• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Facing your own mortality...

asianguy77

Diamond Member
Just found out recently a relative had passed away. Although, I didn't know them well, and had probably only ever met them a handful of times, it does make you think about your own mortality and the loved ones close to you. Even the PM recently lost her father.

I have yet to really experience a loss of someone very close to me, but that certainty of death and taxes will come. How did you best cope with this, and did it change the way you viewed life?

P

Perth boy

I'm in the same boat never had to deal with it. My dad is 84 so I'm expecting to see how it feels soon. Not something I like to think about to much but it's going to happen.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Same here. I dread time (hopefully far away in the furure) when a phone call tells me that something has happened to somebody of my immediate family in Europe........like a nightmare would come true.
Like Perth boy I do not think too much about it as I believe nothing can prepare me for it when it happens. How I might react? Will it change my life? No idea. Unfortunaltely I will find out sooner or later.......hopefully later.

R.xxxxxx

5ome0ne

Gold Member
Maybe keep on your mind on people who are close to you and still alive and treasure every moment you have with them, instead dwelling on the past for the people who passed away? Not saying you shouldn't remember them, but just don't let them overwhelm you.

Sensual ~ Vanessa

Gold Member
My grandparents passed away many years ago....I felt
the way I was involved in their passing helped me grieve through
the process healthily. I still miss them as we were good friends
as one could hope to have in their grandparents.
It does make you think about how fragile life really is
and I certainly can empathise with anyone dealing with the death of
a loved one, even though I'm not close to them, I know its still the passing
of a soul who bought sunshine to those close to them.

W

WRXXXR

Unfortunately i went through a period of about 3 months a few years back when a significant number of people close to me died. I've been to far more funerals than weddings lol. Theres nothing anyone can say to prepare you how to deal with it. You've just got to keep waking up and dealing with grief best you can i guess.

I've lost close family friends, work mates, close relatives and my best mate of 9 years. That one really started to break me and i was in a position where i had to choose between doing the hardest thing i may ever have to do or taking the easier option.

If nothing else its given me the strength to overcome genuine obstacles in life and completely disregard the little things.

It's events in places like Banda Aceh that make me realise that for all my loss, i'm not doing to badly! To keep on living when the world has been turned upside down and you've lost every member of your family, your house, your job, your friends etc must be incredibly difficult.

Happy2

Legend Member
Because your parents are in their 80's you cant think of when it will happen I mean my parents are both nonagenarians
I would have worried for 10-15yrs about their mortality instead of enjoying still having them And drinking a nice wine with dad for his birthday recently

J

Jessica

Death is one certainty we all face in "this life". I have a very unique view to most people. For me to exit this world (via death) is to begin eternity in paradise. For me that is exciting...and to be celebrated. I syppathise with others who feel grief of the separation - but ....till we meet again.

J

Jazzmine

I have had a lot of death in my family and close circle of friends, along with a lot of births.
How do I deal with death? I'm funny in this kinda situation... I tend to take in the news, sit on my own for a few hours and contemplate, reminisce then I get back to my day.
Death is a natural part of this world, we all know it's going to happen, whether suddenly or expectedly. It's something we can't let ourselves dwell on too long for risk of becoming depressed etc. In my beliefs, when a person 'dies', all that has happened is that their current journey is ended Their body has given way but their soul is always going to be around, it's a nice way to think, to know that you're always going to have their spirit and memory around you.
Have any of the deaths around me changed the way I view life? No, although I have been made more aware of certain things thanks to these deaths.

Sensual ~ Vanessa

Gold Member
The seperation from them IS what we grieve, not seeing them in person anymore.
They live on in our hearts and memories. We just miss them, the chats, the giggles together,
everything about their presence.
Naturally moving on, is the only way forward but it doesn't mean, we don't miss their presence in our lives.
On a spiritual sense, I've felt the presence of those deceased that I love
but its not the same.
I guess thats life.......
until we meet again in another life

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
I too have lost close family members and I was even holding my mothers hand as she let out her last breathe.
Each time it has happened I tell myself I will try to slow down and stop to smell the roses as some would say, I don`t know why but I never do.
I do however try to remember that they would want us to be happy with ourselves and that the best way to honour them is to share the smiles that they shared with us.

F

Farm Boy

Just found out recently a relative had passed away. Although, I didn't know them well, and had probably only ever met them a handful of times, it does make you think about your own mortality and the loved ones close to you. Even the PM recently lost her father.

I have yet to really experience a loss of someone very close to me, but that certainty of death and taxes will come. How did you best cope with this, and did it change the way you viewed life?

Why do you think Death defies to political power?

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member

Hi AG77

I find that so many of us including myself are so brave and spiritual when it comes to facing the knowingness that the reaper has checked in and began his journey towards us.

Yet when tangible evidence is presented, and a date is estimated. Fear takes over and all the feel good stuff is pushed aside.

This is a sensitive topic I know. However is there anyone that can relate? Or offer a less grim point of view?

svengali

Foundation Member
O.K, I am not a believer in any afterlife stories, particularly those peddled by the religious but that does not mean I do not acknowledge the spiritual side of our existence. I believe that life is a force which manifests itself briefly within us then returns to the source on death. What dies is the memories, knowledge and experiences we accumulate during our life which define us as individuals. The life force itself, Jedi call it "the force", martial artists call it "Ki" is indestructible and immortal.

After death there can be no experiences or sensations in the sense that we know them. The body, which is the source of all sensations is gone so how can we "feel" anything? You can't play a harp on cloud 9 without fingers. You cannot have your way with 50 odd virgins because the equipment you need for that is also missing. This is just fantasy stuff and hides the reality and finality of death.

So what does happen?

The closest I can come to understanding it is to visualise this life force as an endless ocean and my life as a small droplet spun off the top of a wave to exist briefly as a separate entity before being re-absorbed into the whole. What sort of experience that will be I do not even pretend to understand but, rest assured, we will all find out one day.

Perhaps this poem which we have all heard at some time says it best:

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

Mary Elizabeth Frye

asianguy77

Diamond Member
Anyone seen the movie starring Robin Williams or read the book 'What Dreams May Come'? Gives a interesting interpretation of the afterlife

[video=youtube_share;RmZ-FuBThuQ]http://youtu.be/RmZ-FuBThuQ[/video]

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
Anyone seen the movie starring Robin Williams or read the book 'What Dreams May Come'? Gives a interesting interpretation of the afterlife

[video=youtube_share;RmZ-FuBThuQ]http://youtu.be/RmZ-FuBThuQ[/video]

Yes, A magnificent film it is. Some even say its a pretty accurate account.