Nyepi "Silent" Day's

Caroline

Easy going ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›
Diamond Member
This lock down remembering me with Nyepi "Silent" Day's i Bali. Nyepi is a Balinese "Day of Silence" that is commemorated every Isakawarsa (Saka new year) according to the Balinese calendar, around March but date always changing every years. The think that I also miss from Nyepi is ceremony and celebration before and after Nyepi. Before Nyepi every community on the island designed and constructed at least one "Demon Statue" (Ogoh - Ogoh) an effigy in the form of a scary creature that symbolizes evil to join the celebrations. The huge structures were paraded through streets, while Balinese marched alongside them, carrying burning bamboo torches and sounding gongs. The noisy ritual aimed at dissipating any negative energy and scaring away demons is celebrated every year on the eve of Nyepi, or the Day of Silence, which marks the Balinese Hindu New Year. Nyepi is one of the most important religious rituals observed by Balinese Hindus to welcome the turn of the Saka calendar. After that starting for 24 hours in silent. Nyepi is similar but different compare lock down, when Nyepi we not allowed for turn on the light, no noise, no TV, no cooking, no travelling (no flight) or go outside the house and the last a few month is on internet too for 24 hours. So basically all people stay inside the house doing fasting, mediation, family time, and time for them self for introspection them self for all they done last year. Even at the night time you can see milky way on the sky, which is you can't see clearly except on Nyepi. After 24 hours have another celebration but every communities have different ceremony. But one think that I like after Nyepi is very fresh air and pretty blue sky all over Bali, as for 24 hours no pollution at all.

I love my paradise, love the way Balinese keep balance between human and all creature on earth give mother earth time for rest. ;) ๐Ÿ‘

So guys are you ever have any experience Nyepi in Bali too ?

Treecat

Gold Member
I was in Bali for Nyepi day in 2018. The hotel closed the gates and informed every quest that we could not leave the hotel and had to be quiet. To their credit, they did have the kitchen open for room service and for breakfast and lunch. We were able to use the pool with all music turned down and the pool bar was open until sunset, when everyone had to go to their rooms and turn all the exterior lights off. It was a different way to spend a day in Bali, but it was good in that we had a chance to relax and not be rushing around.

Caroline

Easy going ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›
Diamond Member
yes @Treecat I really like Nyepi too, 24 hours or max a few days its more than enough. Not like right now a few weeks already, maybe extended don't know till when :eek::eek::eek: not good