Why don't they taste as good?!

T

Tania Admin

Back in time, off to the corner Deli, and satisfying our sweet tooth, Cobbers, Choc Buds and Spearmint leaves,etc, tasted awesome. Now that flavour hit seems to be gone.
What things do you think taste different now?

Is it our maturing taste buds? What is going on? :(

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy;- Fritz, I remember Fritz as a young lad would taste fresh and yummy from a Butcher shop. Today I would not bother buying any, they are all taste very blame.

T

Tania Admin

Ahoy;- Fritz, I remember Fritz as a young lad would taste fresh and yummy from a Butcher shop. Today I would not bother buying any, they are all taste very blame.
My Aunty often brings me back "Real" Fritz when she travels to South Australia. I'm not sure where exactly she get's it from but it's the same taste I always remembered as a child. I will find out where she get's it from HP and sell you the information,,,,,just jokes, I will share the info:)

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy Thank-you Tania

My Aunty often brings me back "Real" Fritz when she travels to South Australia. I'm not sure where exactly she get's it from but it's the same taste I always remembered as a child. I will find out where she get's it from HP and sell you the information,,,,,just jokes, I will share the info:)

Happy2

Legend Member
I agree the products are not as good or if they are they keep making the product smaller so as not to put the price up

The humble frankfurt or saveloy These were treats when I was a kid Now they are tasteless sad imitations of their past glory

And the old fave the wagon Wheel Is that really the same size as when we were kids
The manufacturer insists they are but I do not believe them

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
Fritz? I'll have to look that up...

It is referred to as "polony" in Western Australia, "luncheon meat" in northern areas of New Zealand, "fritz" in South Australia and far western areas of New South Wales, "Belgium" and "devon" in Victoria, Tasmania, Queensland and East New South Wales, as well as "Belgium" in southern areas of New Zealand. It is also referred to as "bung" in some parts of Tasmania. Devon would be classed as "luncheon meat" in the UK. Originally known in some parts of Australia as "German sausage", this name fell out of favour during World War I when Australia was at war with Germany. It is similar in appearance and taste to the bologna sausage and the cooked pork sausage known in Australia as Berliner. In Hungary, it is called "párizsi" or rarely "parizer", and can be bought sliced or in sticks. It is considered to be a cheap meat product.

XLNC

Legend Member
Mmm, wouldn't you like to have a bung sandwich... Sounds delicious.

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy;- I would agree about the "Wagon Wheel" it was much-much larger when we where lads.
Another one was the Milky Bar Kid, white chocolate. In the bad old days they tasted great, today it is very blame considering its white chocolate

I agree the products are not as good or if they are they keep making the product smaller so as not to put the price up

The humble frankfurt or saveloy These were treats when I was a kid Now they are tasteless sad imitations of their past glory

And the old fave the wagon Wheel Is that really the same size as when we were kids

Happy2

Legend Member
Fritz? I'll have to look that up...

It is referred to as "polony" in Western Australia, "luncheon meat" in northern areas of New Zealand, "fritz" in South Australia and far western areas of New South Wales, "Belgium" and "devon" in Victoria, Tasmania, Queensland and East New South Wales, as well as "Belgium" in southern areas of New Zealand. It is also referred to as "bung" in some parts of Tasmania. Devon would be classed as "luncheon meat" in the UK. Originally known in some parts of Australia as "German sausage", this name fell out of favour during World War I when Australia was at war with Germany. It is similar in appearance and taste to the bologna sausage and the cooked pork sausage known in Australia as Berliner. In Hungary, it is called "párizsi" or rarely "parizer", and can be bought sliced or in sticks. It is considered to be a cheap meat product.
Fritz How long was it called this do you know Your XLNC? I mean with S Australia having such a strong German heritage Was it initially a derogatory term coined by those of us with a Anglo-Celtic background

XLNC

Legend Member
...And the old fave the wagon Wheel Is that really the same size as when we were kids
Neither do I. It's been a while since I had one but I do remember thinking surely my hand isn't that much bigger now than as a teenager (sadly nothing else is either). I never took note of the weight though, so hard to compare.

But still prefer them to a garlic snail. "Eat the Wagon Wheel!"

XLNC

Legend Member
Fritz How long was it called this do you know Your XLNC? I mean with S Australia having such a strong German heritage Was it initially a derogatory term coined by those of us with a Anglo-Celtic background
Well, going by Tania and h/p, it sounds like they still call it Fritz! Interesting, not only do we have the Queen's B'day holiday in different months, we can't even agree on what to call our sausage. (Mine's called Pierre btw.)

XLNC

Legend Member
Just had an epiphany. The reason Taswegians call theirs bung must be coz one of their forebears told his sister "I'm just going to bung my sausage in there" (meaning the fridge), but she misunderstood and opened her legs. He shrugged, dropped his pants and thought "What could possibly go wrong?"

And so the family/population has called the sausage bung to this day.

