They don't get it!!

livinlife

Silver Member
Right lane hoggers! What can be done to get them to bugger off the right lane?

Back from where I came from, flashing headlights and a honk is a norm. But it's different here. Even if your vehicle is so close to theirs that your bumper's almost glued to each other, they won't budge! :angry4:

Would it be rude if I flash my lights? Or just give a soft beep?

F

FatJack48

Yes they do, they just don't care because they're running their own race. Perhaps you should try pulling them over privately.

B

BigBlackCock

livinlife. can you explain the context. What's the speed limit on the road and what speed are you going at?

I know the road rules but I've come across MANY people who've complained and this makes me curious. If it's a two lane road, you're supposed to observe the speed limit and stick to the left lane and only occupy the right lane if overtaking. Usually the speed limit's 60.

Then you get the scenario where there are two cars at the 60kph speed limit occupying the two lanes. Irritating admittedly but technically, apart from the non-overtaking, doing nothing wrong.

So along comes a third car behind these two complaining. My question is that the 3rd car shouldn't be speeding in any case - unless it's an emergency vehicle.

And yes, I always stick to the left lane.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
But isn't it (the right lane) strictly speaking a passing lane? So, as soon as the second car in the right lane (relating to BBC's scenario) is not overtaking the one in the left lane it shouldn't be in the right lane.
Drivers who linger around in the right lane without apparent reason are not only irritating and annoying but dangerous as well because other drivers are tempted to overtake them in the left lane.

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

B

BigBlackCock

I agree Rochelle, but can't help pondering why there's a need for an irritated driver in the situation that the OP describes - if both drivers are following the speed limit?

Doesn't that then mean that the irritated 3rd driver is speeding - which he or she shouldn't do in the first place? No?

W

WRXXR

BBC, who cares if they are speeding?

If you going to do the speed limit, sit in the left lane and let people pass.

N

Naughty Thoughts

I usually travel at less than the speed limit (on highways) because in my vehicle it is more economical at 80km/h than at 90 or 100 - but I'll definitely move over into the left lane to let everyone else go past.

If there are two vehicles doing the speed limit and occupying both lanes then the one in the right lane is breaking the law - there is a law requiring drivers to stay in the left lane. So in that case (assuming there are no traffic interruptions such as a set of lights up ahead) the vehicle in the right lane is required to slow down and move in behind the vehicle already in the left lane.

In medium to heavy traffic conditions (such as driving into the city in the morning) then there is little any of the drivers can do. There is no point in keeping left or trying to do the speed limit as everyone will be crawling at around 40km/h anyway.

I do find it interesting the number of people that forget that the black numbers in a red circle represent the speed limit, not a suggested average travelling speed.

B

BigBlackCock

WR, if you're speeding then it's a bit much (or alot hypocritical) to play high and mighty and expect everyone else to follow the road rules if you're not. No? Yes?

If anything, the speeder seems to be a bigger danger than anyone else methinks.

Happy2

Legend Member
Have the posters here noticed how easy driving on freeways etc is in the Eastern states
Especially when it comes to merging? It is bit of a shock to system when you get back to WA

T

Trevsa10

Donot worry about them I know they are a pest but a fair number do it to annoy .IF a soft beep will not shift them well they are most likely doing it just to get someone worked up > and why fall into giving the pea brains pleasure

W

WRXXR

BBC, i must admit I have a heavy foot in one of my cars (hard not to when it breaks the speed limit on the freeway in under 5 seconds) but it's no different to escalators. Everyone should stand to one side respectfully so those people in a hurry can run :)

antonov

Gold Member
As far as I am concerned (and the law), whether you are driving at the speed limit or not, if you are not passing someone, you have no right driving in the centre lane. I have done a lot of driving in Europe and no-one would ever consider for one second driving in the passing lane unless they are passing. The traffic there flows smoothly, people pull in and out of the fast lane as needed and there is no need to "undertake" to get past anyone.

And as far as the argument about "if I am travelling at the speed limit no one should be wanting to come past me anyway" is concerned: Do you guys ever look around while you are driving? ie in front as well as behind? The number of times I have been in the left lane, and come up behind a slow moving vehicle or merging traffic, and been forced to hit the anchors because some inconsiderate twerp is coming up behind me side-by-side like a log-jam in a river and cutting me (and the guy next to him) off from moving past the that slow mover!

