• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Working & being a mum

A

Alexis

Hi all....my biggest frustration is this.....
Last week i had to have a day off work because my 8yo was sick....the next day the manager calls me in and hits me with "I understand your daughter was sick but we need a solution because we can't afford you to have days off", now i was honestly shocked and said what do you suppose i do? bring her in here or maybe send her to school anyway?....no reply....what really pisses me off is a man saying this to me, while his wife is at home looking after his kids...I need some advice as still a week later and im staring daggers at him everytime he walks past me...I really wanted to jump the desk and punch him out., but so close to christmas i need the job...Anybody have any advice as to what i should do? oh not to mention i have totally turned the office around with my ideas on how to do things properly even gave them sales advice on how to make more money!!! Thanks for listening to my bad day :headbang:

Sir Stefan

Agent Provocateur
Foundation Member
Alexis, I feel for you. What you have described is another, all too familiar case of selfishness. Whether you work in the Sex industry or in a grocery store too many employers do NOT respect their workers...and this is just another very typical case.... They have a me, me, me attitude and it sucks.... Now having said that I am an employer and have been so since 1971.... but I respect my employees for the valuable contribution they make to my business....and so I treat them with respect and support them in their times of need.... Seems the problem with your employer is thet he/she has a lot of learning to do.... and I don't think that leopard will change it's spots.... So best thing you can do is to 'grin and bear it'.... in the short term, whilst you seek a better place to work.... hope this helps

princesssuzie

Foundation Member
Alexis, I'm actually amazed that bosses can still be inconsiderate like this and I just assumed that things run the same way in all jobs. In my work place you're actually allowed to have up to 5 days sick leave for your children per year.

I'm not in need of this as although I'm a Mum and I work, my daughter is 19.

I would have to agree with sirstefan in looking around for something else, unless of course you feel that you could confront your boss without any repercussions.

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
Alexis : i agree with slavegirlsuzie and SirStefan, and it amazes me how many people live in the dark ages ;

M

Mary Anne PA

Surely this would be considered discrimination!
Like you say hon, its not like you can bring her to work, or send her to school sick!

Maybe compromise with the boss, and see if you can work from home on paperwork for awhile?

A

Alexis

thanks to you all for saying what i already thought....I will def look for another job and im going to stop going beyond my call of duty...It's just frustrating at having to go through applications & interviews seeing this job is pretty much my 3rd job in 15 years. Thanks again and I wish you all a happy & safe christmas :icon_sant: and a drunken_s new year

Sir Stefan

Agent Provocateur
Foundation Member
thanks to you all for saying what i already thought....I will def look for another job and im going to stop going beyond my call of duty...It's just frustrating at having to go through applications & interviews seeing this job is pretty much my 3rd job in 15 years. Thanks again and I wish you all a happy & safe christmas :icon_sant: and a drunken_s new year

Sound idea Alexis.... but just a word of advice, although you have probably worked this out for yourself already.... Times they are a little tougher than they were a year ago.... so best to hang on to your current job, whilst you line up a replacement job, so that you wont miss out on any regular income.... Good luck and have a wonderful and safe festive season.... regards SirStefan

swingingstories

Gold Member
Dear Alexis,

It has been a few years now, but I used to work in Personnel Management, so I do have some suggestions for you.

Firstly, things may have changed under Little Kev, but my understanding is that you are ENTITLED under Awards/State Laws/Federal Laws, whichever is applicable, (I think it is across the board) to utilise your own sick leave if you need to take care of an immediate family member, including, but not limited to your children.

Now, the amount of sick leave you are entitled to in a twelve month period may vary, somewhere between 5-10 days (more if you work for the Gov) and you may have to provide a doctor's certificate (for yourself, or the person you are caring for). However, as long as you comply with the conditions, you should not be challenged over have one day off to care for a sick child.

Your best bet would be to contact your human resources person, or alternatively, contact the relevant state body for information regarding your conditions of employment. It used to be Wageline here in WA, but that may have changed now. Either way, let your fingers do the walking, get the information posted to you in writing, and the next time your bundle of joy has an upchuck day, or a sniffle, stay home and be Mum, guilt free, and shove the paperwork under bossman's nose.

Good luck,
Let us know how you go,
Love
swingingstories

C

cougar

unfortunately "society" wants single mums to work, but bitch when they need time out to look after the kids. what? do they expect us to b in 2 places at once?

Bluegrass9

Diamond Member
Some bosses let the mothers bring their children into work. I wonder if the boss would let his wife help out by looking after your sick daughter if you are such valuable team member.

Okay I am dreaming. He could always bring in a temp.

I was once a supervisor and allowed one of my staff flexible hours so he could share looking after his child. :walk:

NB: Yes this is an old thread but the problem never seems to be solved by many stupid managers.