• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

This is your life? What an insipid pile of shit.

Are we morons for allowing this on TV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Numpty

Illegitimi non carborundum
Legend Member
Watched this for the first time moments ago. Ian Thorpe was the ”surprise guest”, what a load of bollocks!

First time I saw this show was with Mohammed Ali when I was 5 or 6, he was hustled from the location where they sprung it on him, to the studio with minimal time and little pomp and exposed to his past, took him way out of his comfort zone and like the legend he was…….he rose to the occasion like a champ , totally live.

They had some failures too with this format , but at least that kept the concept honest

Watched channel 7’s effort last night……….spontaneity score = f@@k all, Australian commercial TV is, was & always will be totally f@@@ed as long as it continues to be run by morons, and watched by gullible twats, me too on this occasion (7 minutes), but no more.

mrys

Legend Member
Watched this for the first time moments ago. Ian Thorpe was the ”surprise guest”, what a load of bollocks!

First time I saw this show was with Mohammed Ali when I was 5 or 6, he was hustled from the location where they sprung it on him, to the studio with minimal time and little pomp and exposed to his past, took him way out of his comfort zone and like the legend he was…….he rose to the occasion like a champ , totally live.

They had some failures too with this format , but at least that kept the concept honest

Watched channel 7’s effort last night……….spontaneity score = f@@k all, Australian commercial TV is, was & always will be totally f@@@ed as long as it continues to be run by morons, and watched by gullible twats, me too on this occasion (7 minutes), but no more.
Couldn't agree more Numpty! I refuse to watch free to air TV in Australia. Haven't seen a program from a local channel in 14 years. So many better options are available.

Chief

Diamond Member
Never watch Australian free to air television.
Especially in Western Australia where the local “newspaper” is just a mirror of the insipid and crass kerry stokes empire.

sabredog

Steppin' Out
Legend Member
I have not watched FTA TV for nearly three years. It is all a steaming pile of reality show driven bovine excreta.

lonelyman

Gold Member
Free to air is designed to get the most viewers for advertising revenue. Hence we get all the sensationalist rubbish and "analysis" of A Current Affair, Last Night Tonight (sic) et al. Research has shown that most television programmes are understood by anyone with the vocabulary of a 12 year old - hence we have programmes aimed at the lowest common denominator.

The ABC, SBS, National Geographic are more cerebral but the fact is that Australia's population, like the rest of the world, is dumbing down. It's worsened because of cable TV so the commercial FTA try even harder to telecast rubbish.

People dismiss the ABC but the fact is that it has and continues to give birth to many of the best brains in the arts, comedy, news and current affairs. Andrew Denton, Richard Roxburgh, the Doug Anthony All Stars, Eric Bana all got their start in the ABC and moved on and only then were taken up by others.

The BBC suffers the same thing. Isn't it scary that more people in the UK knew the full name of David Beckham's foot injury (when he was his peak) but didn't know who the Prime Minister was? I'm not trying to read too much into this all but the truth is that the best brains will then leave Australia's shores and go to places which appreciate them more.

Insipid rubbish? Indeed - stand by for more.

Ah bless!

Last edited:

TantraShiva

Legend Member
Studies show we are loosing our IQ. Theres a show on Ten with Todd Sampson that will cover it this year.

Theres some good stuff on free to air but the majority is inane crap. 😭

Darrel Somers red faces anyone?

stovo82

Diamond Member
Free to air is good for sports. News on ABC and SBS are pretty good. I am no fan of the endless reality TV shows.

WildBrumby

Just A Former Rider In This Online Rodeo
Legend Member
I vaguely remember a big sell for Foxtel in the early days was that you can pay the subscription and watch ad-free television. Now you still pay a subscription but have ads as well. Double dipping bastards. There are still some programs ad-free but not a great deal.