Wonderful words ... a new one for me ... Paraprosdokian ...!!!

S

Steve Bond

... a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising and/or unexpected; frequently used in a humorous situation.
Examples ... "Where there's a will, I want to be in it"

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!

Ok people ... more examples please ... you know you love this stuff!!

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
What ever goes up will come back down, unless it`s a price, your age or inflation.

For every negative, there needs to be a positive.

F

Farm Boy

Deja vu? Again .

not sure I am on the right channel but still .

S

Steve Bond

Thank you Mary-Anne ...
I'm a romantic at heart ... however remember ... behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman!

S

Steve Bond

Mary-anne ... the Lotus flower is regarded in many cultures as a symbol of purity, enlightenment, self-regeneration and re-birth. Its characteristics are a perfect analogy for the human condition; even when its roots are in the dirtiest waters, the Lotus produces the most beautiful flower.

Happy2

Legend Member
Steve I always thought it was Behind every successful man was a woman Behind every successful woman there is a man Waiting to take the credit

C

colbb123

I have been wrong, once. I thought I had made a mistake. As it turned out, I hadn't.

S

Steve Bond

Good one ... I enjoy being in front or behind a good woman!!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is called research!

Happy2

Legend Member
If one man makes a retreat it is cowardice
If a whole army lowers its arms & runs away it is a tactical withdrawal

S

Steve Bond

If one man makes a retreat it is cowardice
If a whole army lowers its arms & runs away it is a tactical withdrawal

Mate ... i think we're getting the hang of this ...

You do not need a parachute to skydive; you only need a parachute to skydive twice!

F

Farm Boy

A good landing is when you can walk away a excellent landing and you can use the plane again .

Happy2

Legend Member
There's a fine line between a passionate embrace And holding her down so she cant get away

F

Farm Boy

Ok I know that this is hopeless here are some better examples.

"He was at his best when the going was good." —Alistair Cooke on the Duke of Windsor[1]
"There but for the grace of God — goes God." —Winston Churchill[1]
"If I am reading this graph correctly — I'd be very surprised." —Stephen Colbert[8]
"You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing—after they have tried everything else." —Winston Churchill[8]
"On his feet he wore...blisters." —Aristotle[9]
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx[10]
"A modest man, who has much to be modest about." —supposedly Winston Churchill, about Clement Attlee[10]
"She looks as though she's been poured into her clothes, and forgot to say 'when'." —P. G. Wodehouse[10]
"I like going to the park and watching the children run around because they don't know I'm using blanks." —Emo Philips[10]
"If I could just say a few words... I'd be a better public speaker." —Homer Simpson[11]
"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long." —Mitch Hedberg[3]
"I sleep eight hours a day and at least ten at night." —Bill Hicks[3]

A

Alecia the Foxx

If you love something, set it free.
If it comes back to you, it's yours.
If it doesen't, hunt it down and kill it.

F

Farm Boy

The Wembley rub and tug thread refers to a Fun King massage parlor is that a Paraprosdokian?

S

Steve Bond

Ok I know that this is hopeless here are some better examples.

"He was at his best when the going was good." —Alistair Cooke on the Duke of Windsor[1]
"There but for the grace of God — goes God." —Winston Churchill[1]
"If I am reading this graph correctly — I'd be very surprised." —Stephen Colbert[8]
"You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing—after they have tried everything else." —Winston Churchill[8]
"On his feet he wore...blisters." —Aristotle[9]
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx[10]
"A modest man, who has much to be modest about." —supposedly Winston Churchill, about Clement Attlee[10]
"She looks as though she's been poured into her clothes, and forgot to say 'when'." —P. G. Wodehouse[10]
"I like going to the park and watching the children run around because they don't know I'm using blanks." —Emo Philips[10]
"If I could just say a few words... I'd be a better public speaker." —Homer Simpson[11]
"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long." —Mitch Hedberg[3]
"I sleep eight hours a day and at least ten at night." —Bill Hicks[3]

omg fb ... Magnificent, I think you're a paraprosdokianaholic ..!!

Happy2

Legend Member

omg fb ... Magnificent, I think you're a paraprosdokianaholic ..!!

paraprosdokianaholic ? Sounds like something the doctor would diagnose so you could get out of jury duty

When you are thinking I will fight fire with fire
Remember the Fire Department uses water

S

Steve Bond

paraprosdokianaholic ? Sounds like something the doctor would diagnose so you could get out of jury duty

When you are thinking I will fight fire with fire
Remember the Fire Department uses water

the only challenge being the form ... is there enough space in the box to write 'suffers acute paraprosdokianaholicism'

Happy2

Legend Member
the only challenge being the form ... is there enough space in the box to write 'suffers acute paraprosdokianaholicism'

But it would look better and fit better than: Lazy mongrel with no community spirit

I am terrified of spirits Unless there in a bottle

A

AlexandraSilk

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
If you love something, set it free.
If it comes back to you, it's yours.
If it doesen't, hunt it down and kill it.

My favourite too.........lol......there have been a few who set out to "kill" me.............:bom:........but as you would say in German......."Unkraut vergeht nicht".

R.xxxxxxxxxxxx

R.xxxxxxxxx

Happy2

Legend Member
......oh, how good is this one......brilliant!!!!!.......:)

I am with Fudd that is very good Alexandra
May be what the one I know is based on
Light is faster than sound Unless you made a arse of yourself at the bar with the mother in-law is present