• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Personal training

W

wingman

I completed my first Marathon in nearly twenty years today, was LAST in! but that wasn't what it was about. I was just happy to finish, my legs now feel like jelly though. Feeling totally exhausted but proud of myself , STILL TRYING for my 'David Beckham' style body, hope to get there.

Finishing a marathon is quite an achievement in itself, well done!

However, I'm going to put my personal training hat on for a second and say that david beckham, nor anyone else good looking for that matter didn't get their body composition from marathons.

Here's some homework for you / everyone. Go to Google Images and search for 100m sprinters then marathon runners or some other terms like that (come up with your own). Then tell me which one you would rather look like.

W

WRXXXR

Did I not read somewhere else that you lost lots of weight as well (50kg or something???) stephmac?

To finish a marathon is no mean feat.

Hawaiian iron man next year :p

Happy2

Legend Member
As you say wingman when your body is breaking down consuming itself just to give enough energy just to keep going It is not going to give you the phisique of a Usain Bolt or a footballer

Demon

Legend Member
Admire your dedication to train for and complete a marathon, but:

Marathon running is bad for you. Source - athletics coach at a university I went to.

Reasons:
1. The body start to break down after about 30kms (Marathon is 42 kms)
2. Roads are not made for running - camber and hard surface.

This guy was a US Olympic track coach with world record holders. Would not train anyone for road running or anything longer than 10kms - for health reasons.

W

wingman

There's nothing wrong with road running, just majority of people use wrong technique. They heel strike and / or stride out in front and wonder why they get sore shins or ankles.

As a trainer, I'd much rather someone do say 4 200m sprints with a short rest inbetween than a 800m jog. Don't even get me started on the multi mile stuff.

W

WRXXXR

If you go through his posts, you'd quickly realise just what he's achieved by completing a 21km run!!

Happy2

Legend Member
It does sound as STEPHMAC he is a reborn man if as you say he has trimmed down by 50kg
That in itself is a great achievement

W

wingman

Wingman what would you have called old Cliff Young's technique?

Do you mean his running technique or training technique? I think you'd have to be a retard to want to put your body through the kind of things he did - vegetarian, multiday running, etc. I've not seen footage of his running technique, though.

W

WRXXXR

I hope I'm not talking out of school here (stephmac, I'll delete this if you want) but H2 I was way wrong..

In another thread he talks about the weight he's lost. Over 100kgs!

Wingman you might not agree with some of his ideas but the fact that he turned his life around in such a major way is something that no one can argue with??

Happy2

Legend Member
Do you mean his running technique or training technique? I think you'd have to be a retard to want to put your body through the kind of things he did - vegetarian, multiday running, etc. I've not seen footage of his running technique, though.

It was nothing but a shuffle Hardly got his feet off the ground
Madness? Absolutely

Demon

Legend Member
There's nothing wrong with road running, just majority of people use wrong technique. They heel strike and / or stride out in front and wonder why they get sore shins or ankles.

As a trainer, I'd much rather someone do say 4 200m sprints with a short rest inbetween than a 800m jog. Don't even get me started on the multi mile stuff.

Oh yes there is. Roads are not made for human running. The camber is major problem, and the tarmac is not made for humans. Run on track or grass or sand, or cross country, but not roads.

Most jogging is not running as it is an up and down motion. Proper running is propelling oneself forward.

Our track club had world class runners from 100m to 10 km, including world record holders and Olympic medalists.

S

sexnut

Maybe we can organise a group workout session? Motivate each other and become buff bods:eek:ccasion14

S

STEPHMAC

You do seem a little harsh Wingman, but to be honest with you I can understand where your coming from. I started very slowly a little over 3 years ago with very light exercise,treadmill,bike,weights/gym,walking etc. Building up slowly week by week.As for a Vegan/Vegetarian diet if you do it correctly. eat enough grains, pulses, soy products you shouldn't have major problems and to be honest with you it was suggested to me by my G.P, who is also Vegan. As for my running action,I run at a medium pace and always try to be aware of my action, back posture and foot placement throughout.I understand your a trainer and more informed than me, but I have had people helping me along the way, so for me it has been very positive.

Happy2

Legend Member
STEPHMAC I guess all your marathon training is done on grass etc to minimise stress on the body.
Leaving the road running to the actual event?

Buzz

Foundation Member
depending on the type of exercise, you can get and maintain a level of fitness with a 12 minute work out daily. High intensity.
theres better things to do than running marathons

Happy2

Legend Member
Work is my exercise now sport has gone by the wayside
I would not even Contemplate running Of any sort voluntarily nowadays

P

Perth boy

As most have posted exercise is great for all types of things.

Motivation to do exercise I find hard.

I have a personal trainer that come to my house a few times a week that way I don’t chicken out. Been doing this for years. Run or bike my ride the other days.

I find mountain biking a good work out. Riding through the bush for 2 to 4 hours is hard work.

Demon

Legend Member
As most have posted exercise is great for all types of things.

Motivation to do exercise I find hard.

I have a personal trainer that come to my house a few times a week that way I don’t chicken out. Been doing this for years. Run or bike my ride the other days.

I find mountain biking a good work out. Riding through the bush for 2 to 4 hours is hard work.

That is dedication, and a way to ensure it happens.