• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Alley W

Diamond Member
Global climate strike kicks off in different parts of the world

Inspired by an idea from teen activist Greta Thunberg, people of all ages are expected to strike and take to the streets across the planet on Friday September 20, to raise awareness of the climate crisis.

Thousands of Hobartians have rallied for action on climate change

The event at Hobart’s parliament lawns started at noon, and is part of the global School Strike for Climate movement that will see events staged in 110 towns and cities across Australia.

Organisers are demanding government and business commit to a target of net zero carbon emissions by 2030.

stovo82

Diamond Member
I fear it is too late for measures on climate change to be effective if they were implemented. Climate change protests have been going on for 50 years and the corrupt governments and corrupt businesses have prevented action and denied there is a problem. Blinded by the $$$ in their eyes, businesses and government regard profits and corporate greed as far more important than the environment and people.

ScoMo won the election and that ensures no action will be taken on climate change in Australia. Donald Trump and Boris Johnson leaders of USA and UK oppose measures on climate change. Corrupt politicians do not believe in taking action on climate change because they are blinded by the $$$ in their eyes.

Sophie South

Adventurous Brunette
Gold Member
Not too long ago, there would’ve been a high chance I would have involved myself in the protest.

Today though? Not likely. I use public transport whenever possible, but my bus line was moved in such a way that if I went to the new stop, I would have been late for work. I had to set up a less environmentally friendly option (Uber). I feel bad for the TransPerth staff walking the streets answering questions, especially the one I asked, “Sorry, I’m in a hurry... basically, did the hippies f**k up my commute today?”

Also while passing through central city, I had a few flyers shoved in my face. I forgot to ask if the ink they used was vegan, but did ask if the paper was recycled and didn’t get a meaningful reply from anyone. I wish I wasn’t so jaded, but I wanted to proven wrong and was left wanting.

I get that the protesters are frustrated with the lack of compassion for our environment, but all I hope for right now is that they don’t leave any litter behind. If it’s anything like previous protests I’ve attended, my little bit of hope might be as wasted as my time was earlier.

That said, if the protest was anywhere near Parliament or Nestlé HQ (or any corporation like theirs), I could possibly be talked into showing up...

Miss Monique

Adelaide's original Plus Size Delight
Legend Member
I would have loved to attend the Adelaide one but the numbers they were expectioning was overwhelming for me. I had many friends from the homeschooling community attend here in Adelaide and interstate. Putting things into action everyday life is far more valuable

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
good to see that so many people do care and are worried. And rightly so as this topic is definitely not one of favourite ones on the list of the movers and shakers of this world. The cynic in me thinks like stovo82....it is probably already too late.

stovo82

Diamond Member
One of the greatest Presidents of all time, Obama could not come up with a solution despite having a team of experts to help him. Political lightweights like Trump, Boris Johnson and our useless ScoMo have no hope of coming up with with a solution because they do not even believe in climate change. Climate change denial is far easier than climate change action.

T

Tania Admin

Personally I would like to see our students attend these rallies on weekends and not during school time. Also I'd like to see them attend these rallies without leaving a big mess (which includes single use plastic bottles).

I agree @Mrs Langtrees that environmental issues need to be recognised but they also need to recognise the part they play also.
We walked to school, or rode bikes, now they want to be driven and catch buses.
Single use bottles.
Plastic everything and rubber, including their designer shoes they must have. Only a drop in an ocean of examples.

The biggest changes start with our actions and in our own homes. Reducing plastic use (in our house we are gradually replacing plastic storage containers with glass), recycling, up-cycling.
Using safe products like Vinegar for cleaning (where plausible) and making citrus cleaning and air fresh products.
Walking, riding instead of driving etc.
Not using plastic straws (In our house we all carry stainless straws in our bags, car etc).
Buying bamboo products.
Recycling old clothing by making shopping bags.
Growing your own food (which helps the pocket too and tastes tonnes better) without using harmful chemicals (as big growers do)
The list goes on.

Our HeadHousekeeper @Jaimi VIP Darwin now purchases environmentally friendly paper mouth wash cups for Langtrees VIP Darwin.

Again I 100% believe that "change" starts at "home" and every little bit helps.

I also know that volcanoes are responsible for more air pollution than humans and that the earth has gone through climatic cycles since the beginning of time.

But we can reduce the pollutants we are contributing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
Violence erupted on the streets of Paris on Saturday after “black bloc” anarchists hijacked a peaceful march by 15,000 climate change activists, setting fire to a barricade in the Latin Quarter and smashing the windows of banks and shops.

Stolen from the Australian

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Personally I would like to see our students attend these rallies on weekends and not during school time. Also I'd like to see them attend these rallies without leaving a big mess (which includes single use plastic bottles).

I agree @Mrs Langtrees that environmental issues need to be recognised but they also need to recognise the part they play also.
We walked to school, or rode bikes, now they want to be driven and catch buses.
Single use bottles.
Plastic everything and rubber, including their designer shoes they must have. Only a drop in an ocean of examples.

