Rah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spunkymunky

Very frustrated at the moment. Fed up with the job, fed up with the people, fed up with the town and fed up with everything!!
We weren't allowed 1 min silence for remembrance day
I got a complaint made about me today for something that i said jokingly 4mths ago to a class.....which is not at all bad!
My programs are apparently "below standard" which noone mentioned until today
My kids arent allowed to watch a movie in class even though it is relevant to their learning
Parents want me to miraculously cure the children of all laziness and disinterest
I have to lose 80mins of my already reduced free periods a week because the campus co-ordinator (who is an idiot) says so.

When i try and say i think something is wrong/stupid/unfair or that i wasnt told about it.....i get told my opinion doesnt count because i am first year teacher and a young female one at that!!

Considering resigning. Would have done it all ready if it wasn't for the money. Damn money.

svengali

Foundation Member
Oh Spunky, you are wasting your time and talents on these people. They can screw up their kid's lives without your help and there must be plenty of other oportunities out there for teachers. Sometimes you just have to have enough faith in yourself to tell an employer to go to hell and strike out in a new direction.

S

Spunkymunky

That's what i am thinking....i have been so stressed, not sleeping etc and i get really lonely out here. Even if i go back to Perth and take a pay cut the mental and emotional relief would be worth it.

princesssuzie

Foundation Member
You sound like you've got your back against a wall. I would rather be happier in my job with a lower rate of pay than put up with the apparent bulls..t that you're going through. Teachers have enough to put up with nowadays trying to teach children that don't even want to be in class without parental intrusion.

Spunky, I think it's time for a change girl and you need to return to the city where you'll be appreciated hopefully...lol

Smoggy

Foundation Member
I don't think that you should resign - not yet anyway. You need to look at the bigger picture. What are you looking to achieve in the next few years? Can this job help you achieve your long term goals? From what I remember you are working in an isolated area with groups of people with whom you would not normally associate with. If that is the case it is going to be very difficult for you to give them what they want and they are going to complain on a regular basis. For the kids you may well be the only "normal" person they meet so you can be a massive influence upon them.
Co-ordinators are always good at dictating to others to justify their own jobs. They always strive to get recognition based upon the efforts of others. Just remember that the reason they are co-ordinators is that they can't do it themselves.
If you can stick it out until Christmas. Get yourself back down to Perth, have a break and just enjoy yourself. Remove all those frustrations then review your situation with a cool head.

H

himanher01

Sounds like you need to get out, I always think that if it's a struggle to get out of bed in the morning to go to work your at stage 1, hate getting out of bed to go and having a good idea what is wrong your at stage 2, stage 3 is it for me, every avenue has been explored, nothing will change so I set a short term goal (financial, experience, ect.) set a date and finish.
Everyone seems to have given goo advise, just do what feels rigt for you, your in a hard job dealing with parents and their precious little dears, then you have the people justifying their positions with wonderful ideas that you have to try and deliver.
I think most of the proffesional levels are like this and it's not gunna change much, to many people with pieces of paper saying they can do this and that without the ability to do.
It's hard everywhere and at junior level its even harder, no matter the field.
My personal view is the 1 2 3, be realistic in short term goals,
eat shit if you have to to acheive the goals, then move on.
Your personal health is far more important and it will deteriorate if you keep at it.
We both wish you well.

S

stormline

hey spunkymunky time to let your hair down and take a break,its probably not that easy but sometimes you just got to do what you know you need.not that i know you but i have read plenty of your threads you sound like a real fun girl so maybe its time you spent that time on yourself...

S

Spunkymunky

Well having calmed down a little from earlier in the week i have agreed to another 6mths. I have six weeks off over Christmas (i am planning to work part time but it will be easy work like filing, answering phones) and am just gonna chill out and catch up with friends. Lots of beach time as i will be in Perth!

Then next year i am going to focus on being more positive, not letting the total wanker parents i deal with everyday get me down and on not getting so stressed! I tend to dwell on things and then they get all worked up and BLAMMO emotionally exploding spunky.

:)

M

Mary Anne PA

*hugs*

Im going through similar things at work (another dept lost stuff, and that was MY fault etc) and cant wait for the 50 days I have left to be over. Ultimately its about your happiness. No money is worth staying in a job you truely hate.

