The Weekend West: Holiday sex with HIV hookers

asianguy77

Diamond Member
Bought the Weekend West from the deli opposite and sat down with the newspaper and morning coffee over breakfast. Turned a few pages and came across this article (pg 11) Holiday sex with HIV hookers

Talking about one of the girls in Paddys bar "She has sex with at least one Australian tourist each night, picking them up at the iconic Paddys Bar....When she goes back to their hotel, many refuse to use condom. And she never tells them she is HIV positive. It's bad for business""

""Lily is one of more than 500 HIV positive sex workers in Bali who work out of brothels""

So from this report should we be really concern or is this just another beat up by the West in recent months concerning working girls?

What we do know though is, the bad reputation of the behaviour of many young Australian's who drink themselves into a stupor in Bali and mix that with the invincibility of teenagers, this story rings true unfortunately.

svengali

Foundation Member
Yep, Even allowing for a fair dose of hype it is a scary story all right. Snag is they then bring more than Bintang T-shirts back to this country.

It is a pity young Aussies can't behave in a civilised manner, especially as the Balinese, like many Asians are not the best at handling obnoxious behaviour. It is so alien to their culture that they simply do not know how to tell someone to shut up and stop acting like an idiot.

The One

Silver Member
Very scary article, however, it seemed to come from a little left field. I know there has been a bit of media lately about FIFO's travelling to SE Asia and catching STI's, but the article made out that HIV was common, and that sex workers were knowingly spreading it.

The sceptic in me thinks that if this really were the case, i.e the number of people / sex workers who have the virus, are knowingly spreading it and with some 350,000 Aussies travelling to Bali every year; there would be info on this and possibly a quarantine situation like that of the swine flu.

How can you write a one off piece like that and just sign off, with no pretext, no detail about their 'investigation', no quotes from the AMA and no detail about a follow up.

Poor journalism in my opinion.

Holford

Gold Member
Very scary article, however, it seemed to come from a little left field. I know there has been a bit of media lately about FIFO's travelling to SE Asia and catching STI's, but the article made out that HIV was common, and that sex workers were knowingly spreading it.

The sceptic in me thinks that if this really were the case, i.e the number of people / sex workers who have the virus, are knowingly spreading it and with some 350,000 Aussies travelling to Bali every year; there would be info on this and possibly a quarantine situation like that of the swine flu.

How can you write a one off piece like that and just sign off, with no pretext, no detail about their 'investigation', no quotes from the AMA and no detail about a follow up.

Poor journalism in my opinion.

Agreed, scare mongering

T

transparentneon

scarey article... makes me think twice when making my next visit

T

Tania Admin

I feel that alot of it is scare mongering, and would really like to know where these facts have been taken from.
Though on the other hand alot of these girls are working against their will and/or to support their families and I have heard a few stories from friends who have travelled to Bali.
Sex without protection is just plain stupid whether this article is true or not though.
I will do a little investigating as to where they have sourced this information and will get back to you all as soon as I can.
I think it's important to know if this is true, for everyone involved.

stovo82

Diamond Member
Bali and other third world countries contain very poor people who are looking to take advantage of wealthy foreign tourists. It would not surprise me at all that Bali has lots of sex workers who will infect rich foreign tourists.
The infected tourist potentially infects their wife/girl friend and potentially infecting lots of other innocent victims.
Drunk tourists are unlikely to use protection because alcohol makes people do silly things.

Last edited:
T

Tania Admin

I am now changing my own thoughts on this matter, I did some research this morning and found these 2 articles from November 2010 (I also found an article dating back to 2007 which stated the medical statistics as 10% of WLs in Bali being HIV positive then).

Scare mongering, I don't think so, alot of men travel to Bali for the sex and by releasing this information the effects on the tourism industry will cost them money..

What I want to know is why it's taken so long to see this information released in Australia and am curious as to why now?
I did do a search, albeit a quick one, but couldn't find any older reports. I will keep looking into it though.

I have attached the links to 2 of the articles I found, the latter being printed 2 days before the other.

http://www.thebalitimes.com/2010/11/15/one-in-four-bali-prostitutes-hiv-positive/

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/25-of-bali-prostitutes-are-hiv-positive-agency-says/406433

P

Perth boy

I didnt think Bali was much of a sex industry?? I know its thire but not in your face to much. Maybe I was blind when I was in Bali last or just not looking for it. To be frank Bali is not one of the places I like to go to anyway.

In other parts of Asia I have never come across a sex worker that would not use a condom and I travel a hell of a lot to Asia.