The biggest changes start with our actions and in our own homes. Reducing plastic use (in our house we are gradually replacing plastic storage containers with glass), recycling, up-cycling.
Using safe products like Vinegar for cleaning (where plausible) and making citrus cleaning and air fresh products.
Walking, riding instead of driving etc.
Not using plastic straws (In our house we all carry stainless straws in our bags, car etc).
Buying bamboo products.
Recycling old clothing by making shopping bags.
Growing your own food (which helps the pocket too and tastes tonnes better) without using harmful chemicals (as big growers do)
The list goes on.

Our HeadHousekeeper @Jaimi VIP Darwin now purchases environmentally friendly paper mouth wash cups for Langtrees VIP Darwin.

Again I 100% believe that "change" starts at "home" and every little bit helps.

I also know that volcanoes are responsible for more air pollution than humans and that the earth has gone through climatic cycles since the beginning of time.

But we can reduce the pollutants we are contributing.

Plastic is a HUGE worry..........
imaging the amount of platic in the ocean.........

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
And then you can always depend on Sam Newman for the voice of reason!

Sam Newman slams Greta Thunberg in vicious tweet
Headshot of Kate Campbell

Kate CampbellThe West Australian
Wednesday, 25 September 2019 6:01PM
Kate Campbell

Teen Activist Thunberg to World Leaders: 'How Dare You!'

Polarising football identity Sam Newman has landed in hot water again, this time lashing out at teenage climate change activist Greta Thunberg ahead of his trip to Perth to host a grand final function at Optus Stadium.
After the 16-year-old Swedish girl made an impassioned speech to world leaders at the United Nations in New York this week, a furious Newman tweeted: “This annoying little brat addressed the UN on the so-called climate crisis. WHO lets this s**t have a platform? Mendacious, inbred sycophants, that’s who. #ClimateChangeHoax.”
Gender equity advocates last week questioned the merit of paying the controversial figure to host the $135-a-head stadium event, but tickets to the Saturday lunch have almost sold out.

Newman is also hosting a grand final function at Perth’s Hyatt Regency on Friday.
Women’s Affairs Minister Simone McGurk reaffirmed her stance that the government, although not involved in selecting the host for this event, would not intervene as it was being run by a private company, stadium operator VenuesLive.
But the minister yesterday condemned Newman over his latest attack.

“Public figures have an obligation to be respectful. Sam Newman’s latest spray simply demonstrates, yet again, his blatant unwillingness to make a measured and thoughtful contribution,” she said.
WA Commissioner for Children and Young People Colin Pettit said it was important that young people were encouraged to have a voice and respected when they did speak out.
“The onus is on all of us to listen and to treat young people with respect when they do speak out,” he said.
“WA young people are genuinely concerned about their environment and regularly raise these concerns with me,” he said.
An Optus Stadium spokesman said there would be no change to Saturday’s event, which had sold 600 tickets and was close to selling out.
Newman’s Twitter rant prompted an outcry on social media.

“You’re a sad excuse of a man, picking on a 16-year-old girl with Aspergers, all because she and millions of her peers care about the future of our planet,” one person posted.
Another added: “Perhaps try and do something different, soften a little, be kinder, maybe even demonstrate respect to an opposing opinion with out degradation, who knows, it might feel good.”

Last week, Newman told this newspaper that he believed he had “better core values” than 90 per cent of West Australians.
Other prominent identities, including Karl Stefanovic and politicians Pauline Hanson and George Christensen, also criticised Thunberg this week, with some claiming the teenager is being used as a puppet for radical climate activists.
Fox News in the US was forced to apologise this week after a guest, conservative commentator Michael Knowles, called Thunberg “mentally ill” on air.
But Thunberg appears to be taking the criticism in her stride.
After US President Donald Trump posted a sarcastic tweet that she “seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future”, the teenager used that description as her Twitter bio.

Logan VIP Perth

Reception @ Langtrees
Legend Member
World’s oceans at a tipping point, grave UN report warns

un climate beach

Most Australians live within 50 kilometres of the coast. photo: ABC
Rebecca Gredley
TWEETSHAREREDDITPINEMAILCOMMENT

Australia’s beach lifestyle, tourism and seafood stocks are under threat unless rapid action is taken to mitigate the world’s changing climate, a new report warns.
The latest report from the United Nation’s climate scientists focuses on the ocean – which is warmer, more acidic and less productive – as well as ice, largely sea caps and glaciers.
Both are melting and could raise sea levels by 30 to 60cm by the end of the century if global warming is capped at two degrees, or by more than a metre if pollution rates continue on current trends.
Report co-author and Australian National University climate scientist Nerilie Abram says coastal communities could face extreme flooding at least once a year by 2050, when previously they were once-in-a-century events.
“In Australia, adapting coastal communities to unavoidable sea level rise is likely a priority,” she said.
“There are a range of possible options, from building barriers to planned relocation, to protecting the coral reefs and mangroves that provide natural coastal defences,” she said.
Climate change is already a daily reality for Australia’s neighbouring islands, Greenpeace’s head of Pacific Joseph Moeono-Kolio says.
Melissa Price insult to Kiribati

