• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Oh Poor Fremantle

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

couple

I wonder if they'll win a game this year?

St Kilda smashes Freo by 83 points

Sat, Apr 18, 09 By Mic Cullen
9:35 PM Sat 18 April, 2009

LED by captain Nick Riewoldt's five goals, a white-hot St Kilda has sustained its ominous early-season form, cantering to an 83-point victory over a disappointing Fremantle at Docklands on Saturday night.

Superior percentage will keep the undefeated Saints on top of the ladder after four rounds, while Fremantle remains in the very bottom rungs and under some duress – yet to find its first win of the season.

Riewoldt kicked the first two goals of the match and helped create the next two as the Saints surged to a 32-point quarter-time lead and, apart from some resistance from Dean Solomon, Matthew Pavlich and Michael Johnson in the second term, freely built on their efforts from there.

In the strongest sign of St Kilda's dominance en route to the 17.9 (111) to 4.4 (28) scoreline, Fremantle was kept goalless for the first and third quarters of the game.

The visitors kicked just one in the last.

However, the news wasn't all terrific for the Saints with key big man Justin Koschitzke forced from the field very early in the encounter.

His side didn't miss him and it was confirmed precautionary measures were taken with tightness in Koschitzke's left hamstring.

St Kilda's pressure, tackling and intensity have been talking points – even from other clubs – and for most of this game those were its strongest traits.

Unfortunately for spectators, the contest was effectively over by the first break and, at times, Fremantle looked disinterested and struggled to even stall the Saints' free running.

At the 23-minute mark of the opening term, Freo had laid a mere five tackles.

Riewoldt kicked his five goals opposed to Steven Dodd and then Chris Tarrant, while midfield quartet Nick Dal Santo (31 disposals), Brendon Goddard (29), Leigh Montagna (30) and Luke Ball (25) were so impressive in their dictation of ball movement.

Sam Gilbert and former Bulldog Farren Ray showed why they should become regular contributors in the line-up this season and Clint Jones (three goals) was effective in a tagging job on the dangerous Paul Hasleby.

Not surprisingly, Fremantle's defenders were the ones who saw a lot of the ball. Paul Duffield made the most of his inclusion after a week in the WAFL, Johnson was reasonable in the contests and Byron Schammer collected 32 possessions but wasted a number of them.

Hasleby, who continues a good return from a knee reconstruction, ruckman Aaron Sandilands and captain Pavlich worked hard to inspire their teammates but had little luck.

To support the concern, Fremantle remains winless against the Saints at Docklands, has won just once in its last 10 trips to the ground and has posted a solitary victory in its last eight matches.

For the Saints, it was their 19th Saturday night win in succession.

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon and his players would have been disappointed with their second-term efforts after starting the contest with the ruthlessness that ensured their 97-point demolition of the West Coast Eagles last weekend.

But it returned a lot faster than Fremantle was prepared for and, with 65 points the margin at the last change after a five-goal quarter, the final 20 minutes meant very little for either side.

Hasleby kicked Freo's fourth of the game eight minutes in and while the Saints had the foot well off the pedal by then, they still added four.

St Kilda 5.3 8.5 13.8 17.9 (111)
Fremantle 0.1 3.2 3.3 4.4 (28)

St Kilda smashes Freo by 83 points - AFL.com.au

S

stormline

Gee to bad you didn't put the article up last week when they smashed the EAGLES by 97points.
I used to go to games at carrera and watch BRISBANE get flogged weekly by i 100 pts or more..
Going bac a few years brisbane nearly won 4 flags in a row and more recently the eagles won a flag or 2 nearly.
So it all turns around,but why freo keep changing players has got me fucked.

Last edited by a moderator:

swingingstories

Gold Member
Poor Freo, they would have been better served to just give StK a call and say "boys, take the day off, we'll give you the points, save everyone the long flight."

Meanwhile the eagles have impressed by sticking their grit up and not giving up. My previously hardened heart may be softening with the shimmer of the blue and gold. After all, who doesn't want to support a bunch of hot 20 somethings who really put in effort. LOL

Love
swingingstories

B

Bratboy

Gee to bad you didn't put the article up last week when they smashed the EAGLES by 97points.
I used to go to games at carrera and watch BRISBANE get flogged weekly by i 100 pts or more..
Going bac a few years brisbane nearly won 4 flags in a row and more recently the eagles won a flag or 2 nearly.
So it all turns around,but why freo keep changing players has got me fucked.

When Brisbane were getting creamed, you could see the ground work being laid though. Freo just look like there's nothing going on.

S

stormline

When Brisbane were getting creamed, you could see the ground work being laid though. Freo just look like there's nothing going on.
Well i was talking about before they united with fitzroy, so I'm going back along way.
Yes once they came together as one they did have some direction, plus a good coach.
Also did Fremantle before they ditched a few of there senior players.

A couple of times over the last few seasons freo got into the top 8 and lost quiet a few games by less than a goal,there were also some very important games by a point. So i believe if they would of tried to keep the same team together for another season or two they would now be seeing some benefits.

Though yes i agree with you,they tried to replace allot of senior players with younger guys who some was there first game in the A.F.L.
If that's the road they are going to take now i think they will be lucky to win a game this season.
Also why they didn't take there opportunity to get a better coach when they could of is beyond me. I'm not saying Mark Harvey is no good,though they had a chance or two to pick up a better coach. Think even Kevin Sheedy put his hand up for the job. Btw i am not a freo supporter even though i live near freo.
I was always a Carlton supporter but when Brisbane got into the league i followed them, who under Vossy they are going okay for his first year as a coach..Each to there own opinion but i think we will see how good or bad the dockers are in the derby sat week.
They have taken a few off the eagles of late but i don't think it will be like that this season, Though you never know with the dockers sometimes they come out and win games that you think they would have no chance, but as i said i agree with you about there direction.
It will be interesting to see who they put on the field this week.

adam74

Silver Member
They've got some problems the Dockers, that's for sure. I would give their young fellas a bit more time before writing them off though.

S

stormline

Yeah that's right Adam, but they also need some of those more experienced players on the field as well. I guess it's just a case of getting the combination right.

adam74

Silver Member
As a lifelong Carlton fan, I can appreciate the situation they are in. It was us only a couple of years ago. The formula is simple with sporting teams: get some good young blokes, coach them well and be consistent with selection (stay with the young fellas you have).

Status
Not open for further replies.