windows 8 .1

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
i received my warranty replacement windows 8.1 laptop yesterday morning . i spent most of the day and night getting to know how to operate the operating system . i took advantage of youtube for instructions and that sent me a little astray . the location of the apps is towards the bottom of screen not to the right as stated by youtube .

is the any other info that you all would like to share for further user's ??

John

Happy2

Legend Member
I had heard that the new windows was quite a departure from 7
Is the difference really very marked JL

glen

Gold Member
To me Win 8 is a tablet touch program that eventually we will all be forced to adapt to. For business its a bitch!, I downloaded a program that restored much of Win 8 to a Win 7 look alike.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
I havent been a big fan of Microshaft. Stuffin consumers around with their "innovative" redesign of the interface. I havent tried windoze 8.1 yet. But i heard it starts up with the tile or is it called mosaic which was originally designed for tablets and windoze phones. It's pretty useless for a computer user who has not got a touch screen screen. But you can bypass this apparently and gain the good old desktop. That doesn't make it any more secure though.

People should really turn their attention to Linux, it's Open Source which means it's free public license. Free to download, free to install, free apps.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
It's been around for a while. Give it a go. I reckon the most user friendly one is Ubuntu. You are less likely to catch a virus. Windoze is highly vulnerable, you pay for an operating system thats full of holes.

TheRoamingEyeball

Gold Member
People should really turn their attention to Linux, it's Open Source which means it's free public license. Free to download, free to install, free apps.

Good to know Homer! Thanks for the info.

My latest laptop came with Windows 8, I got the offer of a "free upgrade" to 8.1 but passed, I know the system I have now and really am not fussed by my OS as long as I can do what I want on the thing, internet misc, study misc, and gaming misc :D

Sexty8

Sexty8 - you do me , and then I owe you one!
Diamond Member
Current problem is the Internet Explorer 11 comes with it and many sites don't work properly with it (including this one!)...Firefox, Chrome, Safari instead...

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
Current problem is the Internet Explorer 11 comes with it and many sites don't work properly with it (including this one!)...Firefox, Chrome, Safari instead...
thanks Sexty i did find that out when website did the last upgrade