Happy2

Legend Member
Just had an epiphany. The reason Taswegians call theirs bung must be coz one of their forebears told his sister "I'm just going to bung my sausage in there" (meaning the fridge), but she misunderstood and opened her legs. He shrugged, dropped his pants and thought "What could possibly go wrong?"

And so the family/population has called the sausage bung to this day.
Is it racist if we are disparaging our own ? If no I really like that Your XLNC
If it is SHAME on you xlnc

T

Tania Admin

No Way! Wagon Wheels were almost Pizza Singles size when I was a kid. Now they are closer to an Oreo in size.

Happy2

Legend Member
No Way! Wagon Wheels were almost Pizza Singles size when I was a kid. Now they are closer to an Oreo in size.
The manufacturer will say a 7 yr olds hands make the wagon wheel look like a pizza
But a grown man's say Well now it looks like a petite bagel

T

Tania Admin

Well, going by Tania and h/p, it sounds like they still call it Fritz! Interesting, not only do we have the Queen's B'day holiday in different months, we can't even agree on what to call our sausage. (Mine's called Pierre btw.)

Fritz and polony taste very different. Always have. The continental store at the Adelaide markets is proof of this.

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
I'd say its due to the high number of goody goody peeps who r telling us everyday that the foods we grew up on are no good for usn try to change our eating habits or sumthing like that
thats my opinion n im sticking with thst so there​

XLNC

Legend Member
Don't worry, bepp, the local butcher's got the goods for you...

08_hilary_briss.jpg

T

Tania Admin

I'd say its due to the high number of goody goody peeps who r telling us everyday that the foods we grew up on are no good for usn try to change our eating habits or sumthing like that
thats my opinion n im sticking with thst so there​
It's funny you say that because I grow so much of my own food. When I get a sweet tooth I head outside and munch on fresh fruits from my yard and they most definitely taste a thousand times better than anything you buy at a supermarket.

As for new season lamb,,,, yummmmmmmmm

Happy2

Legend Member
I will go back to my
Why does everyone insist on lamb It is "Sheep Lite" Have a animal that has lived a little as well as develop some taste Hogget is still my favourite

I just feel Lamb is another example of New Zealands Brilliant advertising expertise

But then again who am I to complain Putting those cute fluffy balls of wool on to the abbotoirs truck as their mothers bleat in misery of losing yet another daughter before she has grown is great fun Bring on next Spring :)

T

Tania Admin

I will go back to my
Why does everyone insist on lamb It is "Sheep Lite" Have a animal that has lived a little as well as develop some taste Hogget is still my favourite

I just feel Lamb is another example of New Zealands Brilliant advertising expertise

But then again who am I to complain Putting those cute fluffy balls of wool on to the abbotoirs truck as their mothers bleat in misery of losing yet another daughter before she has grown is great fun Bring on next Spring :)

I am also a big fan of mutton, beef, chicken, fish, actually I'm just a big fan of real food :p

Happy2

Legend Member
I am also a big fan of mutton, beef, chicken, fish, actually I'm just a big fan of real food :p
Good girl
Now lets invite Roche around for Lunch and she can eat her Tofu while we eat food ;)

Last edited:

XTREME

I AM NOT A ROBOT
Gold Member
maybe as we get older, we grow out of things. the taste still the same but newer foods and newer flavour makes the older food we had taste different.
unless its our mummas cooking coz it always will taste good lol

Happy2

Legend Member
maybe as we get older, we grow out of things. the taste still the same but newer foods and newer flavour makes the older food we had taste different.
unless its our mummas cooking coz it always will taste good lol
We have romantic ideas of the past I remember my father down the pub one day and some "Young Fellas" in their late 70's early 80's were talking of the Good ol days I still remember dad saying
"The good ol days? What was so good about living through the depression and WWII "
We forget the ick only remember the nice

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
I will go back to my

Sniff sniff wat a tearjerker ending i never thought of that.....mayb mum can come also;)

Gobble_Doc

Diamond Member
I will go back to my

I too love hoggett. It's just really hard to find a butcher that regularly stock it. I normally have to order it in.
GD

Jaylily

Gold Member
I just don't think lollies are made as they use to be, I think companies now try to save money and short cut a lot of things, the old spearmint leaves use to be very minty now they barely have a mint flavour at all.

N

Naughty Thoughts

I wonder how much taste buds wear out over time?

I'd imagine that things like strong flavours, really hot drinks, smoking, some medicines and other factors would contribute to the taste buds not being as effective any more.

Also, tasting the forbidden. As kids we could only have lollies and stuff on special occasions, when we were lucky enough to get pocket money or basically when someone else allowed us to. Being an adult means you could go out and buy kilos of lollies every weekend if you wanted to, so it is no longer forbidden.

I know I've had times when I've gone months without having any lollies, then when the opportunity finally comes up... yum! Though I don't imagine "don't have any for half a year so it tastes better" being a popular option.

JustMe

Gold Member
I just don't think lollies are made as they use to be, I think companies now try to save money and short cut a lot of things, the old spearmint leaves use to be very minty now they barely have a mint flavour at all.
Yes. They probably substitute with artificial flavours rather than the real thing.