What's the use of a census?

B

BigBlackCock

I know the official line - ability to compile trends and monitor growth allowing the authorities to plan facilities like schools etc.

I have problems with that. We've had a census for years and with all their info:

Schools are badly planned with insufficient resources

The Police are understaffed

Private hospitals are struggling to cope.

Traffic and urban planning's not the best in Perth

We have skills shortages and labour shortages in some sectors.

Finally I understand that by the time the information is compiled, it's data that out of date.

A

Alecia the Foxx

Our's got cancelled this time round because of all the people displaced by the Christchurch earthquakes.

svengali

Foundation Member
Sshh!!

Don't tell anyone but there is a number written in invisible ink on every paper copy which reveals your identity. Do it online and your computer's I.P. number is recorded.

This information is scanned by various sinister Government agencies and sold to marketers etc to ty and cover some of the massive costs of Governnment incompetence. "They" also look for the telltale signs of such criminal activity as cheating on tax, terrorism and driving big expensive 4wd's around suburban streets.

You have been warned and now I must go as I hear a knock at my door.......................:)

F

Farm Boy

I know the official line - ability to compile trends and monitor growth allowing the authorities to plan facilities like schools etc.

I have problems with that. We've had a census for years and with all their info:

Schools are badly planned with insufficient resources

The Police are understaffed

Private hospitals are struggling to cope.

Traffic and urban planning's not the best in Perth

We have skills shortages and labour shortages in some sectors.

Finally I understand that by the time the information is compiled, it's data that out of date.

This is the dick-wit who thinks farmers whinge.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
I got a curious question. For WL's, how do they fill in the census? I mean, where do they say they were on the night of zee census? And those running a brothel in the suburbs, hmmm, how and what do they fill in on the census form? N/A? lol

W

WRXXXR

I got a curious question. For WL's, how do they fill in the census? I mean, where do they say they were on the night of zee census? And those running a brothel in the suburbs, hmmm, how and what do they fill in on the census form? N/A? lol

I reckon most people fill it out beforehand.. I'm busy on Tuesdays nights so i filled it in when it suited me.

I didn't see one thing in all that rubbish that seems to be of any real importance to the government. Half the nformation is available on someones tax return.

"how did you get to work this morning" instead of really asking what's peoples view on having slightly better than 3rd world freeways and public transport system in WA

antonov

Gold Member
I reckon most people fill it out beforehand.. I'm busy on Tuesdays nights so i filled it in when it suited me.

I didn't see one thing in all that rubbish that seems to be of any real importance to the government. Half the nformation is available on someones tax return.

"how did you get to work this morning" instead of really asking what's peoples view on having slightly better than 3rd world freeways and public transport system in WA

I don't want to sound like some nutter in support of the government, but the census is supposed to be a "snapshot" of Australia on that day. That is why they ask how you got to work, rather than your opinion on how you would have preferred to have got to work. There are other forums for doing that.

And the info on your tax file is confidential to the tax department.

B

BigBlackCock

But Antonov, their advertisments state they use the info for better planning.

Where is the planning? All those things I've pointed out are stated constantly by the media and people on this forum. Can all of us have got it wrong?

The Government clearly get it wrong from their snapshot then. So... what's the use of the census because it can't be for better planning.

A

Alecia the Foxx

I used to consider that there was an element of "Big Brother" in the census findings, but after our's got cancelled following the Christchurch's earthquakes, I started to think not. I mean, what better way to keep an eye on transients than to do a census to find out where everybody really is at a time like that? So, I tend to now think that it is meant be for future planning purposes, even if those efforts are bungled by thick goverment officials in the medium to long term.

W

WRXXXR

Where is the planning? All those things I've pointed out are stated constantly by the media and people on this forum. Can all of us have got it wrong?

The Government clearly get it wrong from their snapshot then. So... what's the use of the census because it can't be for better planning.

Agreed. Antonov, if you can explain how writing down my place of work (rather than industry) is beneficial to any planning, I'm all ears.

A snapshot would be asking how long it took it to drive the 15kms to work rather than how I got there.

Fudd

Foundation Member
...I tend to now think that it is meant be for future planning purposes, even if those efforts are bungled by thick goverment officials in the medium to long term.

...absolutely agree, Alecia. Not surprising when governments are too focussed on Polls rather than actually governing.

Fudd :)

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Just out of curiosity........what happens if you don't fill out the form?
Do they come after you and 'big brother' you?

R.xxxxxxxxx

whiteknight

Silver Member
I don't want to sound like some nutter in support of the government, but the census is supposed to be a "snapshot" of Australia on that day. That is why they ask how you got to work, rather than your opinion on how you would have preferred to have got to work. There are other forums for doing that.

And the info on your tax file is confidential to the tax department.

Some tax information is shared with other govt agencies centrlink and child support agency and bureau of stats are three for starters.

How secure is the census information they dont even provide an envelope
for the form so the collector knows your personal details.

Miss Delights

Diamond Member

Myself & one of the girls who are staying at 181 tonight had to fill it out & I had to fill out one for the company..was quite funny! I just told the girls to put adult entertainer or sex worker.."f*@k em" lol

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Can someone please help me with mine???
I`m not sure if I should tell them about my multiple personalities...

svengali

Foundation Member
Can someone please help me with mine???
I`m not sure if I should tell them about my multiple personalities...

Too easy!!;D

Just make your dominant personality "person 1" and the others as person 2,3,4 etc. If you run out of numbers on the one form just ask for another.

antonov

Gold Member

Got a better idea? Let's hear it...

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
Myself & one of the girls who are staying at 181 tonight had to fill it out & I had to fill out one for the company..was quite funny! I just told the girls to put adult entertainer or sex worker.."f*@k em" lol

LoL...well at least your being honest. I heard on the radio the guy from Census WA was saying there is a hefty fine for misleading info. So they must have some sort of info to compare it with?

I wonder how many hrs of house work does everyone put in? lol...would it raise eyebrows if you submit more than 30hrs?

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Its Simple.......Big Brother, Little sister, Aunt Maria, Uncle Chin.......................
Arrrrrrrr all watching you, and they need more and more Data.
Lets not forget the Banks and Government.