• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

The time has come to ban marijuana!

B

BigBlackCock

Objection over ruled. The witness does profess to have some views and experience of drug use and is a victim as well as a witness. The origins of the perpetrator's initial drug use doesn't indicate guilt nor innocence. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WRXXXR

Lol very clever. God help me if and when my situation goes to court. "sir you can't say that in a courtroom"..

But i tell you what, if you want a super quick response from the police inform them that your angry, willing and capable of fixing the problem if they are too busy to come. Moment I hang up theres police at the door :D

B

BigBlackCock

YOu can say anything you like in a courtroom - including asking the judge out on a date. Whether the court accepts the comment or allows you to continue? Well, that's a whole other issue.

Then again you can resort to the tried and trusted thoughts of Carmen Lawrence or Alan Bond; "I cannot recall".

A

Alecia the Foxx

I have to say, that I once had a boyfriend who used to get violent on marijuana. I also knew a girl who said the same about her boyfriend, who she had been with for years. So, although it is not common, it can happen.

svengali

Foundation Member
Wow, Happytimes, we must get together some time - it would be a long night.

You raise a lot of valid points but to deal with the main one:

What part of "Marijuana is illegal" is so hard to understand?

The substance is illegal Possession is forbidden under the law which every citizen is obliged to obey and uphold. Therefore if one chooses to flout the law one must be prepared to accept the prescribed penalty. The offer of rehab as an alternative to jail is good because it means that those who opt for it and see it through may just be turned back onto the straight and narrow.

If alcohol were made illegal the same would apply, at least until the Government was chucked out which, probably, would not take too long :)

Finally, to the matter of a "harmless stoner lighting up to relax at home"

Sorry, but he is not harmless at all. The money paid for his (or her) hit supports criminals of the lowest kind. I am talking about organised crime gangs like the Bikies and various syndicates who grow, transport and import the stuff - not only "Mary-Jane" but all manner of other far more harmful substances. People who would maim and kill to protect their "patch" from competitors and who don't care how many lives they screw up with their activities. These criminal enterprises thrive because of idiots with no respect for the law who can't see the harm in what they are doing.

A

Alecia the Foxx

Svengali -
The stoners who I know, all grow their own, or buy off friends who grow their own. They definitely do not buy off people who have "man cages" in their patches, and do not hurt anyone who steals from them. The patches are on their own land anyway, so they can make sure that security is beefed up, but only in terms of fencing and wire cages to keep the opossums away. Maybe it is different in Ozzie ...

On the same but different topic - they banned all synthetic canabinnoids here yesterday ...

W

WRXXXR

Well boys and girls, 2 aboriginal meth junkies will be off the streets in a matter of hours.

Attempting to stab me in side of my face during an armed robbery probably isn't the smartest thing to do :)

W

WRXXXR

Ohh BBC, stop being so sensitive... Others may not agree in writing but I dare say the majority of people (black, white, asians etc) agree with my view that they are the ones who do commit a lot of crimes like this.

Ice bugs on someones face is usually a good indicator of junkiness ;)

B

BigBlackCock

Err, WR, it appears you're being sensitive not me judging by your reaction. I'm asking you what the relevance of their being Aboriginal is. To me, whether they were Aboriginal or not has nothing to do with it really. It's a bit like saying a white man bashed a parent at a kids footy game - it has no relevance or that a white guy called Martin Bryant shot a whole lot of victims as a tourist site.

Secondly, if you do your research you'll find that "a lot" of crimes like this in Australia aren't done by aboriginals but mostly caucasians. I don't think Aboriginals form even a tenth of the population or drug-related muggings.

YOu did say in an earlier post that with police involvement, the case will go nowhere. Is an arrest or court appearance likely now and didn't the police do the right thing by you then in the end?

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WRXXXR

YOu did say in an earlier post that with police involvement, the case will go nowhere. Is an arrest or court appearance likely now and didn't the police do the right thing by you then in the end?

