How could you???

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Busy watching Air Crash Investigations while I surf the net and tonights episode is how the russians accidently shot down a passenger plane that strayed into thier air space.
I feel bad if I come even close to hitting a cat or dog that happens to go into the path of my car. I simply can`t imagine what it must have been like for the pilot to shoot down another even if you feel your country is under threat.

I guess to be a soldier you must be a special bred of person.

whilom

Whilom
Gold Member
Busy watching Air Crash Investigations while I surf the net and tonights episode is how the russians accidently shot down a passenger plane that strayed into thier air space.

Pretty hard to accidently lock on a missile guidance system and then to accidently launch a missile.

No accident, they knew what they were doing.
Just a deterrant.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
No accident that they were firing on to a plane but did they know it was only carrying civilian??? I guess we will never know but how strong would you have to be to push the red button. They were not even in a state of war.

How do you prepare yourself emotionly for something like that??

Did the crew of either Enola Gay or Bockscar do interviews after dropping the A Bomb??

B

BigBlackCock

I'm not sure if they ever claimed it was an accident - are you referring to KAL 007? I think at the time they actually played the recording of the pilots who asked the pilots to identify themselves, and it was sadly funny because one of the russian pilots swore and it was translated in English as "fiddlesticks".

F

Farm Boy

And then we got GPS thanks Ron ...............................................Korean, Air Lines Flight 007 (KAL 007, KE 007[Notes 2]) was a Korean Air Lines civilian airliner that was shot down by Soviet interceptors on 1 September 1983, over the Sea of Japan, near Moneron Island just west of Sakhalin island. All 269 passengers and crew aboard were killed, including Lawrence McDonald, a sitting member of the United States Congress. The aircraft was en route from New York City to Seoul via Anchorage when it strayed into prohibited Soviet airspace around the time of a planned missile test.

The Soviet Union initially denied knowledge of the incident,[2] but later admitted shooting the aircraft down, claiming that it was on a spy mission.[3] The Politburo said it was a deliberate provocation by the United States,[4] to test the Soviet Union's military preparedness, or even to provoke a war. The United States accused the Soviet Union of obstructing search and rescue operations.[5] The Soviet military suppressed evidence sought by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) investigation, notably the flight data recorders,[6] which were eventually released eight years later after the collapse of the Soviet Union.[7]

The incident was one of the tensest moments of the Cold War, and resulted in an escalation of anti-Soviet sentiment, particularly in the United States. The opposing points of view on the incident were never fully resolved; consequently, several groups continue to dispute official reports and offer alternate theories of the event. The subsequent release of transcripts and flight recorders by the Russian Federation has addressed some details.

As a result of the incident, the United States altered tracking procedures for aircraft departing Alaska, while the interface of the autopilot used on airliners was redesigned to make it more ergonomic.[8] President Ronald Reagan ordered the U.S. military to make the developing Global Positioning System (GPS) available for civilian use so that navigational errors like that of KAL 007 could be averted in the future.....................................................

B

BigBlackCock

I think one of the theories as well when the Russian pilots asked the Korean pilots to identify themselves before deciding to shoot was also that the plane had been fit with a certain spyware.

Apparently, they were flying over parts of a (then) secret USSR installation which the Americans were desperate to get intell on.

B

BigBlackCock

The American administration may have gambled thinking that the Soviets would never shoot down a civilian passenger plane as opposed to a military spyplane.

If the theory holds water, the Americans got it wrong.

B

Boney

I've recorded this episode but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Great show anyway

svengali

Foundation Member
I remember the fuss this caused.

As usual there was so much "fog" hurled up by both sides that if the truth was "out there" you wouldn't find it anyway.

The Russkies alleged the U.S. had spying equipment on the 'plane but also said that their fighters fired warning shots before launching their missiles. A Russian pilot who defected and ended up in Japan said this was bunkum because the Sukhoi interceptors involved only carried missiles.

The "military installations" referred to was the entire Kamchatka peninsula which was, and still is a hub of Russian military activity and a well-known "no go" area for civilian aircraft. Just why and how the Korean pilots ended up over such a sensitive spot is another unanswered question.

We will probably never know the full story.