S

Spunkymunky

Thanks Celeste :)

I don't hate the job, i actually love teaching these kids and i love the work. It's the parents and the admin that just wear me down.

K

kevin

Ya know I think society relies on the government a little too much sometimes. You shouldn't be getting blamed for their kids being lazy. Sure you're a teacher and role model for these kids but at the end of the day the onus is on the parent because they should be teaching their own kids how to get on in life.

S

Spunkymunky

Thanks Kevin :) to be fair these kids are a little unusual....very closed society. The teachers at the school are pretty much their only interaction with the outside world so the parents are very controlling.

It's difficult to get used to....i've been here almost a year now and i still find it very upsetting to constantly have my professional standards questioned every day. I might be young but i am a very, very good teacher and i have a degree, references and prac results to show it. Which means bugger all to this lot cos i have a tattoo, unusual family background and i am 23 and single therefore i am evil!

M

Mary Anne PA

Thanks Kevin :) to be fair these kids are a little unusual....very closed society. The teachers at the school are pretty much their only interaction with the outside world so the parents are very controlling.

It's difficult to get used to....i've been here almost a year now and i still find it very upsetting to constantly have my professional standards questioned every day. I might be young but i am a very, very good teacher and i have a degree, references and prac results to show it. Which means bugger all to this lot cos i have a tattoo, unusual family background and i am 23 and single therefore i am evil!

23 and STILL unmarried? Good lord!

S

Spunkymunky

I am going to work part time over most of the holidays to try and get some money for extra stuff....like getting my stupid car fixed. Even if i work full time, it's still a holiday cos it will be brain dead work where i dont have to think about every single thing i say and do, plan lessons and explain stuff all the time.

Ahhh i miss having a "no thinking" job.

K

kevin

Whats wrong with your car? What make and model is it?

I can't deal with no thinking jobs. I end up not caring and then not turning up to work... I'm planning on moving to Sydney to work... It looks like they need security installers/electricians. It's time for a change and a new chapter in my life.

S

Spunkymunky

I needed a change which was how i ended up out here :) its a 2003 Hyundia Getz (not under warranty) and it is a stupid ass piece of crap that i hae had nothing but problems with! Grrrrrrr.

It has a starting problem, oil leaks and the list goes on. would help if i could find a competent mechanic to look at it.

K

kevin

Well I'm not a mechanic but I've done mechanic work in the past. I did 9 months of an apprenticeship and decided it wasn't for me. I thought it would be cool cars but all I got to do was service commodores and camrys haha. Then when I got home I didn't even want to look at my car which says something because I consider myself a little bit of a gear head.

In my experience oil leaks is bad news. Starting problems could be a whole heap of crap like battery, alternator, ignition leads, spark plugs blah blah. These are common easy fixes. I would suggest selling your car because it sounds like you've got a lemon. Korean cars aren't exactly known for their reliability and having a small capacity engine doesn't help if you're driving from Perth to Woop Woop.

I drive a crappy Toyota. Its 18 years old but it still runs well. I have a lot of first car love for it haha. Its like no matter how hard I try to get rid of it I just can't.... saving up for a new Hilux.

S

Spunkymunky

Can't sell it till i have paid off the loan....so a few more years to go :( i miss my big old ford i used to drive.....i loved that thing!

M

Mary Anne PA

You could come and work with me at this mining exploration company. about as braindead work as you can get, plus its HARD so you get fit with all the lifting etc. 46 days to go!

M

Mary Anne PA

In Balcatta. So you can live in Perth :) Ive done 23 hours of overtime this week, so my fortnight pay will clear $2k.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Hello Spunky...are you over the blues. Country Teaching can be hell, but think of all you have learnt that will stand you in steed for your later life.
Come and visit me in the holidays, if you don't have work, I'll have heaps and teach you how to make a great part time income wherever you go next year. All you need is a great friendly phone voice and good computer skills.
Reading between the lines...you still love teaching so look at a move to the city for a while, go on casual. My second son did that the year his daughter was born and he was kept very busy for the three days a week he would work. (He's a secondary teacher)

Status
Not open for further replies.