I won't talk about aboriginals because maybe I just don't like them but yes, I didn't think it'd go anywhere and it appears it has!

I made it much easier for the police with gps tracking on 2 of the items they pinched but regardless arrests have been made with court today.

B

BigBlackCock

Ooh! That's interesting. Is that on an Apple i-phone? I do know that in the US that cars can be fitted these days with GPS tracking devices as an anti-theft?

Off the thread really but have those devices come to Australia? It'd be great if they were small and cheap and can be attached to any possible item of theft particularly in a household e.g. TVs etc.

W

WRXXXR

iPhones / ipads / android phone were stolen amongst other stuff (prescription drugs containing pseudoephadrin, bit of money) but yeh some of the apple products had tracking on them. Problem is once the are turned off the signal dies but if it ever gets turned back on, you get sent an email.

I'd imagine by iPhone 6 or 7 it'll have a separate battery but i believe you can just disable the phone via puk code so it's unusable. I guess that's the best way to protect emails, photos, phone banking etc.

Gps tracking in cars is gaining momentum here. Perth street cars advertise a system for around 300 that relies on a sim card hidden in the car and u can actually disable the car as well. I'm looking into that now.

Over east if you can have monitored gps tracking but unless you have something rare or 200k+ I don't think it's worth it as the monitoring can be pricey.

Mind you, in this case (and others) I don't want my stuff recovered (that's what insurance is for) but all this technology certainly makes a difference.

C

Contrarian

Sadly, along with technology, drug abuse is one of the many things that is encouraging nations to dumb down. You can use technology or drugs and it can also use you. Therein lies the rub.

A

Alecia the Foxx

Sadly, along with technology, drug abuse is one of the many things that is encouraging nations to dumb down. You can use technology or drugs and it can also use you. Therein lies the rub.

LOLOLOL ... If marijuana "dumbed people down" the governments would be sticking THC in the water supply. Quite the opposite, in my view.

S

Sandi Lang

Who we should be banning is big PHARMA and all the harmful drugs they produce with so many side affects that kill many world wide .
I say live and let live...

C

Contrarian

The problem usually is that many children now come from unstable family backgrounds. The divorce rate in Australia is high and yet with Perth's small population, the divorce rate is higher than Australia as a whole - there are people I know who come from 3 generations of divorce. I'm not blaiming it for EVERYTHING but raising kids is a tough ask as it is. Add to that, many parents confuse education with schooling. Sure SOME "correct" community attitudes may be learnt at school but not ALL of them and secondly, those values need to be reinforced at home by positive role models.

A

Alecia the Foxx

You are coming from an assumption that all divorced parents create disfunctional families, and that all families who don't experience divorce are funtional. I would rather come from a healthy family where there has been a divorce, than from a disfuctional family where the family values are that they must "stay together, no matter what." Divorce is healthy, in many situations.

C

Contrarian

I agree with you Alecia that families that stay together aren't necessarily functional. But alot of dysfunctional kids without the accepted "community standards" Casper talks off come from broken/unstable domestic backgrounds.

svengali

Foundation Member
"Broken" homes are definitely part of the problem but, to my mind, an even bigger problem is a tacit acceptance by the community of bad manners and arrogance from young people.

When I was going to school (a couple of years ago now) in a country town it was understood by all of us young folks that elders were to be respected, no matter what their occupation, and always addressed as Mr, Mrs etc. Failure to do so would result in a rebuke or, if in a shop, a stony faced stare and no service until the request was properly phrased.

There is an old saying that "it takes a village to raise a child" and that is true. The trouble these days is that the "village" is dropping the ball and putting up with too much crap from kids who grow up without enough guidance on the vital matter of manners.

Happy2

Legend Member
The village may dropped the ball but worse still The village law firm has told that child he has "Rights" and they have shown them how to use them to advantage

A

Alecia the Foxx

I was brought up to respect my elders, but there are some older people I don't respect and never will. I think blind respect to anyone whether elderly or not is dangerous.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
The village is a good point. 5years ago I went to live in New York for 4 months and found more of a village atmosphere in this huge city in 4 months than I had in Perth for 25 years.
when i got home I made more of a point to say hello to my shop keepers and neighbors and established a better rapport than I had in 20 years.