Kiribati Is the most vulnerable of nations to climate change. Photo: AAP
The government is preparing for climate refugees and has already purchased property on Fiji so residents have somewhere to go, he told AAP.
But many residents, particularly elders, don’t want to leave their homes.
“It’s a difficult conversation we have to have now with our elders. We are living this reality everyday,” Mr Moeono-Kolio said.
“Ocean health and the climate crises are intrinsically linked. You can’t address one without addressing the other, to try and do so is a danger to all of us.”
Coral bleaching leads to a decline in fish to eat, he said.
The smaller islands of the Pacific are home to 65 million people, while four million people live in the Arctic region.
Climate change will also affect the 670 million people living in high mountain regions of the world and 680 million in low-lying coastal zones.
Australian Conservation Foundation CEO Kelly O’Shanassy is again calling for a transition to renewable energy and an end to fossil fuels.
“Australia has so much to lose,” she told AAP.
“We love the Great Barrier Reef, Ningaloo Reef and our other spectacular coral ecosystems. We love our beaches. We love fishing and water sports.
“Call your MP and ask them to stop building new coal mines and switch Australia from coal to renewable energy. The future is shaped by those that take action today.”
More than 100 authors from 36 countries worked on the report, which references 7000 scientific publications.
-AAP

Last edited by a moderator:

Logan VIP Perth

Reception @ Langtrees
Legend Member
What an embarrassment our PM is!
Climate scientists blast Scott Morrison’s ‘ludicrous’ UN speech

1569441296-20190926001422228415-original-960x540.jpg

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison addresses the 74th session of the United Nations General Assembly. Photo: AAP
Samantha Dick Samantha DickReporter
TWEETSHAREREDDITPINEMAILCOMMENT

Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s speech to the United Nations in which he boasted about Australia’s climate policies has been picked apart by leading environmental scientists.
Speaking to world leaders in New York, Mr Morrison said Australia was on track to meet its emissions reduction targets and that it was unlikely he would update them despite this being a requirement by the Paris agreement’s five-yearly review process.
He also accused Australian and international media outlets for “misrepresenting” the country’s climate change record.
But the Climate Council, an independent non-profit organisation aimed at providing accurate climate change information to the Australian public, has blasted Mr Morrison’s speech as “colossal bullsh-t”.
So what did our prime minister say? And which of his statements have outraged environmental experts?
“Australia is taking real action on climate change and we are getting real results,” Mr Morrison said in his speech.
Climate Council CEO Amanda McKenzie said Mr Morrison’s claims that Australia was doing enough to combat global warming was “colossal bullsh-t”, and that to suggest otherwise was “ludicrous and dangerous”.
“Over the winter we saw bushfires burning across Australia, while the Amazon rainforest and the Arctic were on fire,” Ms McKenzie said.
“A major new report shows that suburbs in Sydney, Perth and Melbourne could experience serious sea level disasters every year on our current trajectory.”
Australia’s Paris target is to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 26 to 28 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030.
This is one of the weakest targets among developed countries, says the Climate Council.
Australian Conservation Foundation CEO Kelly O’Shanassy agreed, saying we needed to “triple our 2030 targets if we are to have a safe future”.
“We need to triple our country’s commitments if we are to have any chance of limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees,” Ms O’Shanassy told The New Daily.
“The science is very clear that Australia’s targets are not enough.”
Australia’s emissions have risen every year for the past five years across almost every sector of the economy.
Mr Morrison also claimed that “by 2020, Australia will have overachieved on our Kyoto commitments, reducing our greenhouse gas emissions by 367 million tonnes more than required to meet our 2020 Kyoto target.”
But the Climate Council says Australia’s Kyoto targets were among the weakest in the world, and that the government’s data proves our emissions are actually increasing.
“Australia is responsible for just 1.3 per cent of global emissions,” Mr Morrison said.
“Australia is doing our bit on climate change and we reject any suggestion to the contrary.”
Australia is the 17th largest polluter in the world, ahead of 175 countries.
Ms O’Shanassy said our coal and gas export industry made us the third largest exporter of fossil fuels in the world behind Russia and Saudi Arabia.
She said the government’s support of the coal industry, including backing the controversial Adani coal mine in Queensland, was “negligent” given the need to phase out coal globally by 2050.
“What our prime minister does is pit climate action versus jobs, and labels anyone who speaks up for a safe climate future as a radical fringe dweller – including the 300,000 young people who rallied at the Climate Strike,” Ms O’Shanassy said.
“It’s offensive to say ‘kids you should just be in school learning’ and pat them on the head dismissively when your support of coal will risk the lives of these young people.”

Penny S

A Rose by any other name 🌹
Staff member
Legend Member
You can always depend on Pauline Hanson for an objective point of view!:banghead:
But the issue still exists we are and our leaders are fighting over power/trade/money and overlooking at the global crisis that is coming slowly but with a huge impact

Alley W

Diamond Member
Greta Thunberg
Was reading about her such a courage this young girl have. Swedish girl being just 15 years old she began a protest outside of her own nation and across the globe to save our climate. She is also known for her blunt, matter-of-fact speaking manner, both in public and to political leaders and assemblies, in which she urges immediate action to address what she describes as the climate crisis.