Anyone remember the Happy Haven?

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
It was in Bayswater off Guildford Road. Some people say Dorrie Flatman owned it one point. Don't have sufficient info from the Internet to confirm that. I did glean this gem however from an ex-worker there.

"I worked at the Haven. I was only 21 and the youngest by a decade. The thought of the place makes my skin crawl. Xxx the Madam was a ruthless piece of work. Isolating and toxic. One staff in particular Susie, was just lovely. The rest would stab you in the back at any given moment and so would the workers. To my knowledge it only remained open because of the $30 service. If you can afford a case of beer you could afford a quickie which in the eyes of the law kept the rape/assult incidents at a low. I’ll never forget the woman who stole some bed sheets from there. Ugh. No showers, just ice cream containers. It was third world to say the least. There was a barber shop attached to the side on Garrett Road. The men would go in for a hair cut but also slip through a joining door to the brothel. Wouldn’t spit on the place if it was on fire."

Another ex-employee says;

"Yes I too worked there I do remember Susie and the madam and her daughter . Big red high couches . She also owned the paradise down the road"

An ex-punter from 1979 gives us this enlightening morsel;

"I went inside many times, especially Sunday mornings after a heavy night on the drink. That was 1979 and the price $20. I lived at Sherwood Heights Maylands so all I had to do was cross Guildford road near Pizza Hut and walk up. Staff were friendly, good value for money."

Damn you inflation!!

Thanks to theworstofperth.com for info.

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
Dad took me there for my 18th birthday
Ahh good times Those 5 minutes

You sure he didn't intend for you to get a haircut? Like one of the ladies describes? "There was a barber shop attached to the side on Garrett Road. The men would go in for a hair cut but also slip through a joining door to the brothel."

Is it as much a dive as one of the ladies describes? "No showers but icecream containers"?

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Dorrie Flatman.

I do apologize. Just came across this.

FLATMAN (Dorothea): Died 2nd July, 2013. Beloved Mother of Irene and Mary and Wife of Kimberley. May she Rest in Peace.
This should be on Dorrie Thread you should be able to move it I asked Kate to make you a moderator,

svengali

Foundation Member
The first and last time I went there I was a callow youth. The huge, overbearing madam almost put me off sex for life, so scary I did not even check out the girls and my old Nissan just about left skid marks in the carpark as I took off. As someone else once said - it looked like the kind of place where you wipe your feet when you leave.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
I remember it as the building was a real eye saw

Purple Haze , A song ( Jimi Hendrix ), A sub variety of the Cannabis plant , Some thing associated with the Dockers and cheap paint slapped on a Perth Landmark to cover up the previous Off Pink Traffic Distraction .

Longshot

Gold Member
My first time in a brothel! A few mates and I took one of the guys younger brothers there for his birthday. We were all offered $10 roots, so naturally we all came out happy boys!

Longshot

Gold Member
I think it must have been a slow night or the fact that all 8 of us were offered a girl...$80

mick7

Foundation Member
back around 1980 I used to see a lady named maggie at the happy haven , she also worked at the paradise chics on Guildford rd back towards perth a bit, she was excellent value for money, a fuck and a head job for $35, she was beautiful , around 30-35

mick

Toofierce

Gold Member
Coming from the UK at a young age, the day we landed we drove past there. Asked my uncle “what’s that place?”

With a shuffling of thoughts, and thinking he was quite smart, he replies whilst looking at my father.. “cat shop” with wink a crooked smile.
However......

A few months later why my mother landed and Once settled into our new house, my father promised me we could get a cat. I knew the perfect, directed my mother how to get there. Imagine her surprise when we got there.