• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

international travel

petebird

Bronze Member
What is everyone's predictions on when the international travel ban will be over?
Looking forward to travelling myself and also so some new faces can come on the scene here in perth.

sircurious

Legend Member
International Students coming back into Australia is in the news at moment. The NSW Treasurer (obviously realised NSW is suffering financially) has tried to get international students into NSW but also trying to offload them first in Tasmania to do their 14 days quarantine. Tasmanian Government have rejected this approach as Tasmania currently do not take in stranded Australians from overseas, so this would have been seen as hypocritical. So today, the NSW Treasurer has attempted to try and not take anymore stranded Australians and instead take internationals students instead. Federal Government have already stated that this will not happen, so to answer your question - new faces into Perth will still be months away - possibly not until next year,

Last edited:

petebird

Bronze Member
Thanks for your response.
Sounds like International students are an important part of the economy in the east.
Doesn't surprise me though that they would leave some of there own people stranded to make a few dollars back. pretty sad, obviously all of his family and friends are already home.
It still rocks me when i think about how devastating this virus has been, i genuinely feel for people in other parts of the country and world who have had it a lot worse then us mob here in Perth.
2022 might be punters paradise :-D

sircurious

Legend Member
Further to this - the Chair of Universities Australia was the guest at the National Press Club today. A lot of the journalists questions were in regards to when she thought International Students would be able to return back to Australia. While she didn't give a definite timeframe, she was resigned to the fact that it wouldn't be until later this year at the earliest.

Also other issues to consider - anybody coming to Australia from another country will have to show evidence of being vaccinated. Considering the two countries that provide the most international students to Australia are China and India with both having a population in excess of 1 billion, it will according to predictions by John Hopkins University that it won't be until late 2022 or early 2023 when both countries population are fully vaccinated.

The other issue is that China is also trying to discourage its citizens from studying in Australia - whether this will be blocking access to Australian university websites through firewalls to prevent online learning or just simply refusing permission for citizens to travel by threatening internment into one of their re-education camps.