• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Sunbed Health Risk - to be banned

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
Apparently I am putting myself at risk of cancer every time I use the sunbed - which I CHOSE to use twice weekly to get brown. I am unable to make this decision myself it seems so by late 2016 they will be prohibited due to associated health risks.
Funny though, despite there being NUMEROUS documented health risks associated with SMOKING I dont notice that cigarettes are banned for our own good hmm?
Some fact or are they??
"In 2010, there were 2,203 deaths due to melanoma in the UK. The researchers estimate that 100 deaths a year from melanoma in the UK are a direct result of sunbed use." article on web

" There is a tobacco-related death about every 28 minutes in Australia, adding up to more than 50 deaths each day. In 1998, 19,019 deaths were caused by tobacco use. " Bureau of statistics

so my question is why cant I CHOSE to use a sunbed, when clearly the risks are greater if I smoked - yet smokers can do as they damn well want hmm!!!!!

Dallas

Legend Member
Apparently I am putting myself at risk of cancer every time I use the sunbed - which I CHOSE to use twice weekly to get brown. I am unable to make this decision myself it seems so by late 2016 they will be prohibited due to associated health risks.
Funny though, despite there being NUMEROUS documented health risks associated with SMOKING I dont notice that cigarettes are banned for our own good hmm?
Some fact or are they??
"In 2010, there were 2,203 deaths due to melanoma in the UK. The researchers estimate that 100 deaths a year from melanoma in the UK are a direct result of sunbed use." article on web

" There is a tobacco-related death about every 28 minutes in Australia, adding up to more than 50 deaths each day. In 1998, 19,019 deaths were caused by tobacco use. " Bureau of statistics

so my question is why cant I CHOSE to use a sunbed, when clearly the risks are greater if I smoked - yet smokers can do as they damn well want hmm!!!!!

You are right, they don't ban smoking because of the huge amounts of tax revenue, plus they also don't want it to become a black market product. Now if sunbeds were taxed heavily then they'd just put those pictures inside them like they do with cigarette packets!

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
And you ride to the solarium on your bike while not wearing your leathers For Now!
As well we know, everything we do is 'for now' !! You know what they say, eat drink and be merry 'cause tomorrow we may diet - oh no sorry - it's die - my bad!!
For the record apparently if I eat my toast burnt - which I chose to do - its carcinogenic.
Do you know that stats for dying in a plane ? A car accident?
In fact I probably have more risk of being cleaned up by a bus one day running from a marauding spider on a death mission!!
Such is life! I chose to live it my way and enjoy it as I travel the short and brief path before I meet the turf eternally lol

Nateeee

Gold Member
Yes it's your choice to partake in activities that can cause cancer, but why should I have to support the potential cost of your decision?

In saying that I have lost family members to cancer and watching them die slowly and painfully was shitty. I know what I would choose if one of my lifestyle habits was shown to greatly increase the change of cancer.

I know for a fact if you are unfortunate enough to get a stage 3/4 melanoma you won't be thinking "well my life could be over, but damn at least I had a good tan".

Dying from cancer is f*****g terrible. Do your best to avoid it. It affects you and every person who loves you far more than you realise until your in the situation.

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
Yes it's your choice to partake in activities that can cause cancer, but why should I have to support the potential cost of your decision?

In saying that I have lost family members to cancer and watching them die slowly and painfully was shitty. I know what I would choose if one of my lifestyle habits was shown to greatly increase the change of cancer.

I know for a fact if you are unfortunate enough to get a stage 3/4 melanoma you won't be thinking "well my life could be over, but damn at least I had a good tan".

Dying from cancer is f*****g terrible. Do your best to avoid it. It affects you and every person who loves you far more than you realise until your in the situation.
Nateeee you're missing the point!! I have lost a partner to cancer - slow painful 18 months to pass away ( oh and funded by tax payers too!!) and caused by SMOKING!! So the reason for the thread is why arent we banning smoking when the death related cancers and illnesses are substantially higher??? Many things cause cancer and death, smoking is one of the highest!! Dont take my word - go to the ABS!
Thats my question - why is smoking ok and not sunbeds - for the record I am a non smoker!!

Nateeee

Gold Member
I am sorry to hear that you have had a partner pass from cancer Amanda :(

I am glad you don't smoke! But you should really stop the sunbeds ;)

I should have stated I completely agree with the smoking sentiment. Smoking should be banned and we all know why it won't be. Our governments decisions are hamstrung by money and politics. I would be interested to see the stats on cost of healthcare due to smoking vs the income on tax the gov takes.