T

that guy28

Its always easy to blame drugs, blame divorce, blame society. At the end of the day people are are who they are and choose who they want to be.

I'm a child of divorce and enjoy a bit of the Acapulco gold from time to time, and I'm doin pretty well for a 22 yr old.

If weed wasn't around, they'd just skip to the next one up, (acid maybe? who knows)
I've tried most things, decided it wasn't for me and continued on. It's not like anyones heard of a happy ending from meth, everyones aware of whats going on, if they choose to continue then that is their decision, not divorce putting a pipe in their mouth, not weed giving them an uncontrollable need to get something harder.

Any local sports pub you'll find at least 3 or 4 old fellas who have supped the bud their whole lives, hardly a good example of upstanding citizens, but not violent or on meth. Generally alright.

People are who they are, and make their own choices.

Back to the base issue, I don't believe weed should be legal, despite being an enthusiast, as the government would need a way to tax it. Most likely mixing it with all sorts of chemicals. It is far more illegal to grow your own tobacco than it is marijuana. The government makes a killing on tobacco, but have to keep ravijng on about how bad it is, just so they can up the taxes. They say its got 100's of chemical that are doing you damage, but should you try it without the chemicals you look at a $10 000 fine.

The real kicker is the healing effects. Many people have cured their own skin cancers and various things with hash oil. Incredible healing properties.

@Svengali, you have some strong opinions, but have you tried it?

People make their own decisions, those who make bad ones would do it with or without weed. Like cigarettes, alcohol or hamburgers, it needs to moderated. Just maybe not by Loneroad, he'd cut out everything but the hamburgers i imagine.

Scratch that, he's vegetarian.

C

Contrarian

Drug youth face early ageing

Cathy O'Leary Medical Editor, The West Australian Updated September 1, 2012, 2:40 am

Drug youth face early ageing

Young people who are heavy users of cannabis, amphetamines and alcohol risk having the ageing brains of 80-year-olds, increasing their risk of stroke and dementia, according to experts.

Researchers say there is growing evidence of brain damage, including premature ageing, memory problems and reduced intellect.

A New Zealand study this week pointed to reduced IQ in long-term cannabis users and a recent University of WA study suggests heavy drinking affects memory, not just of recent events but prospective or "future memory".

Royal Perth Hospital and UWA professor of emergency medicine Daniel Fatovich said brain scans of Perth amphetamine users, mostly aged in their 20s, had shown one in five had a lesion.

"Brain lesions are a part of normal ageing so if you're in your 80s, more than 90 per cent of people have the lesions, if you're in your 60s about 20 per cent of people have them, and if you're about 30 only 0.5 per cent will have them," he said.

"But in our study it was 17 per cent, which is obviously much higher than you would expect in that young age group.

"You see photos of people who've aged terribly after using amphetamines for a few years but we're forming the view that not only is it ageing you on the outside, it's ageing you on the inside."

Professor Fatovich said amphetamines appeared to affect the generation of new brain cells, either by stopping or impairing growth.

The brain's hippocampus, responsible for memory, was shown in studies to be smaller in amphetamine users. Heavy alcohol use appeared to have the same effect.

Alcohol and cannabis also impaired "pruning" which occurred in adolescence as millions of the brain's pathways were pared down to make it more efficient.

"It's an evolving issue but the analogy I give is that most people have an elderly grandparent and they're living and walking and talking, but for many of them they're not quite as sharp as they used to be," Professor Fatovich said.

"But maybe for people using these substances you're pushing that forward to a much younger age."

Professor Steve Allsop, of the National Drug Research Institute, said brain research was in its early stages but it suggested drug use had potential long-term effects.

"It impairs your performance now and the evidence is telling us there may be brain changes which affect you for life," he said.

Some effects were subtle - "like getting a C+ instead of a B+".