By the way, if you do "forget" and transgress in Europe you get full beam headlights boring in through the back window until you move across.

B

BigBlackCock

That may be so explorationist but surely then if you're going to change lanes, it would have been obvious that there was a car in front on the right hand lane at the same speed as the one in front of you in your left lane?

So what would have been the point?

Also, the premise was that the two people were following the speed limit - so everyone should follow it. And that's why I asked the OP what the context of it was.

On that basis, if you're not speeding and everyone has been following the speed limit, there'd be no need to pass someone unless you're an emergency vehicle or changing lanes with the intention to turn right - all of which still mean following the speed limit, isn't it?

Oh well, I guess 'til the OP clarifies the context. I'm a bit alarmed that
Even if your vehicle is so close to theirs that your bumper's almost glued to each other, they won't budge!
to quote him is actually as dangerous if not moreso.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
People that hog the right lane really annoy me as well, who cares if your doing the speed limit. If you looked in your mirrior you would see me approaching and should move to the left lane.
If I want to speed and pass you then let me suffer the results if I get caught.

racer

Bronze Member
Tailgaters annoy me more than right-lane hoggers.

I'm in the left lane doing the speed limit - Move over if you need to go faster, and don't just cut back into my lane and slow down afterwards!

The standard of driving has really deteriorated IMO - People just aren't patient and courteous anymore. If you need your fix of speed go to a freakin track-day.

B

BigBlackCock

Then billy, playing devil's advocate here, surely then using that rationale - if that person wants to NOT speed and not let you pass, let them suffer the results if they get caught for roadhogging.

Speeding causes accidents and that makes other people suffer too, doesn't it? That's why I'm asking for the OP's context to throw some light.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
In your eyes would it matter what the context was??? From what I have read so far, you seem to feel that the speeding should only be allowed if it`s to let an emergency vehicle pass.
What if there was no speeding involved, just that both cars in both lanes were going slower then the speed limit and you just wanted to get past?

livinlife

Silver Member
livinlife. can you explain the context. What's the speed limit on the road and what speed are you going at?

I'm ranting in the context of driving down the freeway where cars on the right hand lane are travelling at 90km/hr. Mind you this wasn't during a peak hour and it was clear ahead

I for one am guilty for tailgatting when I'm in a rush, patience must have detoriated together with age hah.. IMHO drivers should really keep to the left lane unless overtaking regardless whether u're travelling at speed limit. Playing 'police', making sure that everyone's being a good citizen while cars stack up and causes a jam.

livinlife

Silver Member

I'm ranting in the context of driving down the freeway where cars on the right hand lane are travelling at 90km/hr. Mind you this wasn't during a peak hour and it was clear ahead

I for one am guilty for tailgatting when I'm in a rush, patience must have detoriated together with age hah.. IMHO drivers should really keep to the left lane unless overtaking regardless whether u're travelling at speed limit. Playing 'police', making sure that everyone's being a good citizen while cars stack up and causes a jam.

B

BigBlackCock

Yes actually billy the context does matter. If the cars are following the speed limit then what's the big deal - no one should be speeding in any case.

No, I don't feel speeding should only be allowed if it's to let an emergency vehicle - I'm saying the right lane shouldn't be blocked if there's an emergency vehicle. The speeding aspect doesn't even come into it where there's an emergency vehicle. That lane should be freed up for the emergency vehicle on a two lane road.

If both cars were below the speed limit, I've no problem with that then, obviously both cars should be in the left lane as per the highway code.

Aah, livinlife has clarified it. Have to differ with you about the playing "Police" :police: bit there livinlife - I suspect most people who hog (no pun intended) the lanes are either ignorant of the rules or are unaware of what they're doing on a two lane road.

That being said, on a freeway, it's usually 3 lanes. If the speed limit is 100kmh then the car has a right to be on the right lane doing 90 surely. You're not allowed to be less than 10kmh of the speed limit, so I suspect it'd be a hundred. The third lane is for overtaking or emergency vehicles. Surely the driver is well with his/her rights to be there then as it's for faster moving vehicles - unless of course the car on their left is going at 100.

