Advice needed on buying a ute

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I have two grandsons who will soon be 17, and have decided to buy them a Ute soon. I am looking for a 4-wheel drive ute with a single cab and must be a manual.
My reasoning is that a manual will make them better drivers. You can still get them, but you have to order 10 months in advance.
Single cab so they can't ferry all their mates around.
4-wheel drive is my house on Dirk Hartog. It will be ready in 2026, and I can only take 4-wheel drives to the island, and someone has to drive up the toilet paper.
Also as they will go to university or trade school easy to get work for deliveries with a ute.
So far have only found Toyota Hilux SR, anything else that would suit my needs.
1.png

sdm85

Gold Member
Whats your budget? Anything in thr ranger, hilux, dmax or triton stables will have something and all have their pro's and cons but are well up to the job.

How did you manage to get to build a house on DHI? Magical place!

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Whats your budget? Anything in thr ranger, hilux, dmax or triton stables will have something and all have their pro's and cons but are well up to the job.

How did you manage to get to build a house on DHI? Magical place!
I bought some land there 10 years ago there are only 8 x 5 acre blocks available and I think 3 are sold, only just getting building approvals and allowed to build 3 x 2 bedroom houses on each block.
I holidayed up there 20 years ago and still the best place Ive ever been to so magical....

sdm85

Gold Member
Other than a couple of recent trips to Francis Peron NP, i havent been up there in 6 or 7 years but you got an incredible score there :)

I can only imagine the issues with building a new house in 2024 on an island 1000kms from Perth but i'm sure the builders will have a great time on the island!

For a new car, they will all be great especially. All will be comfortable and will handle the 4wding with some sensible mods. Decent AT tyres and underneath bash plate protection and you'll have no issues.

Ranger is a great ute and you can see why they are #1. Hilux and dmax are solid contenders and the new triton is supposed to be excellent but the ranger is well worth a look.

Car prices and wait times are a different story but not much you can

sdm85

Gold Member
I think your right, ranger might not offer a single cab now but surely they have a "working" range like the other 3?? Or maybe sales are just far too strong of the dual cab to worry about a single or club cab?

The new tritons are all auto (currently) but i wouldnt let that be the deciding factor

Last edited:

mrys

Legend Member
For reliability and resale I would go Hilux. Toyota are launching an all new Hilux next year I believe so you may be able to get 'run out deals' on the current model.......maybe.

Terminator

Silver Member
Hilux is definitely the way to go.
Very reliable, safe and economical.
I have had one for about 7 years now and touch wood lol , I have had no problems whatsoever. Toyota tuff lol

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I'd recommend the Suzuki Jimny XL model. You can have the rear seats removed so the boys can camp in it if they have to when going to stay overnight locations for their work. I've yet to hear of anyone having an accident in one unless of course they behave like reckless hoons. Anyway, I think I've over extended my welcome here but I'd recommend this for two young men staring out. It's reliable without costing the earth unlike Toyota or Mercedes Benz https://www.suzuki.com.au/vehicles/suv/jimny

2.jpg

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Other than a couple of recent trips to Francis Peron NP, i havent been up there in 6 or 7 years but you got an incredible score there :)

I can only imagine the issues with building a new house in 2024 on an island 1000kms from Perth but i'm sure the builders will have a great time on the island!

For a new car, they will all be great especially. All will be comfortable and will handle the 4wding with some sensible mods. Decent AT tyres and underneath bash plate protection and you'll have no issues.

Ranger is a great ute and you can see why they are #1. Hilux and dmax are solid contenders and the new triton is supposed to be excellent but the ranger is well worth a look.

Car prices and wait times are a different story but not much you can
Just so you know the house will be built in Perth and shipped up and a lot will be helicoptered in. build date is 2026 we have to get power, and water together this year and next year.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I'd recommend the Suzuki Jimny XL model. You can have the rear seats removed so the boys can camp in it if they have to when going to stay overnight locations for their work. I've yet to hear of anyone having an accident in one unless of course they behave like reckless hoons. Anyway, I think I've over extended my welcome here but I'd recommend this for two young men staring out. It's reliable without costing the earth unlike Toyota or Mercedes Benz https://www.suzuki.com.au/vehicles/suv/jimny

View attachment 213741
I am liking this one Ill check the pricing early next week i think Suzuki are close to me.

Obbie

Legend Member
Just so you know the house will be built in Perth and shipped up and a lot will be helicoptered in. build date is 2026 we have to get power, and water together this year and next year.
Get solar and a battery stand alone power system set up . It can be built in a container and basically it's a plug in and off you go .

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Get solar and a battery stand alone power system set up . It can be built in a container and basically it's a plug in and off you go .
Having a meeting on this issue on Wednesday so thanks for the advice.