• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Paying for extra services...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
How many of us would be willing to pay extra? I saw an interesting report on TV during the week. MYERS says that even now that they can trade on Sundays it may not be financially viable because they have to pay the workers penalty rates.
Someone suggested that they either abolish the penalty rates or add a surcharge to any sale made on a Sunday.
I know some fast food places charge a public holiday surcharge but is it fair?
Should a shop assistant miss out on being paid penalty rates for working on a Sunday? After all, plumbers, electricians etc still charge an after hours fee...

Sensual ~ Vanessa

Gold Member
Everyone needs a weekend and for years its been standardly been on weekends.
It still stands in many ways, just depends which day/s they make that call...tricky one, interesting progression

Many private sex workers charge after hours prices cause really, it still is outside "convenient hours" in the sense
that there is still a need for family/leisure time.
Where that time lands is definately an interesting factor ?

Happy2

Legend Member
Who knows Billy soon there may be people so appreciative of the chance to work 40 hours that they will work whenever and where ever the bosses ask Especially if the mining sector slows and unskilled workers can no longer say I wont work for award because I can get X amount up in the mines
Wasn't that the excuse given for beer being so dear in Perth? Because we know it would not have anything to do with the bar owner gouging us Dont we

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
i wish we didnt have to pay extra for extra services when we visit a W/L.why cant it be an all inclusive fee

C

Claudia Michaels

I think a good solution to the penalty rates issue is to offer the penalty rates based on number of hours worked. So, for example, set the standard limit at 40 (or 38.5) and if that is gone over that is when a penalty rate is required.

Working weeks are no longer standard and I honestly don't see a great deal of difference between working on a Sunday and working on a Wednesday, except for the fact that there are a lot of jobs that are still 9am-5pm Monday to Friday so the weekend can be necessary for families to spend time together as a whole. However, what I see as the big issue is workers working too many hours per week so they never genuinely get the time off.

Such a system may also spread work better amongst society. Companies would consider employing more people and having them all stick to the prescribed limit rather than overworking a few people. There would also be IMO more consistency - instead of the person who can work the penalty rate days having an advantage, everyone is in the same position.

Fudd

Foundation Member
....absolutely spot on, Claudia.....the notion of a "9 to 5 Mon - Fri" working week just doesn't cut it in today's society...... :)