Will someone please tell me

F

Farm Boy

Will someone please tell me were did the idea that the Australian people elect the Prime Minster come from?

To take this further last night I heard a ALP political commentator advocate party members should elect a political party's leader, Why did he think this ?

Holford

Gold Member
It comes from notion that we are suedo yanks I guess and the media need to deal with personalities rather than party policy. You vote for a local rep for a party's policies but no one gets this. Just like we are not a democracy but rather a republic.

Happy2

Legend Member
I agree There is only one electorate that is voting for the man or woman who just happens to be the local rep and may have been selected by his fellow members of parliament to lead that party
We like some other countries now seem to be more into the cult of personality And assume we are voting for either Rudd or Abbott
I am pleased I will be voting only for my local rep I would hate to think I was personally to blame for voting for either Abbott or Rudd
Who knows we may get lucky and Abbott and Rudd may even be rejected by their own electorates
I am not religious but may be if we all offer up the same prayer on the eve of the election

C

colzilla

Not to sure who my representative is but it's some c##t from either the liberal or labour party.

A

Al Swearengen

Totally agree on the cult of personality. They need to start bringing out some policies. I vote for whatever policies are up at the time.
I wonder if the rise of the 24 hour news coverage has a hand in the rise of the cult of personality?