If it's an 80kmh speed limit then surely the guy's already speeding at 90 - what's stopping another driver such as your good self from overtaking on the 3rd lane? :confused: Is 90kmh (or faster) in that zone already not fast enough to cause an accident and endanger someone else's life?

svengali

Foundation Member
Hmm!! There is also a law about using your brains when driving which raises a couple of scenarios where travelling in other than the left lane is sensible.

On the Freeway heading North from the city - unless you intend exiting at Powis street do not use the left lane because traffic trying to get in from Vincent street always makes a shambles of it.

Where a two-lane road has traffic lights fill both lanes evenly - there is no need for people to get left behind in the left lane while the right lane is nearly empty. (That is why there are two lanes)

B

BigBlackCock

If there is a law about using your brains Svengali, I've yet to see it and yet to see people stick to that (albeit fictitious) law. Great convention though. If people got arrested or fined for not using their brains I'd suspect the Treasury would be laughing all the way to its own bank (the treasury even) or the courts and jails would be brimming.

The hoons would have to take a number.

A

Amber01

I hate ppl who hog the right hand lane (although I must admit i am guilty of doing it without realising it from time to time :p) but if I notice and Im being tail gated I will cross to the left hand lane but yes I flash my lights and beep if they are driving miss daisy!

A

Amber01

Oh and the right hand lane is purely for overtaking so unless you are turning right soon or overtaking you should not be moseying along at 60kph in the right hand lane just coz you can and just coz the speed limit is 60! it is so irritating its called the fast lane for a reason!

B

BigBlackCock

Huh? At no point in any Highway Code book that I can see is it called the fast lane. Can you produce an official one online perhaps? I do agree Amber, one shouldn't be moseying along and road hogging but other motorists shouldn't be speeding or endangering other people's lives either.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WRXXR

Sounds like you drive a prius BBC :p

but i'm sure if we look at every single road fatality in WA, im sure speed as the cause would be a long long way behind people being muppets and not paying attention.

N

Naughty Thoughts

...you should not be moseying along at 60kph in the right hand lane just coz you can and just coz the speed limit is 60!

Uhh, actually - yes. If the speed limit is 60, then 60 is the fastest you can legally travel on that section of road regardless of which lane you are in.

What you meant to say was that people shouldn't hang around in the right lane at all because of the "keep left" rule, right? ;)

B

BigBlackCock

No WR, I don't drive a Prius. But I do have this from the Government's Office of Road Safety website.

Speeding is still the major contributing factor towards death and serious injury on Western Australian roads despite years and years of warnings, education campaigns, speed cameras, radars and police enforcement. Inappropriate or excessive speed was a factor in nearly 30% of all road deaths in 2009. About a third of these deaths occurred on 60 km/h and 70 km/h roads and more than 60% of speeding-related crashes where someone was hospitalised happened in speed zones between 50 and 70 km/h.

The scientific evidence on how speed kills or seriously injured road users is insurmountable. For example, hitting a vehicle or object at 50 km/h is equivalent to dropping a car from a three-storey building. It is simple physics - the faster you travel the harder you hit.

Speeding gives you less time to react to emergencies. Also, when you speed it takes a greater distance to stop and other road users find it hard to gauge how fast you are travelling. The crash risk associated with speeding is extremely frightening. For example, you are twice as likely to have a serious crash travelling at 65 km/h in a 60 km/h zone. You are 4 times more likely to have a serious crash travelling at 70 km/h in a 60 km/h zone and 32 times more likely travelling at 80 km/h in a 60 km/h zone.

There are three types of speeding - low level, excessive and inappropriate:

Low-level speeding is where drivers travel five km/h above posted limits;
Excessive speeding is deliberate with drivers travelling well above posted speed limits; and
Inappropriate speeding is driving too fast for the prevailing conditions such as weather, light, traffic and road conditions.
Travel speed determines the amount of energy transferred in a crash. The human body can only absorb so much impact before death or serious injury result.

Males make up about 85% of speeding-related fatal crashes in Western Australia with young males aged between 17 and 24 comprising nearly half those deaths.

It is no myth that lower speeds save lives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy2

Legend Member
Then of course BBC we have the people who travel at illegal speeds on freeways
But at the other end of the scale Those who insist on doing 60kmh for example
Extremely annoying and dangerous.