• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Is there any way to have safe sex with someone who has herpes?

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Answered by Jenny
From what I understand, condoms and vaginal dams aren't reliable because there is still some skin to skin contact.
Even if the skin is unblemished and there aren't any lesions, I believe you can still be exposed to the virus if the person has herpes.
Answered by Mary-Anne
I don't think that is quite correct Jenny.Ninety percent of people that get genital herpes only get one attack in their lifes.A lot of people get cold sores confused with genital herpes. I have included a article published by BBC Health

Published 2004-08-02
By BBC health

Genital herpes. Once the herpes virus is in your body, it's there for good.

Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus. There are two types of the virus:

type I usually causes cold sores around the mouth, but can affect the genital and anal areas type II usually causes sores in the genital and anal areas, but sometimes affects the mouth

Some people have one outbreak of herpes, others have repeated outbreaks. Genital herpes doesn't generally cause serious health problems.

Genital herpes is passed on by direct skin contact, mainly during vaginal, oral or anal sex, or kissing.

There are ways in which you can avoid passing on genital herpes:

During an outbreak, the blisters and sores are highly infectious. Avoid contact with the infected area of skin at this time or during the warning signs of an outbreak. Condoms may help protect against genital herpes, although their effectiveness is unclear as the virus is present on the skin, and the condom only covers the penis so it can't offer complete protection. It's unclear how easy it is to pass on the virus between outbreaks or when you have no symptoms.

You can't catch genital herpes from sharing baths, towels, cups, plates or cutlery, or from toilet seats.

Signs and symptoms Many people show no signs of the virus. Others don't recognise the symptoms if they're very mild. Symptoms can develop at any time after contact with the virus, from four or five days later to even weeks, months and years afterwards.

Symptoms include:

fluid-filled blisters that burst leaving painful sores flu-like symptoms - headache, backache, swollen glands in the groin or fever tingling or itching sensation in the genitals or anal area pain when passing urine over the sores Left untreated, the symptoms last approximately two to three weeks. Recurrent infections are milder and symptoms clear up more quickly (within three to five days).

C

chrissie

maryanne said:
Answered by Jenny
From what I understand, condoms and vaginal dams aren't reliable because there is still some skin to skin contact.
Even if the skin is unblemished and there aren't any lesions, I believe you can still be exposed to the virus if the person has herpes.
Answered by Mary-Anne
I don't think that is quite correct Jenny.Ninety percent of people that get genital herpes only get one attack in their lifes.A lot of people get cold sores confused with genital herpes. I have included a article published by BBC Health

Latest research indicates that once infected with the virus, even if you are asymptomatic and have never had an outbreak, you shed active viral cells 3 or 4 times a year. The risk is less of contracting it this way as the amount of viral load is less than if you have an active outbreak, but it is still a risk.

Vaginally, anally and orally the risk is higher than it is in skin-to-skin contact, as that requires a break in the skin of the person who isn't infected for the virii to find a path, whereas the virri can pass directly through mucous membranes without the need for skin damage.

80% of people who have the virus are not aware of it, according to stats published recently. The only way to be sure is to have a blood test.

I would add that I think there is a lot of hysteria about herpes - it's not life-threatening, it's generally very manageable and there are a lot worse things you can pick up.

Chrissie

melissa@talkinsex

Foundation Member
What do you think of the ethical reasons about telling a potential partner that you have had had a herpes infection earlier in life? Even if you are going to you use condoms. I was so sick with my first attack and had to go to hospital that the thought of a man passing it on to another woman and her going through the same experience is freaking me out. But then quite a few of my woman friends go and have sex with the virus and feel no reason to disclose and seemingly not passed it on?

T

Tyler

My sister-in-law has had only two attacks of herpes since she has had it. She managed to get married and have a baby and neither the baby or her husband had to passed on to them.

I

Ishca

An Easy Remedy

There Are Two Chemicals In Your Body That Are Responsible For An Outbreak Of Herpes...lysine And Adenine...when Lysine Levels Drop, And Adenine Rise You Will Have An Attack...lysine Can Be Purchased At Any Health Food Store And Is Fairly Inexpensive.it Will Reduce The Onset If You Get In Early Or Continue To Take On A Regular Basis....basically If Your Immune System Is In Good Shape, You May Never Have An Attack Again...vitamin C, Garlic And Eccinacea Are The Tripple Whammy For A Healthy Immune System, Combined With A Healthy Diet, Low Stress Levels,remaining Chemically Free(man Made Recreational) And The Addition Of Lysine...you Can Be Assured That Those Herpes Attacks Never Return....there Are Also Some Foods To Be Avoided When You Have Symptoms...coffee, Red Wine, Red Meat And Processed Foods

melissa@talkinsex

Foundation Member
Do people that work in the sex industry - I mean actively giving sex services, oral or penetrative (not admin reception etc), have to tell the client if the have had an sti, and how about the client? What obligations do they have to the sex industry giver :)

I

Ishca

good question kimba.Personally i have never known any woman working in the sex industry to work shifts when she has an std.A working girl is usually a great advocate for safe sex,more so that ladies in the general public, she's well informed and expert at looking for the signs. For example an outbreak of herpes would be too painful, and many of the others would be picked up by they're regular medicals.This is her income and honestly most ladies are no prepared to put themselves at risk, a week off work on anti biotics could potentially cost her thousands in revenue. As for the male clients i have been dumbfounded by the high numbers coming in expecting that they are going to get sex, despite the fact they have a very obvious case of herpes or warts. i guess the fact they are not concerned is precisely the reason these diseases still exist and personally i find it unforgivable to knowingly put anothers health at risk in that way, but believe me it happens and regularly.anywho hope that helped....

melissa@talkinsex

Foundation Member
So that means it's safer to have sex with a woman working in the sex industry than a woman who is not informed about STI's or who is to drunk too care!

I

Ishca

yes girlfriend, that's exactly what i'm saying their duty of care is from a professional level, and extends to a personal one.