes one big sook to use domestic violence on a woman or a child.

Nomansland

Gold Member
Question is why is it so prevalent?
The statistics need to be more detailed to help gain a better understanding of the causes.

Dakota Cameron

Gold Member
Any type of violence should never be accepted - it is not a way to solve problems - only makes them progress. There are many different reasons as to why this constantly happens.

Jaylily

Gold Member
Any type of violence should never be accepted - it is not a way to solve problems - only makes them progress. There are many different reasons as to why this constantly happens.

I think alcohol and drugs would be the two main factors from what I know about domestic violence.

janny-ammerson

Gold Member

Violence and Young Women

very well!